Thread: Perihelion precession of Saturn

Perihelion precession of Saturn

Are they saying here that the perihelion precession of Saturn is caused by PlanetX?
    https://arxiv.org/abs/0907.4514

Regards,
    philippeb8
    Last edited by philippeb8; 2018-Jan-30 at 10:01 PM.

Saying it could be explained by an as-yet-unidentifed body in the out solar system, yes.
    Or by the External Field Effect modfication of gravity, though the wording is strange - suggesting that EFE might mimic a perturbing body with a particular position, rather than just saying that the precession might also be explained by EFE.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Saying it could be explained by an as-yet-unidentifed body in the out solar system, yes.
    Or by the External Field Effect modfication of gravity, though the wording is strange - suggesting that EFE might mimic a perturbing body with a particular position, rather than just saying that the precession might also be explained by EFE.

Grant Hutchison
    The former is similar to the Mercury / Vulcan hypothesis...

Thanks grant hutchison!

That is what the abstract states.
    The perihelion precession of Saturn, planet X/Nemesis and MOND
    We show that the retrograde perihelion precession of Saturn \Delta\dot\varpi, recently estimated by different teams of astronomers by processing ranging data from the Cassini spacecraft and amounting to some milliarcseconds per century, can be explained in terms of a localized, distant body X, not yet directly discovered. From the determination of its tidal parameter K = GM_X/r_X^3 as a function of its ecliptic longitude \lambda_X and latitude \beta_X, we calculate the distance at which X may exist for different values of its mass, ranging from the size of Mars to that of the Sun. The minimum distance would occur for X located perpendicularly to the ecliptic, while the maximum distance is for X lying in the ecliptic. We find for rock-ice planets of the size of Mars and the Earth that they would be at about 80-150 au, respectively, while a Jupiter-sized gaseous giant would be at approximately 1 kau. A typical brown dwarf would be located at about 4 kau, while an object with the mass of the Sun would be at approximately 10 kau, so that it could not be Nemesis for which a solar mass and a heliocentric distance of about 88 kau are predicted.
    An analogy is the attempt to explain the perihelion precession of Mercury by postulating a new planet (Vulcan).

Current observations make the proposed planet X in this 2011 paper unlikely. This includes a later paper by the author.
    Constraints on additional planets
    Lorenzo Iorio concluded that any unknown planet with a mass of 0.7 times that of Earth must be farther than 350–400 AU
    That is roughly Mars sized and that earlier paper by Iorio puts such a planet X at ~80 AU.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
    Current observations make the proposed planet X in this 2011 paper unlikely.
    Are you saying that MOND is an inevitable assertion?

Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    This was probably my last question for a while.

Thanks in advance Reality Check, you are very knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    No. I ignored what look like dubious MOND stuff in the paper.
    Last edited by Reality Check; 2018-Feb-01 at 12:43 AM.

It would appear that Saturn and some KBOs together may be a probe for possible large planets way out there. Never a dull moment as we learn more about our solar system.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
    No. I ignored what look like dubious MOND stuff in the paper.
    Ok thank you very much!

I appreciate all the help from CQ and special thanks to PetersCreek and tusenfem for the strict behavior I really needed when I went off-track a couple of times!