Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 63

Thread: What would we actually call a space marine?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,436

    What would we actually call a space marine?

    If we ever actually had them?
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

    Stephen Colbert.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,272
    I think we'd have to call them "space marines", no matter how little sense that actually makes.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Peters Creek, Alaska
    Posts
    12,088
    Whether they're conducting ops in jungles, deserts, rivers, or urban centers...afoot, at sea, or in the air...we still call them Marines. I see no reason to spacify it just because we've added a new theater of operations. Based on the Marines I know, I doubt they'd think very highly of such a name, anyway.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.


    Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,272
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Whether they're conducting ops in jungles, deserts, rivers, or urban centers...afoot, at sea, or in the air...we still call them Marines.
    I think in the UK we'd call them Commandos, or perhaps Marine Commandos, in those roles. The Royal Marines nowadays have an "amphibious and commando" remit, but historically the Commandos came from all branches of the service.

    "Space commandos" - spacesuits and no underwear? Maybe not.

    Maybe we'd follow the line of descent from the original Commando regiments to the UK's Parachute Regiment, Special Air Service and Special Boat Service and call them the Special Space Service.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,427
    "Sir, yes sir".
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    10,081
    Well, various epithets could include Black Devils.

    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

    How do things fly? This explains it all.

    Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Peters Creek, Alaska
    Posts
    12,088
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I think in the UK we'd call them Commandos, or perhaps Marine Commandos, in those roles.
    Rank and file U.S. Marines could be tasked with the roles I mentioned and/or they could involve specialties like Force Recon or the MARSOC Raiders. It just depends on the mission. But they're all still Marines, once and always. However, the latter example of special forces does raise a groan worthy possibility: Space Raiders. Nah, I'm pretty sure no self respecting Marine would go for that, either.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.


    Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    47,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    "Sir, yes sir".
    You beat me to it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Peters Creek, Alaska
    Posts
    12,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    "Sir, yes sir".
    Only when addressing a commissioned officer. Believe me, you do not want to be dressed down by a Master Gunnery Sergeant for calling him (or her!) "Sir."
    I've seen it happen.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.


    Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    14,645
    Doomed.
    ____________
    "Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side." -- Frank Zappa
    "Your right to hold an opinion is not being contested. Your expectation that it be taken seriously is." -- Jason Thompson
    "This is really very simple, but unfortunately it's very complicated." -- publius

    Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    14,104
    Why not just Soldiers?

    Marines are just soldiers based on ships. If they aren't based on ships they shouldn't be Marines.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    10,081
    Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Why not just Soldiers?

    Marines are just soldiers based on ships. If they aren't based on ships they shouldn't be Marines.
    They’re frequently marines because of history. I can think of a few marine corps: US, UK, Taiwan, South Korea, Netherlands, and a number of similar forces with different names, like the San Marco Brigade.

    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

    How do things fly? This explains it all.

    Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,041
    太空海洋

    If that is wrong then blame Google translate.

    In the French military at various times "Marine" has been interchangeable with "Coloniale" so would apply in space as well.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,041
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Only when addressing a commissioned officer. Believe me, you do not want to be dressed down by a Master Gunnery Sergeant for calling him (or her!) "Sir."
    I've seen it happen.
    "Don't call me sir. I'm not an officer. I work for a living."

    (Colorful epithets and familial references removed for brevity.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    10
    Speak to me of summer
    Long winters longer than time can remember
    Setting up of other roads
    To travel on in old accustomed ways
    I still remember the talks by the water
    The proud sons and daughters
    That in the knowledge of the land
    Spoke to me in sweet accustomed ways

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    "Don't call me sir. I'm not an officer. I work for a living."

    (Colorful epithets and familial references removed for brevity.)
    I was a Specialist Fifth Class. Once in a while someone would call me "Sarge". I thought, but didn't say, "Don't call me Sarge, I work for a living."
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Peters Creek, Alaska
    Posts
    12,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I was a Specialist Fifth Class. Once in a while someone would call me "Sarge". I thought, but didn't say, "Don't call me Sarge, I work for a living."
    That was something I never fully got. I could be (and was) both a specialist and a Sergeant. In fact, the basic USAF enlisted job titles were typically Something-Something-Something Specialist, with the "Specialist" part being replaced later with something like "Technician" or "Craftsman" as one progressed through skill levels. I started off as a 322X2B - Avionic Sensor Systems Specialist, Tactical Real-Time Displays, Electro-Optical.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.


    Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,272
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Avionic Sensor Systems Specialist, Tactical Real-Time Displays, Electro-Optical.
    Now, that's what I call "specialist"!

