Thread: how do CDROM games deal with bugs?

how do CDROM games deal with bugs?

I used to have a Play Station, and I wondered recently how they dealt with any bugs that went unnoticed in production.
    If there is some kind of error, does the program jump to a de-bugging program, or something, to try to sort it out?

My old BBC Micro used to have the code ONERROR GOTO (line x) I seem to remember..
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

It's kind of like the onerror goto, it uses a parity bit to detect errors and duplicated data to make corrections. It's called Cross Interleaved Reed Solomon Code or CIRC. Here is a link that explains how it works:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=119305&page=1

That ABC article discusses how to compensate for damage to the delivery medium. I assumed Mudskipper was wondering about how to compensate for design problems in the software being run from the CD (or DVD).

After a CD-based program has been loaded into a computer's RAM (which has to happen for it to be able to run), it's relatively straight-forward for a separately installed software patch to overwrite and replace the original buggy code with jumps to additional, corrected, software modules. That's how a lot of malware works, too. Operating systems have been implementing features which make that more and more difficult, of course, but it's not hard to get around them.
    Selden

You make me realize how long it has been since I wrote any
    computer programs. I only vaguely remember putting in a
    section for catching and handling various kinds of errors.
    I usually tested input carefully enough to prevent any input
    that would cause an error.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves