Thread: The Cosmic Zoo

The Cosmic Zoo

Authors argue that advanced life is common in the universe.
    A new book of theirs expands the argument.
    http://www.mdpi.com/2075-1729/6/3/25/htm

Well, depending on whether the origin of life occurs "easily" or not....

"The conclusion for other worlds is that if the origin of life can occur rather easily, we should live in a cosmic zoo, as the innovations necessary to lead to complex life will occur with high probability given sufficient time and habitat. On the other hand, if the origin of life is rare, then we might live in a rather empty universe."
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post

"The conclusion for other worlds is that if the origin of life can occur rather easily, we should live in a cosmic zoo, as the innovations necessary to lead to complex life will occur with high probability given sufficient time and habitat. On the other hand, if the origin of life is rare, then we might live in a rather empty universe."
    Yeah...that is my wonder. But it happened so fast, I am almost optimistic sometimes.

Sure hope I'm still alive when we finally explore the caves on Mars and the ice covered oceans on distant moons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post

Yes. What they are arguing against, is the idea that planets with only bacteria-like organisms may be vastly more common that those with more complex living things. That has been argued by the British biochemist Nick Lane — Lane thinks it likely that the great filter is the step from the prokaryote cell (bacteria and archaea) to the eukaryote (the cell which has a nucleus).
    Last edited by Colin Robinson; 2017-Dec-26 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    Yeah...that is my wonder. But it happened so fast, I am almost optimistic sometimes.
    Me too.

The essay linked in the OP doesn't look directly at the question of how life started, although it mentions the theory that there is "limit of complexity below which life cannot function".

Another possibility is that there are actually two limits, one for proto-life (cell-like structures capable of growing and evolving, if they don't have too much competition), and another for life as we know it (with enzymes and a genetic code). Maybe evolution began with proto-cells whose catalytic molecules were way simpler than enzymes, but later, when enzyme-using life first appeared, the proto-cells which lacked enzymes could no longer compete...

(See the WP entry Gard Model)
    Last edited by Colin Robinson; 2017-Dec-26 at 11:24 PM.

In another book on ETI, I read a citing of a paper which, using Bayesian math, showed that, if a civilization needed N events to occur, each of which would normally take much longer than the period of time a star is capable of supporting life, but you "force" the civilization to exist, then the events would divide the life supporting period into N+1 eras, even if they average durations orders of magnitude different from each other. The book used this as an argument for life beginning on Mars (whose surface hardened sooner), to make the periods come out even.
    So if there is only one filter, and it is the origin of life itself, it should have occurred halfway through the sun's biotic lifetime.
    Paul Davies, The Eerie Silence, pages 86-90 Kindle edition.

a wildlife park more than a zoo.
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

Universe is mysterious and magic as human's body. If you understand my word, the human body is an small universe. So maybe the advance life is real but just wait for the real proof. Anything now is vague.