Thread: Aw, Snap!

Aw, Snap!

I've been getting a lot of Chrome "Aw, Snap!" messages from the forum lately. Not from anywhere else. Is it just me? Reloads reliably fix it; it's a very minor annoyance.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I've been getting a lot of Chrome "Aw, Snap!" messages from the forum lately. Not from anywhere else. Is it just me? Reloads reliably fix it; it's a very minor annoyance.
    Same here. It is an outrageously cutesy phrase for some run of the mill glitch. It makes me want to wash some geek's mouth out with the soap I made in high school chemistry lab.

I'm more concerned with what the forum glitch is that's generating it. I've looked at two threads so far this morning, counting this one. It's happened on both.

Never see it. Is your Chrome up-to-date? Which OS? Any plug-ins to rule out? I only use Adblock Plus, and a few that are to do with Google drive, I think.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Using chrome on my tablet, and I have not seen this.
    All comments made in red are moderator comments. Please, read the rules of the forum here and read the additional rules for ATM, and for conspiracy theories. If you think a post is inappropriate, don't comment on it in thread but report it using the /!\ button in the lower left corner of each message. But most of all, have fun!

Catch me on twitter: @tusenfem
    Catch Rosetta Plasma Consortium on twitter: @Rosetta_RPC

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Never see it. Is your Chrome up-to-date? Which OS? Any plug-ins to rule out? I only use Adblock Plus, and a few that are to do with Google drive, I think.
    Probably seeing it only on the Win7 machine, now that I think about it. Not sure. No idea if Chrome is up to date so it probably isn't.

Probably seeing it only on the Win7 machine, now that I think about it. Not sure. No idea if Chrome is up to date so it probably isn't.
    Win7 here too. My version, just updated, is 63.0.3239.108 (64-bits). Chrome menu -> Help -> About Google Chrome.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Same here.

ETA: I wonder if it's just my crummy ISP?

Same here.

ETA: I wonder if it's just my crummy ISP?
    It might be. Or a dodgy plug-in. I've got the luxury to choose between my own cable connection, or two different 4G providers (thanks to work) to fall back on. Truth be said, it is very very rare that I can't just access the forum from home without errors. If that happens, often it works through 4G, so probably some kind of cable maintenance or error hitting me. But if it's your ISP, you should have problems on other sites too, I suppose.

I haven't actually installed any plugins, not even the ad-blocker that the Washington Post "helpfully" keeps offering to disable for me. And I've only seen it on this forum.

Googling the problem leads to suggestions that I clear my cache. I'd do that if it wasn't for the annoyance of having to log back in here.

I haven't actually installed any plugins, not even the ad-blocker that the Washington Post "helpfully" keeps offering to disable for me. And I've only seen it on this forum.

Googling the problem leads to suggestions that I clear my cache. I'd do that if it wasn't for the annoyance of having to log back in here.
    You can clear the cache, without clearing the cookies which contain your login info. The dialog box gives options about what to purge.

I get this message when our network (at work) is seriously lagging or at home just when DSL goes out of sync or drops.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Ok, just cleared the cache. Came to this thread. Got the message first thing. Aw, snap.

Still getting it, just on the one computer.

Still getting it, just on the one computer.
    It looks more and more to be something your end. If other computers on the same connection don't have the problem but the Win7 one does, it might be that computer. If the problems only occur on this forum, and not other sites, maybe it's something weird javascript related (this forum does a lot of handling posts etc. before actually uploading to the forum, and also after uploading to the forum). Maybe it's some ad-related code trying to fetch an ad that no longer exists or is blocked elsewhere. You could try installing the ABP (AdBlock Plus) plugin. If other websites complain about it you can disable it for that website in 2 mouseclicks.

I also have the same problem.

I haven't actually seen it recently. We did wind up getting a new cable modem.