Thread: Goofy question about light speed

Goofy question about light speed

Forgive the silly question, but I've been trying to puzzle it out. I recently watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind again, an old favorite. In one scene researchers who have been receiving and monitoring the five-note signal are discussing where it could be coming from. One says it is close, "less than seven seconds light travel time." Maybe not verbatim, but pretty close.

So my question: That would mean the signal is coming from somewhere around 1.3 million miles away. How would it be possible to know how long the signal had been traveling? I could stand by a freeway and watch a car go by at 60 mph, but I have no way of knowing if it had been traveling for the last ten minutes, an hour or ten hours.

Am I missing something obvious or did the screenwriters just take some creative liberties?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FramerDave View Post
    Forgive the silly question, but I've been trying to puzzle it out. I recently watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind again, an old favorite. In one scene researchers who have been receiving and monitoring the five-note signal are discussing where it could be coming from. One says it is close, "less than seven seconds light travel time." Maybe not verbatim, but pretty close.

So my question: That would mean the signal is coming from somewhere around 1.3 million miles away. How would it be possible to know how long the signal had been traveling? I could stand by a freeway and watch a car go by at 60 mph, but I have no way of knowing if it had been traveling for the last ten minutes, an hour or ten hours.

Am I missing something obvious or did the screenwriters just take some creative liberties?
    I don't remember the scenes from the movie anymore (I saw it in the theater when it first came out). But if your description is correct, I would say they are taking some liberties. First of all, I don't know how you broadcast musical notes with electromagnetic waves, and then second, as you say, if it's photons I don't know why you would know how far away it is. Seven light seconds is somewhat further than the sun, so it can't be broadcast in actual sound, i.e. air pressure waves.
    As above, so below

maybe the triangulated the source from several receivers....
    Formerly Frog march..............

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    First of all, I don't know how you broadcast musical notes with electromagnetic waves
    Radio?

I can't remember much about the film (it is in my bottom 3 movies of all time) but could they have been measuring the time to get a reply (which would have been about 14s)?

I thought the sun was about 8 light minutes from Earth.

As for sending notes via EM waves, to quote Everclear, ďAM radio, AM radio...Ē

(Iíll just wander over to the ďSong stuck in my head thread. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2018-Jan-30 at 01:26 PM.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    I can't remember much about the film (it is in my bottom 3 movies of all time
    I didnít much like the movie when I originally saw it in the theater, but stumbled across it on cable TV recently, and enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by FramerDave View Post
    How would it be possible to know how long the signal had been traveling?
    I think you're right, Dave. I can't see how it would be possible. Typically, estimating distance using an electromagnetic signal measures the redshift caused by the expansion of space, er, I mean the difference in reference frames. The redshift for a distance of 7 light-seconds would essentially be undetectable.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Ok, thanks for confirming. I'm not missing something obvious, and it looks like the movie either took some liberties or just goofed.

They could tell it took 12 parsecs to get there.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    IIRC, the many ET craft did seem to be racing each other. A turn marker at 7 light sec. would reveal that distance due to Doppler.
    Last edited by George; 2018-Jan-30 at 04:05 PM.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

They could of bounced radar off from the craft. The moon is about 1.3 seconds so the craft is about 5 to 6 times further out. The way that they found out how far Venus was is that they bounced a radar signal from Arecibo and before that they know the ratios between the Earth-Venus and Sun so they could now exactly how away the sun was.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    I think you're right, Dave. I can't see how it would be possible. Typically, estimating distance using an electromagnetic signal measures the redshift caused by the expansion of space, er, I mean the difference in reference frames. The redshift for a distance of 7 light-seconds would essentially be undetectable.
    It's also vaguely possible if you know how different frequencies are attenuated over distance. I suspect 7 light seconds is far too short a distance for that to be significant.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Yes, 12 parsecs and 16 angstroms.
    As above, so below

I don't know how you broadcast musical notes with electromagnetic waves,
    By modulating them? Pretty much like AM/FM radio.
    You have a carrier, and then superimpose a frequency on top of it - by modulating either the frequency or amplitude. This produces the actual signal. If that signal pulses between 10 and 15,000 Hz, you have sound.

if it's photons I don't know why you would know how far away it is.
    They don't go into sufficient detail to tell, but there are ways.

For all we know, they have more than one tracking station This would allow them to triangulate.

Seven light seconds is somewhat further than the sun, so it can't be broadcast in actual sound, i.e. air pressure waves.
    Er. The Sun is 8 light minutes away. 7 light seconds is about 1.3 million miles - or about 5x farther than the Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Er. The Sun is 8 light minutes away. 7 light seconds is about 1.3 million miles - or about 5x farther than the Moon.
    Oops. Yeah, I meant the moon. I got a bit confused between those two bright things.
    As above, so below

Oops. Yeah, I meant the moon. I got a bit confused between those two bright things.
    (Cough)Post#5(Cough)

Tap, tap...is this thing on?

Last edited by Extravoice; 2018-Jan-31 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks for your answers, everyone. I consider myself a fairly sharp guy, so it's gratifying to know I didn't screw up and miss something painfully obvious.

I was just going off the scene in the movie, trying not to read too much into it. I thought of the idea of triangulating the signal but there was no mention of any other receivers picking up the signal, although obviously anyone with the right equipment and listening at the right frequency could have picked it up. I had not thought of the simple idea of bouncing a radar signal off it, but again there was no mention of it. Technically, had they done that, then the "light travel time under seven seconds" comment would have been correct, but 1) they made no mention of radar and 2) it would have been much simpler to say so than to resort to a convoluted, sciencey-sounding phrase.

I'll just file this one away with the Kessel Run and enjoy it as a fun movie. I saw it as a seven-year-old kid when it first came out and it's always been a favorite.