Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy 2018

Happy 2018

I hope everyone has a good 2018.
    May your children do well and surprise you.
    Hopefully we will find life somewhere else, maybe another comet like object will pass by with little grey man.
    Maybe there will be a radio signal that has a bad sitcom from another civilization.
    Will the Han Solo movie be the one everyone likes.
    I just hope in the couple of days I don't cheese anyone off and the house plumbing settles down,
    Remember all that have gone with happy moments between you and them,
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

One year from now we will be living in a brand new house. That'll be cool. I'm sure there'll be some bumps along the way, but I'm looking forward to them.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Bring It On 2018

Happy 2018 everyone!!

-- Dennis
    Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true. - Niels Bohr

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

Hint: this is at heart a scientific forum, and underneath the fooling around there are some diamond-hard minds hanging about, ready to tear you to shreads. -- Mike Alexander

Hi Treb , Congrats on your soon-to-be new house. Something nice after a life of hard work.

A safe and Happy New Year, Everyone.

Dan

May 2018 be filled with peace, joy, and achievement for us all.

I am going to ring in the new year by taking my horn out on the front porch and playing Siegfried's Call while the firecrackers are going off all around me. It is an iconic horn solo from Richard Wagner's operas Siegfried and Goetterdaemmerung.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I am going to ring in the new year by taking my horn out on the front porch and playing Siegfried's Call while the firecrackers are going off all around me. It is an iconic horn solo from Richard Wagner's operas Siegfried and Goetterdaemmerung.
    Great my piano is in the wrong country, but I will be there is spirit, I will choose the Mozart.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I timed it to the second, and the first sound I heard afterward was a siren in the distance. Only then did some firecrackers start going off.

Every New Years here there are always firecrackers and guns being fired off at midnite, not this year, all was quiet last nite, not one "pop" outside. I'm guessing TOO COLD!

starting good today with some scallops.

I've got a bunch of friends that a horrific year in 2017. I hope 2018 offers a better deal for them.

Up first thing for my traditional parade watch. With new hosts, as the people who hosted on the station I watch (streaming online now!) have retired. They started doing the Rose Parade in 1978.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I woke up to this NBC photo journal of people celebrating around the world. That makes me feel good.
    Solfe

After watching the ball drop, hugging my parents, and playing a recording of Auld Lang Syne on my phone, I went into the kitchen and looked through the glass door to see that all of the clouds from earlier had dissipated and almost directly overhead were a clear, beautiful Orion, Sirius, and almost-full moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Up first thing for my traditional parade watch. With new hosts, as the people who hosted on the station I watch (streaming online now!) have retired. They started doing the Rose Parade in 1978.
    We're watching on HGTV with the Property Brothers. They're FAR less annoying than the usual network hosts, and there's somewhat less promotion of new shows on the network as well.

So we're really going to have another year? I hoped everyone was bluffing.

Sorry Chuck, the SMOD missed us this go around. Maybe next time.

Good Lord, I distinctly remember being in fifth grade, Mr. Meek's class, and thinking what an unbelievable amount of time it was going to be until the year 2000. I was going to be 40! That was older than either of my parents at the time!

And now this century is a rosy cheeked 18 years old.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    So we're really going to have another year? I hoped everyone was bluffing.
    Would you rather stay in 2017?

We should have to redo each year until we get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    We should have to redo each year until we get it right.
    I think decades of Christmas specials have taught us how un-fun reliving the same period of time over and over again until you get it perfect can be.

Happy New Year, everyone. As Colonel Potter said, "May it be a darn sight better than the last one."

I was watching the Rose Parade when a group of riders came along. The announcer noted the horses were mustangs, wild horses. "They haven't changed in over a million years."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Happy New Year, everyone. As Colonel Potter said, "May it be a darn sight better than the last one."

I was watching the Rose Parade when a group of riders came along. The announcer noted the horses were mustangs, wild horses. "They haven't changed in over a million years."
    There is huge difference in a 66 mustang and a modern one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

Clearly he needs to visit the American Museum of Natural History!

Happy New Year to everyone. We babysat our 4 year old grand-daughter & 20 month old grandson for the night and they decided it was good idea to welcome the new year in by getting my wife out of bed at 0400. I managed to sleep in until 0600.

All right, New Year's Day is over. It's time to abandon hope and get on with our lives.

I hope it is a better year than last year.

Ok, celebration's over. Back to work, everyone!

starting good today with some scallops.
    Us too Astrotimer, love scallops. We have shopped at all the local grocers, seafood markets, and food clubs and haven't been really satisfied with the quality until recently. Our #1 scallop provider is now Wegmans, they opened up 2 mega grocery stores here last summer (mostly a NE US company, but spreading out). Every scallop I've ever eaten (even at restaurants) has had at least a slight hint of ammonia aroma when cut open, not Wegmans. Also, most scallops shrink when cooked (we saute ours) to about 1/2 the original size. again, not Wegmans scallops which remain plump and tender. Hope you have a Wegmans store near you to give them a shot.

The las time I had scallops bought them from the scallop fisherman's daughter friend (the last two worked at the call center I did), the ones yesterday came from grocery store both tasted great but I live right of the Bat of Fundy so they are pretty fresh around here.