Thread: light orbiting the photon sphere

light orbiting the photon sphere

Does anything happen to light as it travels in the photon sphere. Are any properties changed?
    The moment an instant lasted forever, we were destined for the leading edge of eternity.

if it were possible for light to orbit there, I would guess it would have be emitted at the photon sphere, eg by a hot piece of metal falling through it...
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudskipper View Post
    if it were possible for light to orbit there, I would guess it would have be emitted at the photon sphere, eg by a hot piece of metal falling through it...

Please only give an answer in Q&A if you actually know the answer, this is NOT the place for speculations.
    You should know better, infraction.
    All comments made in red are moderator comments. Please, read the rules of the forum here and read the additional rules for ATM, and for conspiracy theories. If you think a post is inappropriate, don't comment on it in thread but report it using the /!\ button in the lower left corner of each message. But most of all, have fun!

Catch me on twitter: @tusenfem
    Catch Rosetta Plasma Consortium on twitter: @Rosetta_RPC

Mudskipper's answer is exactly correct. It almost certainly is not
    actually possible for light to make a full orbit in the photon sphere
    because the slightest deflection upward or downward would cause
    it to leave the sphere. If it *were* possible, being emitted in the
    photon sphere by matter falling through the sphere is the only
    reasonably plausible way it could be injected into the sphere.
    A Rube Goldberg arrangement of gravitational perturbations can
    be imagined in which light might be emitted outside the photon
    sphere and then maneuvered into the sphere, but is so unlikely
    that one would reasonably guess that it never actually happens.
    Of course, there is no way for anyone to know for sure.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Theoretically, if a photon could travel through the photonsphere, would it always remain the same, or would it change?
    The moment an instant lasted forever, we were destined for the leading edge of eternity.

No reason it would change in the photon sphere any more than it would change if it spent the same amount of time in intergalactic space.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    No reason it would change in the photon sphere any more than it would change if it spent the same amount of time in intergalactic space.

Grant Hutchison
    Thanks Grant!