Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tatoos: is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Wait. Since I'm guessing that employees aren't spotting new tattoos and piercings in themselves, are they surveying each other and reporting any suspicious body decoration activity to you? Or are the employers doing this?
    What medical reason could justify this sort of surveillance in the workplace?

Grant Hutchison
    I'm going to have to second Dr. Grant's post. Where the heck do you work that you spy on your fellow employee's body modifications?
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    Do you think that is a little bit of an attribution error going on there?... How many external modifications have you personally done, be it temporary or permanent, specifically to show how edgy and dangerous you are?
    If this is a misattribution, it's a misattribution not about tattoos in general, but about the ones with skulls, Grim Reapers, blood-covered weapons, and such.

Since I'm guessing that employees aren't spotting new tattoos and piercings in themselves, are they surveying each other
    Employees would be spotting them on the plasma donors.

We collect blood plasma from which to make a handful of medicines for either burn victims or people whose own bodies don't make specific types of necessary proteins. We have a three-layered defense system against blood-carried infections, in the interests of redundancy.
    • The third is processes to eliminate the pathogens from the plasma if any slip through the first two layers.
    • The second is testing the plasma itself so that whole bottles can be destroyed if the tests are positive.
    • The first is not accepting donations from people who are already either known to have such infections or are even in high-risk groups for them. And people who have recently been tattooed or pierced are one such risk group, until a certain amount of time passes. This also has a corollary: any donors who are aware of the tattoo/piercing rules and try to trick us about their new tattoos/piercings are also in another kind of high-risk group (permanently) just for the deception itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Employees would be spotting them on the plasma donors.
    Ah-ha. It was the plasma donors who were missing from your original post.

Grant Hutchison

I have no objection to people who have them, although personally I think they are a bizarre form of group-think self-mutilation.

I do get a chuckle though from those who feel compelled to get a tattoo to show the world their individualism - so they basically get exactly the same tattoo as 17 of the other people in their social group.

I also used to play gigs with a guy who would always be on the lookout for a girl with a tattoo. His logic was that they had already demonstrated a propensity to make a rash decision on the spur of the moment...

I picture a scene of a young woman telling a friend about a new guy she just met.

"He's tall, has amazing eyes, and get this...he has no tattoos!"

"Oh my god, that's so hot!"

I'm reminded of the young woman who discovered her boyfriend had been cheating on her. Rather than confront him about it, she suggested they get matching tattoos, a first for both of them.

He went first.

She went home.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

You know what isn't as common nowadays as was in my youth? (Especially considering the propensity of our main foes to use IEDs.)

Those distinctive blue-grey dirt tattoos soldiers get from being too close to something that goes "boom", but not so close as to kill them.

I presume new treatment methods?
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

I like tatoos...they make great tatoo salad!

Has the pedant therapy finally cured grapes?
    Formerly Frog march..............

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I managed to escape the US Navy without a tattoo, but have recently been considering a small, perhaps 4 cm, image of a lizard on one of my forearms. I just haven't seen the right design yet.
    I don't have any tattoos either, but I have drawn several of them. What sort of lizard are you looking for?
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    You know what isn't as common nowadays as was in my youth? (Especially considering the propensity of our main foes to use IEDs.)

Those distinctive blue-grey dirt tattoos soldiers get from being too close to something that goes "boom", but not so close as to kill them.

I presume new treatment methods?
    Old treatment methods - a plastic surgeon wielding a scrubbing brush.
    Surgeons used to leave well alone if it wasn't life- or limb-threatening. Now they don't, unless they're in a mass casualty situation.

I've seen more blood loss from the plastic surgery than the orthopaedic surgery, in situations like that.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    I'm going to have to second Dr. Grant's post. Where the heck do you work that you spy on your fellow employee's body modifications?
    The US?

I used to work in Greenwich Village. It seemed when I was wandering around for lunch,that as a tattoo-free individual, I was in the minority.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    If this is a misattribution, it's a misattribution not about tattoos in general, but about the ones with skulls, Grim Reapers, blood-covered weapons, and such.
    My point remains. How many of them have told you that they got skulls, Grim Reapers, blood-covered weapons, and such to show how edgy and dangerous they are? The question was to help you direct your assertion inward because a lot of times, we don't recognize that we are attributing oversimplified reasons to others until we audit our own behaviors. Once people realize that their own decisions tend to follow a more complex pattern, we can give others the same benefit of the doubt. Perhaps they had been considering getting a tattoo for a while and then saw one on a wall or on someone else and decided they liked it. Seriously, tattoos stopped being a badge for the baddest of the bad guys about 30 years ago.

You do need to be a little careful, however. In my part of the world, at least, there are certain tattoos associated with violent criminality. In my day job, I used to get to chat to violent criminals from time to time. One of them was bemoaning the fact that "civilians" (his word) had picked up on some of the significant tattoos from his culture without understanding their significance, and that, with the proliferation of tattooists, these people now weren't being appropriately warned off from the tattoo they were requesting.
    It seems that if you go to the wrong part of town with a tattoo you can't justify, your whole evening could be ruined - and then your tattooist subsequently gets their day ruined.

Grant Hutchison

You do need to be a little careful, however. In my part of the world, at least, there are certain tattoos associated with violent criminality. In my day job, I used to get to chat to violent criminals from time to time. One of them was bemoaning the fact that "civilians" (his word) had picked up on some of the significant tattoos from his culture without understanding their significance, and that, with the proliferation of tattooists, these people now weren't being appropriately warned off from the tattoo they were requesting.
    It seems that if you go to the wrong part of town with a tattoo you can't justify, your whole evening could be ruined - and then your tattooist subsequently gets their day ruined.

Grant Hutchison
    When even gang members are calling cultural appropriation...

You do need to be a little careful, however. In my part of the world, at least, there are certain tattoos associated with violent criminality. ...
    Like the young woman who wanted to show how empathetic she was to a social cause, so she had a small tear drop tattooed under the corner of one eye.

Not the message she intended to convey.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I met a guy who had a rather cool tat. It was a graph running down his arm showing the earth temperature during the last few million years from the ice core record. He carries his heart under his sleeve I guess, a campaigner.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Doc Savage 1933 story, The Polar Treasure:

"... Their only clue is a map tattooed on the back of a blind violinist. ..."

I don't remember how that one played out!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thepolartreasure.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	22901
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	978054.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	22900