Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starfleet needs to be at one end of a lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Solid objects that have to be handled are replicated. Like the paper they took off the HDeck to show Picard.

Why they don't just shoot blanks, though...
    That doesn't make sense. Unless the carried-objects are going to be removed from the holodeck, it shouldn't matter. Clothes are replicated though--most of the time.

Blank rounds aren't 100% safe. They still have explosives in them. Get the muzzle too close to flesh and you can blow fingers off, cause a fatal head injury, etc.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    That doesn't make sense. Unless the carried-objects are going to be removed from the holodeck, it shouldn't matter. Clothes are replicated though--most of the time.

Blank rounds aren't 100% safe. They still have explosives in them. Get the muzzle too close to flesh and you can blow fingers off, cause a fatal head injury, etc.
    Less dangerous than bullets.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Does anyone else think it is dangerous to have a hand gun that has settings ranging from stun the target for a few minutes to destroy a building? The only difference from a user perspective is the teeny weeny array of the lights, which may not even show up well in certain lighting conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Does anyone else think it is dangerous to have a hand gun that has settings ranging from stun the target for a few minutes to destroy a building? The only difference from a user perspective is the teeny weeny array of the lights, which may not even show up well in certain lighting conditions.
    Considering how often I drop my phone, the power source concerns me.

As far as the damage it does, I'd want pistols that only stuns and a big rifle for leveling buildings. More likely to sweep part of your own body with a pistol, might was well have a little safety there. Apparently no one Star Trek has seen the Andy Griffith Show. Don Knotts shooting himself in the foot is pretty funny except when you have a device that can knock down a building.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Reminds me of a Dave Barry piece where he mentions the usefulness of the laser, which can vaporize a bulldozer or perform delicate eye surgery, provided the user remembers to change the power setting from 'bulldozer' to 'eyeball'.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Considering how often I drop my phone, the power source concerns me.

As far as the damage it does, I'd want pistols that only stuns and a big rifle for leveling buildings. More likely to sweep part of your own body with a pistol, might was well have a little safety there. Apparently no one Star Trek has seen the Andy Griffith Show. Don Knotts shooting himself in the foot is pretty funny except when you have a device that can knock down a building.
    They used overloaded phasers as explosives in several episodes of TOS. And draining seven phasers is (almost) enough energy to launch a shuttlecraft from a class M planet.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    They used overloaded phasers as explosives in several episodes of TOS. And draining seven phasers is (almost) enough energy to launch a shuttlecraft from a class M planet.
    I am not sure if that is "getting the math right" or "we can't build more props".

You'd think that soldiers would say something a long the lines of: "Hey, I don't really need/want that capability." Multi-tools are great, until you need to do a good job. Then you want real tools. Shovels that have a feature to be used like an axe come to mind. Nice not having to carry two items, but after a certain point you want one axe and one shovel. Armies have trucks full of axes and shovels following the troops just for that reason.

Star Trek (or any TV show) doesn't really have the capacity to show a baggage train or oodles of props. Stargate Atlantis managed to do it, but then again, they just showed boxes and boxes of supplies being dumped off. Nice touch, but not terribly exciting. One episode, they showed hundreds of rail guns coming through the gate. But they only needed one prop to get the idea of hundreds of them in operation. Everything else was just boxes. They probably used the boxes for filming supplies instead of building more props.
    Solfe