Thread: Need Ideas for making an app

Exclamation Need Ideas for making an app

Hi everyone,

I am going to start my personal project, and I have chosen to make an app, but I do not have any good ideas for what the app is going to be, or what it is going to be about.

Therefore I seek help here, in desperate need of ideas. The app will be made for iPhone, and if possible for iPad as well.

Do you have any ideas? Please comment under. I will reply to every idea.

It can be an idea for a game, for a weather app etc. It can be everything! It would help me a lot!

Thank you very much!

Clearly you have shown the market for an app that comes up with ideas for apps.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

I would like an app that allows me to record my parking level with one tap. (No, I am not going to take a picture. Then I'd have to delete them.)

My parking lot at the office is first come first served, so I end up parking on a different level (and on a different side) every day, and can never remember which.

My ideal app would allow me to configure it to just the number of levels in my garage, with an option for "side" (i.e. east v. West).

So, I would set it up to only show

P1W P1E
    P2W P2E
    P3W P3E

I could select it with a single tap, and it would clear itself at midnight (so it doesn't accidentally carry over).

There are apps out there, but they try to do far too many things, and therefore the simple one-tap convenience of it is lost.

(I was actually considering making a keychain fob to do this, and practicing my 3D design and printing skillz in the process)
    Last edited by DaveC426913; 2018-Jan-16 at 01:11 AM.

I did have the idea for a hitch hiker app, whereby a person hitching could link with a person driving on the same website/system to check whether both people might be safe passenger and driver. This could be done using a photo profile, maybe numberplate, and reviews...some people would take a life with nearly anyone, so maybe they could be the first people to give a review(if they survive )....hitching is an environmental way to travel, and good for people on a low budget.

The app would have to enable phones to connect, or maybe just a QRC on the screens, so that both people can see the other's profile...maybe they wouldn't bother checking, if they both felt ok, but they could both give reviews anyway.

If there isn't something like this already, this is the sort of thing that would have to grow slowly, with more and more people taking part. There may even be car stickers in the end with QRC on, and a hitch hiking QRC sign on it....

Of course there may be vindictive false reviews, but that is the problem with reviews.
    Formerly Frog march..............

this app may exist....bit more easy, I hope:

an app where you can hum a tune, and the app will give you the approximate notes eg a(shap) e(flat), g(natural) etc, and then they can go on the internet at type out those notes, and ask people what song it is they are trying to remember....maybe the app could turn the notes back into music, after someone reads these notes on social media, and try to see if they recognises it.....they timing of the notes is critical though, or else even familiar music is hard to recognise, so you may need pause characters eg 'p' for a short pause, and 'pp' for a double short pause etc...

how about an app for people with numeral dyslexia...say someone wants to know how much a can of beans is, and the label says 42pence.....I assume they can't be sure how much that is, so you could have a bar that represented a pound/dollar and the bar would fill in 42% with solid red or something....the same with a bar for 10 pounds/dollars, and 100pounds/dollars.....I don't know if that would help them at all...they could at least compare prices of beans.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    this app may exist....bit more easy, I hope:

an app where you can hum a tune, and the app will give you the approximate notes eg a(shap) e(flat), g(natural) etc, and then they can go on the internet at type out those notes, and ask people what song it is they are trying to remember....maybe the app could turn the notes back into music, after someone reads these notes on social media, and try to see if they recognises it.....they timing of the notes is critical though, or else even familiar music is hard to recognise, so you may need pause characters eg 'p' for a short pause, and 'pp' for a double short pause etc...
    You really need a way to tell it that a note is an eighth note or fourth note or whatever. Fortunately, such apps exist. Here is news about one:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/reuvenc.../#640c67d53cbe
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    You really need a way to tell it that a note is an eighth note or fourth note or whatever. Fortunately, such apps exist. Here is news about one:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/reuvenc.../#640c67d53cbe
    yes; it would be good if his app could produce something that could just be typed, as well as a score.

I need an app that makes me do what I want to do. Or, if there is a
    difference between what I want to do and what I need to do, makes
    me do what I need to do.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    me do what I need to do.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    There are such apps as long as what you do is computer-related.
    There are apps that lock out distractions (such as web surfing).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    me do what I need to do.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

You want to turn your mother into an app? And you never call and don't write and what is this "tweet?"

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

CQ has no LIKE feature. Why does CQ have no LIKE feature?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    I would like an app that allows me to record my parking level with one tap. (No, I am not going to take a picture. Then I'd have to delete them.)
    Nice. How about a generic photo app that you can just point it at a scene, and it allows your phone camera to operate, and you can use the app to review the most recent "notes" pics and, based on a setting, delete photos as they hit their expiration time.

So you can change the expiration time for each pic, or use the default, and it'll clean up your mess. And give you time to check a pic before it's deleted.

Take a pic (or two) of your car position, refer to it later to find it, and the pic is gone by morning, when the cycle starts again.

I might use an app like this for trips to the hardware store (there'd also be a "keep indefinitely" option).
    My parking lot at the office is first come first served, so I end up parking on a different level (and on a different side) every day, and can never remember which.

My ideal app would allow me to configure it to just the number of levels in my garage, with an option for "side" (i.e. east v. West).

So, I would set it up to only show

P1W P1E
    P2W P2E
    P3W P3E

I could select it with a single tap, and it would clear itself at midnight (so it doesn't accidentally carry over).

There are apps out there, but they try to do far too many things, and therefore the simple one-tap convenience of it is lost.

(I was actually considering making a keychain fob to do this, and practicing my 3D design and printing skillz in the process)