Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kessel Run

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    One nit pick its Kessel not Kesel.(I know it is me correcting spelling.)
    I speled it n 5 leters

I was going by the books and video games, sorry I guess I will bow to your greater knowledge.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

In Star Wars ships travel by making jumps through hyperspace. The longer the jump a ship can make through hyperspace, without needing to return to normal space and let the drive cool down/refuel/rest/whatever, the faster it will effectively be. The Kessel run is, presumably, a winding course through real space that is much too long to just jump across in one hyperspace jump. Ships that can only make short hops have to stick to the course more or less as it is in real space, let's say 20 parsecs for the sake of argument. Ships that can make longer hops can cut corners, or even jump between whole sections of the run - they can make the run in less than 20parcecs. The Falcon made it in 12. Han is saying the Falcon can make hugely long jumps, and is therefore very fast.

Or Georhe Lucasdidn't bother to learn some very simple things about space before writing his space epic.

Personally, I think they have been leading up to the idea that only the distance in normal space counts.

Jump, drift and calculate, jump reduces the problem to how far you glide through normal space. Star Wars has very specific plot lines which involve doing jumps very accurately to avoid hazards or problems. Han, Lando and the Rebels like to land right on top of things, or escape by a surprise jump. The Empire has mucked up their plans by not jumping close enough for Hoth and the Rebel base. Han even subverts the whole idea by drifting away from the enemy ships with the garbage.

I think the biggest challenge for "fixing parsecs" is timing. As I understand it, the novels (which aren't canon anymore) places the Kessel Run just before Star Wars. The actors in this movie are too young to match that schedule. I bet they just don't talk about it in Solo. More than one book hints that Han is doing the Kessel Run in that novel, without declaring it what it is. There are two different Han Solo trilogies and they did pretty well without specifically addressing it. If they didn't do it then, why do it in a movie?

Personally, I am more interested in seeing how he met Lando and Chewie. The Chewbacca story might more important than Lando, but I would still like to see a whole movie about Lando. They'd be able to do more stuff like Rogue One, but skip to the tie in scene. There is a book where Han gives up Jabba's contraband in order to protect some refugees. I'd like to see at least that scene in film.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Or he could have made the run in less than 12 centons - which were interchangeably a time unit and a distance measurement, and even occasionally of wildly varying magnitude.

I love that show. I have a book of short science fiction stories with a clear knock off version of Starbuck as a child on the cover with Vipers and Cylon ships in the background. The amusing bit is, the artwork matches an excerpt from Star Wars. There is no Galactica story in it.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2018-Jan-26 at 11:37 PM. Reason: excerpt vs. except
    Solfe

Maybe a Kessel is a unit of speed, and reaching it while travelling a shorter distance means higher acceleration.

Kessel is an asteroid that contained something called spice which was a drug. The Empire was the power that held it and use at a force labor prison to mine the spice and sell it to help finance some of its projects. Han was hired to smuggle some of the spice out of Kessel. Kessel was near a group of black holes called the Maw plus there was imperial patrols. So shortening the distance helped him get away until onetime he got caught and had to dump the load which Jabba hired him for so that is why Han had a bounty on him.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    I speled it n 5 leters
    Now that's funy.