Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kessel Run

Kessel Run

Well, if what I read is true, in May when the new Star Wars story about a young Han Solo comes out. We'll get to see Han make the Kesel run in 12 Parsecs. Maybe we'll get to find out if Han really knew what he was talking about.
    Last edited by slang; 2018-Jan-27 at 04:41 PM. Reason: fixed title

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Well, if what I read is true, in May when the new Star Wars story about a young Han Solo comes out. We'll get to see Han make the Kesel run in 12 Parsecs. Maybe we'll get to find out if Han really knew what he was talking about.
    Since Han often fixes problems with technology with a blaster, it would be no surprise that he has no idea what he is talking about. It sounds like great boast, but no one really reacts to it in a way that requires the statement to make any sense. It would be rather amusing if somehow he thought it made sense, but it really means nothing at all. It seems that a lot of people know what the Kessel Run is, but he could be saying the equivalent of "I did the Indianapolis 500 in one lap!"

How would you react? "Oh? Sure, that's really fast... (he's the only guy we can afford?)"
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Since Han often fixes problems with technology with a blaster, it would be no surprise that he has no idea what he is talking about. It sounds like great boast, but no one really reacts to it in a way that requires the statement to make any sense. It would be rather amusing if somehow he thought it made sense, but it really means nothing at all. It seems that a lot of people know what the Kessel Run is, but he could be saying the equivalent of "I did the Indianapolis 500 in one lap!"

How would you react? "Oh? Sure, that's really fast... (he's the only guy we can afford?)"
    Sorry, I'm not all that knowledgeable about Star Wars (though I watched the movies and remember that line), but a parsec is a measure of distance. . . I wonder if it's just a mistake?
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Sorry, I'm not all that knowledgeable about Star Wars (though I watched the movies and remember that line), but a parsec is a measure of distance. . . I wonder if it's just a mistake?
    In the Dolyist sense, it's absolutely a mistake, the various scientific commentaries about the line over the last four decades have proposed various Watsonian explanations-- one of which is that it's also an in-universe mistake (or attempt to dazzle people he thinks are ignorant hicks with technobabble they won't understand) on Han's part.

You'd think after 40 years, they'd fix it. But in SW:TFA, Rey refers to the Kessel Run, when she first meets Han.
    Rey: You made the Kessel run in 14 parsecs.
    Han: Twelve parsecs, 14 hmph.
    But, this is the galaxy that gave us Jar-Jar, so who knows.

Knowing that Star Wars was intended to be a 1930's Saturday
    afternoon kids' movie serial made with modern technology, in
    the image of Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon, my opinion is that
    it was intended to be a mistake made by the 1930's screenwriter.

But who is to say that a "parsec" was not a unit of time in that
    far-off galaxy so very long ago? It certainly had nothing to do
    with Earth's orbit around the Sun. Units of time that can deal
    with faster-than-light travel over large distances would not be
    simple.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    Knowing that Star Wars was intended to be a 1930's Saturday
    afternoon kids' movie serial made with modern technology, in
    the image of Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon, my opinion is that
    it was intended to be a mistake made by the 1930's screenwriter.

But who is to say that a "parsec" was not a unit of time in that
    far-off galaxy so very long ago? It certainly had nothing to do
    with Earth's orbit around the Sun. Units of time that can deal
    with faster-than-light travel over large distances would not be
    simple.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    Or just a cool sounding word George Lucas remembered from science class.

If he didn't know what it meant, he would have asked someone.
    I suspect that he knew what it meant.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Actually, come to think of it, there isnít a very cool sounding word, saying ďI did it in twelve minutesĒ sounds pretty dull, so maybe he chose the word to sound cool even if it was wrong. After all, he could claim that the meaning changed, as Jeff suggested.

I guess itís actually stranger that they speak late 20th century English with American and British accents!
    As above, so below

Hans just knew a cool shortcut through hyperspace....which he bought off a dwarf from Time Bandits.
    Formerly Frog march..............

With the over obsessiveness of todays fans, where everything has to be explained and made to fit, I have no doubt that some kind of 'technobabble' unnececary way will be found to get Solo to manage to do it in whatever way fits his boast.
    Myself, I always put it down to boasting in a bar to convince the Country Boys he was the best.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    Hans just knew a cool shortcut through hyperspace....which he bought off a dwarf from Time Bandits.
    I thought of something like that. Maybe you can't go on a straight line to Kessel. You've got run through a maze of hyperspace thinga ma jigs and Han found a short cut that was only 12 parsecs.

It could have been a way for Solo to assess how space-savvy his potential clients were. If they were impressed with his boast, then he knew that they had no clue about space travel. Thus he could charge a premium for the Falcon's services.

The withering look that Ben Kenobi gave him told Solo that no such premium would be coming.

he could be saying the equivalent of "I did the Indianapolis 500 in one lap!"
    Or, "My car is so fast, I can run the Indy 500 in only 400 miles."