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,897
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    ...I started off as a 322X2B - Avionic Sensor Systems Specialist, Tactical Real-Time Displays, Electro-Optical.
    If you hadn't have put "Electro" in there I'd have accused you of making "window cleaner" sound like the most technical job ever.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    12,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    太空海洋

    If that is wrong then blame Google translate.
    I could be wrong but I think reads: outer space ocean.
    As above, so below

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    14,104
    Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    They’re frequently marines because of history. I can think of a few marine corps: US, UK, Taiwan, South Korea, Netherlands, and a number of similar forces with different names, like the San Marco Brigade.
    And the Marines are part of the Navy so I suppose they could be sailors who wear big hats and boots.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    12,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    太空海洋

    If that is wrong then blame Google translate.

    In the French military at various times "Marine" has been interchangeable with "Coloniale" so would apply in space as well.
    It's a little long, but here is a better translation:

    太空海军陆战队

    The way you translated it, Google used the meaning of "marine" as in "marine biology". So the adjective form of sea.
    As above, so below

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    13,427
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    That was something I never fully got. I could be (and was) both a specialist and a Sergeant. In fact, the basic USAF enlisted job titles were typically Something-Something-Something Specialist, with the "Specialist" part being replaced later with something like "Technician" or "Craftsman" as one progressed through skill levels. I started off as a 322X2B - Avionic Sensor Systems Specialist, Tactical Real-Time Displays, Electro-Optical.
    In the US Army of 45 years ago, the middle enlisted pay grades were on a dual track system, one for "Specialists" and the other for NCO's. NCO's were generally considered to have some sort of authority over others, specialists did not. Nearly all E-4's were Specialists 4th class, almost none were Corporals. E-5 was about equally divided between Specialist 5 and "Buck" Sergeant. Most E-6's were Staff Sergeants. You could theoretically be a Specialist 7, I think, but I certainly never met one.
    Today's Army has done away with that and the only Specialists are E-4's.

    My recollection is that in the USAF at that time, E-4's were Sergeants.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,966
    The term you're searching for is Space Ranger.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Peters Creek, Alaska
    Posts
    12,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My recollection is that in the USAF at that time, E-4's were Sergeants.
    Yes and no. For many years, the USAF E-4 pay grade was meant to serve as a transition from junior enlisted to non-commissioned officer status. Initial promotion to E-4 was with the rank of Senior Airman (abbr: SrA). After serving one year as a SrA and with the supervisor's recommendation, one was appointed to NCO status with the rank of Sergeant...aka, "buck sergeant". A sore spot was that this increase in responsibility came with no increase in pay. The rank of Sergeant was discontinued in the early '90s and thereafter, Senior Airmen tested for promotion to the first NCO grade, Staff Sergeant (E-5).

    Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    The term you're searching for is Space Ranger.
    By history and tradition, I think that would be more appropriate for the U.S. Army, rather than the USMC. A quick Wikilook suggests that the term "ranger" isn't common in the Marines (or equivalent) of other countries, either.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.


    Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,254
    As much as I like the name ¨Space Marine¨ and enjoy books and movies about them, I have a feeling that real marines in space would be much less of a combat asset than a control/function person. Space ships are hideously complex, and having a special group to oversee/guard/support operations would be kind of important. If the Marines morphed into that, it would be interesting. How hands on that job would be is really up in the air (space).
    Solfe

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    It's a little long, but here is a better translation:

    太空海军陆战队

    The way you translated it, Google used the meaning of "marine" as in "marine biology". So the adjective form of sea.
    When my brothers and I were younger, we frequently visited Long Island's Atlantis Marine World Aquarium (now the Long Island Aquarium), so they became familiar with that meaning of "marine". While watching a TV show that mentioned "marines", my little brother P. therefore quite sensibly told me that "Marines are people who work at aquariums."

    Sometimes I still bring it up with him as a funny childhood story.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    10,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    As much as I like the name ¨Space Marine¨ and enjoy books and movies about them, I have a feeling that real marines in space would be much less of a combat asset than a control/function person. Space ships are hideously complex, and having a special group to oversee/guard/support operations would be kind of important. If the Marines morphed into that, it would be interesting. How hands on that job would be is really up in the air (space).
    Part -- a small part -- of the reason marines were on ship were to guard officer country, but the real reasons were a) shooting at the seaman handling the sails and rigging and the deck officers <added in edit>of enemy ships </added in edit> b) boarding parties and c) landing parties.

    During the imperialistic era, that last became most important.
    Last edited by swampyankee; 2018-Feb-09 at 03:27 AM.

    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

    How do things fly? This explains it all.

    Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.



  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,272
    Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Part -- a small part -- of the reason marines were on ship were to guard officer country, but the real reasons were a) shooting at the seaman handling the sails and rigging and the deck officers ...
    I had to read that a few times. This is shooting at the seamen and officers on another, enemy ship. Yes?

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    12,844
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I had to read that a few times. This is shooting at the seamen and officers on another, enemy ship. Yes?
    I hope so too. I guess the other possibility is that it was to encourage their own men to work faster. Kind of like how an Australian friend told me that they are good at Olympic swimming because they put crocodiles into the school swimming pools.
    As above, so below

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •