Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which moon is this?

Which moon is this?

Can anyone say which moon/mission this image is from?

Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Looks like deer!

I am probably not right, but it looks a lot like Sputnik Planum, Pluto.
    Solfe

Triton? Looks cantaloupe terrainish.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

From the location of this thread, I'm guessing it's not an astronomical photograph at all.
    To me, it looks like what we'd call a "harled" exterior wall in Scotland. No idea what it might be called in the rest of the world - you apply a lime render to the stonework, and then a layer of plaster mixed with small stones, and then paint.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Looks like a close up of stucco on the outside walls of my previous house.

An extreme closeup of someone mooning?

Using a bit of guesswork on size, I think the moon in the image is about 1,500 km in diameter. Best guess on what moon would have that resolution of image, Iapetus from Cassini. Your search date range would be around September of 2007.
    Solfe

Google's best guess for this image: "Wall". So I'm with Grant and Spacedude, especially considering the poster's predilictions for DIY.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

As soon as I saw grapes' reply, I thought he should have
    hidden it, but now it looks like he didn't need to after all.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis, in January ...
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

I might have been rolled.
    Solfe

Oh good lord peeps, those are deer tracks!
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

I believe Don is correct. Tracks in the snow at any rate.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I believe Don is correct. Tracks in the snow at any rate.
    Ah, looking down from high above rather than horizontally from close in.
    Fair enough - I could convince myself of cloven hoof prints once I zoomed in a bit. Never seen red deer tracks as chaotic as that in Scotland, though. What on earth are they supposed to have been doing?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Dr. G,

I think this site has been through a couple of small scale freeze and thaw cycles.

The sort of thing that turns bear tracks into yeti prints.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Dr. G,

I think this site has been through a couple of small scale freeze and thaw cycles.

The sort of thing that turns bear tracks into yeti prints.
    Yeah, but what's with the randomness? I can only talk from experience of red deer in Scotland, and they're neat little walkers. If a herd of red deer had passed through, linear tracks of individual animals would be clearly visible, and a general trend would be apparent. If those are deer tracks, they seem to have been randomly leaping around on one leg for a lot of the time.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Large herd gathered around a small place, like a feeder or water trough.

Part of my evening bed time ritual is checking up on these guys. A deer feeder cam in Iowa.

https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/...crush-deer-cam

Night falls in Iowa two hours before it goes in California.

I figured that the placement of this thread would tip folks off that I was up to something, especially those who know me pretty well. A couple of guesses were headed in the right direction. The image is a moderate crop of a photo from a Facebook woodworking group, a lovely piece of quilted birdseye maple:

The surface has been planed smooth but the illusion of texture is pretty striking. I zoomed in to get a better look at the figure and it occurred to me that it kind of resembled orbital imagery one might see from a NASA mission. I was curious to see what it would look like to others.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Oooh, that's nice. Yes, a really strong sense of an embossed texture, which was what pushed me towards some sort of randomly lumpy surface with a gloss finish.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Is that bird's eye maple?!?

The first time I enlarged the image, I wondered similar to but sort of
    opposite what puzzled Grant: I wondered why none of the hoofprints
    overlapped or touched. They are random, but spaced apart. With
    that many prints, some of them should have been clustered together
    if the deer weren't carefully avoiding messing up their tracks. I also
    wondered how the surface of the snow got so lumpy, and that color,
    which I guessed might have been from orangy light of a low Sun.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    Last edited by Jeff Root; 2018-Jan-06 at 07:22 PM.
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Is that bird's eye maple?!?
    It is...but I haven’t seen a piece that nice at my local shop yet.

I'm glad Alaska actually isn't full of one-legged hopping deer.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

My second guess was going to be deer footprints on Enceladus .

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    My second guess was going to be deer footprints on Enceladus .
    Something like Asimov's "Christmas on Ganymede", then.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Hmm... got rolled so hard I have rug burn.
    Solfe

Sorry, Solfe! It wasn’t my intention to roll someone just for the sake of doing so. I’d have let the guessing and related discussion go on for far longer if I had. I was just curious how other’s would interpret the image. In hindsight, though, I probably should’ve just asked something like “what is this?” rather than try to preload my own impression.

I still swear it looks like the north eastern version of Iapetus, with some sort of low contrast filter.
    Solfe

Perhaps that’s the imagery that seeded my impression of the photo. I’ll have to give it another look some time.