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    I thought of something like that. Maybe you can't go on a straight line to Kessel. You've got run through a maze of hyperspace thinga ma jigs and Han found a short cut that was only 12 parsecs.
    That's the retcon Lucas offered. Hyperspace routes need to weave around some kind of obstacles, and Han found a risky but more direct route that only the combination of his ship and piloting skills could pull off.

It was common enough for people to misinterpret lightyears as a measure of time, not distance, and I think Lucas just latched on to the "sec" in parsec and figured it was a shorter period of time than a lightyear.

Grant Hutchison

That retcon still makes no sense, though, since the boast was how fast the ship is, not how maneuverable or how quickly it can calculate routes.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

If the obstacles were radioactive, then a fast ship would be able to skirt them and stay below some agreed-upon standard of excessive dosage. Slower ships would be forced to take a longer route.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That's the retcon Lucas offered. Hyperspace routes need to weave around some kind of obstacles, and Han found a risky but more direct route that only the combination of his ship and piloting skills could pull off.

It was common enough for people to misinterpret lightyears as a measure of time, not distance, and I think Lucas just latched on to the "sec" in parsec and figured it was a shorter period of time than a lightyear.
    That was always my understanding; it was a mistake and then they tried to technobabble it away.

I find it funny when people get riled up about scientific mistakes in Star Wars, since SW always seemed the least scientific (most fantasy) of the major science fiction franchises anyway.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

One nit pick its Kessel not Kesel.(I know it is me correcting spelling.)
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    That retcon still makes no sense, though, since the boast was how fast the ship is, not how maneuverable or how quickly it can calculate routes.
    I presume the idea was: If you want someone to get you somewhere fast, Solo is your man.
    It would make a sort of sense in a world in which hyperspace travel has a fixed speed. That's a common enough science fiction convention, but I have no idea if it applies to the Star Wars universe. "How fast?" would then be parsed as "How soon can you get me to my destination?"
    But, as you say, although we do talk like that about journeys, we generally say the journey is "fast" (because more direct or with fewer delays) rather than the vehicle itself. I've no interest in defending the retcon, though - I merely offer it as something Lucas once said.

Grant Hutchison

"They'll be talking about this one for light years!"

I've always liked the idea that it's wrong in universe, and Obi-Wan's look of amused annoyance is in that moment his awareness of it and not Sir Alec Guinness being tired of the movie.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I guess it’s actually stranger that they speak late 20th century English with American and British accents!
    Just like all those British-accented Ancient Romans!

I presume the idea was: If you want someone to get you somewhere fast, Solo is your man.
    Nope. It was specifically about the ship:

Kenobi: ...if it's a fast ship.
    Solo: "Fast ship"? You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?
    Kenobi: (Shakes head) Should I have?
    Solo: It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs. She's fast enough for you, old man.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Nope. It was specifically about the ship:

Kenobi: ...if it's a fast ship.
    Solo: "Fast ship"? You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?
    Kenobi: (Shakes head) Should I have?
    Solo: It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs. She's fast enough for you, old man.
    Gad, I hate that "Nope" thing.
    I was talking about the idea behind Lucas's retcon, not the movie itself. I thought that was clear from the bit of my post you didn't quote:
    It would make a sort of sense in a world in which hyperspace travel has a fixed speed. That's a common enough science fiction convention, but I have no idea if it applies to the Star Wars universe. "How fast?" would then be parsed as "How soon can you get me to my destination?"
    But, as you say, although we do talk like that about journeys, we generally say the journey is "fast" (because more direct or with fewer delays) rather than the vehicle itself. I've no interest in defending the retcon, though - I merely offer it as something Lucas once said.
    Grant Hutchison

Gad, I hate that "Nope" thing.
    Sorry.

I was talking about the idea behind Lucas's retcon, not the movie itself.
    I was just pointing out why it doesn't work as a retcon. For all I know, it may have been what Lucas was thinking, but the thinking itself is flawed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Come to think of it, isn't the (our) parsec derived in part on 1 AU (Earth's distance from the Sun)? That means little in a galaxy far far away, so perhaps it's a completely different word?

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

Come to think of it, isn't the (our) parsec derived in part on 1 AU (Earth's distance from the Sun)?

CJSF
    Originally, but it's been since redefined as about 3.26 light years, perhaps to shed it of it's Earth-centric origin.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Originally, but it's been since redefined as about 3.26 light years, perhaps to shed it of it's Earth-centric origin.
    Wikipedia says it was redefined to to exactly 648000/pi astronomical units, which is approximately 3.26ly.

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

Come to think of it, isn't the (our) parsec derived in part on 1 AU
    (Earth's distance from the Sun)? That means little in a galaxy far
    far away, so perhaps it's a completely different word?
    That's what I said in post #6.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    That's what I said in post #6.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    LOL. Reading! It's not just for everyone else!

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org