Thread: Future particle accelerators

Future particle accelerators

I am reading Einstein's Bridge. Cramer has a character say that future particle accelerators would likely be linear,
    because of new technologies. Is this true? Are there any proposals for such accelerators?

3. 2018-Jan-24, 10:03 PM

Looking back at the place in the novel, the new technologies were plasma waves and laser accelerators. But I also came up with the Future Circular Collider in my research https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Circular_Collider
    Did the two technologies fizzle out in the two decades since the book was written? Are we still going to be building rings instead of rods?

Plasma or laser or "wakefield" acceleration is being actively researched. AWAKE is a current "proof of concept" experiment being run at CERN.
    Linear and circular accelerators have their own pros and cons. We build the appropriate accelerator for the proposed purpose. For example circular accelerators are better for accelerating heavier particles such as hadrons - thus the LHC. Linear accelerators are better for electrons and positrons.

What if I want to smash an electron into a hadron?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    Like HERA? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HERA_(...e_accelerator)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    You can use a linear accelerator to accelerate electrons and smash them into a target. If you wanted as high energy collisions as possible, add a circular accelerator with hadrons and collide the beams of electron and hadrons. Or as in HERA - compromise with a circular accelerator for electrons and hadrons.