Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which moon is this?

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    It is...but I haven’t seen a piece that nice at my local shop yet.
    Do you know how you get bird's eye maple?

The maple tree has to grow in a shaded environment and be over 400 years old!

They don't make those anymore after the old growth maple forests on the East coast were all cut down and nowadays are usually relic logs from mill ponds and such.

A rickety wooden chair made of bird's-eye maple insures for $18,000!
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Do you know how you get bird's eye maple?

The maple tree has to grow in a shaded environment and be over 400 years old!
    Many competing theories are easy to find online but as far as I know, none have been confirmed with much in the way of actual science. I think it's commonly thought that it's caused by poor/challenging growing conditions in which the tree attempts to form sprouts to get more sunlight but they don't actually sprout for some reason. I've read that they do this while still young so I'm puzzled by the 400-year-old figure. Do you have a source for that?

They don't make those anymore after the old growth maple forests on the East coast were all cut down and nowadays are usually relic logs from mill ponds and such.
    I've seen it claimed that Michigan's Upper Peninsula supplies 90% of the world's birdseye maple market and in fact, one of the more popular online hardwood suppliers is based in that area.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

A rickety wooden chair made of bird's-eye maple insures for $18,000!
    My cousin has an entire 100-year-old bedroom set. Hope I'm in the will.....
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Are you saying I was misinformed?

Well, that's why I come here, to find out these things.

Said rickety chair WAS crafted in the 1780's, with providence, so the material may or may not have had a bearing on the price.

Are you saying I was misinformed?
    Or that you've heard something I didn't. I make no claim of being an expert in all things wood. It just didn't jibe with my experience and that roused my curiosity.

Said rickety chair WAS crafted in the 1780's, with providence, so the material may or may not have had a bearing on the price.
    That's my uninformed guess. Now, it could be in that period, the maker was working with old growth maple that was thought to be 400+ years old...and that would be quite the thing in and of itself. It's kind of exciting to think about some eccentric old chair maker who used only really old bog wood. But at that price, I'm wagging that it also had something to do with the renown of the maker, the rarity of surviving pieces, etc.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Mr. Creek, my information comes from when said chair came up missing on a moving job I was part of. So it wasn't a class or anything I took.

Sort of a sad moment in my furniture moving career.

I don't think it was anyone in my group though. We were working for a line driver we had never met before. And it was reported missing several days after the load was delivered, which we just did the loading.

We got grilled by cops, insurance adjusters and P.I's.