Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would we actually call a space marine?

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I had to read that a few times. This is shooting at the seamen and officers on another, enemy ship. Yes?

Grant Hutchison
    Very true in some cases, but not always. Marines shooting into the rigging of enemy ships was a very good tactic. I am really sure the marines would rather do that than many of the other things that can happen on a ship. Battleship Potemkin started with a mutiny. The marines should be shooting the sailors, but don´t. The film is fictionalized and really over the top. I can´t say it´s a good movie, but I´ve seen it several times.

I would think that in real life, most sailors who mutiny refuse to work rather than stage a takeover. That is more an issue of conduct rather than shooting. Maybe they get arrested. Another thing I have noticed is most ships have very little capacity to lock people up. The poor marines probably have to dog that person until they get someplace where they can turn the mutineer over. That must be tiresome.

Being pressed into fire duty (marine or otherwise) must be the worst situation.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Very true in some cases, but not always.
    I think "shooting at the seamen handling the sails and rigging" is probably only ever a good idea if they're enemy sailors handling another ship.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I had to read that a few times. This is shooting at the seamen and officers on another, enemy ship. Yes?

Grant Hutchison
    erh, yes
    I'm going to fix that.....

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

The Black Berets?

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    The Black Berets?
    Assuming they have heads!
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Assuming they have heads!
    Have you ever met someone that didn't have a head?
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

The Black Berets?

Standard U.S. Army headgear unless approved for another, such as the Green Beret.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Have you ever met someone that didn't have a head?
    Well I was kind of joking. The question was:
    What would we actually call a space marine? If we ever actually had them?
    So I was just imagining that by the time we get them, they might not be human, but might be some characters out of Star Wars. Jokingly, but I didn't leave a smiley so I guess it's my fault.
    As above, so below

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    If the whole point is that a marine is a soldier on a marine vessel, then a soldier on a space vessel would be an astro surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    If the whole point is that a marine is a soldier on a marine vessel, then a soldier on a space vessel would be an astro surely.
    No, it would be a "space."
    As above, so below

It's a little long, but here is a better translation:

太空海军陆战队

The way you translated it, Google used the meaning of "marine" as in "marine biology". So the adjective form of sea.
    Thanks, I just went with a quick and dirty google translation to suggest that they might not be named in English. Wiki suggests : 中国人民解放军海军陆战队 but that should probably have "space" put in there for completeness.

The Black Berets?

Already used by for decades by, for example British armored regiments.

Of course, the space marines may be robots. What would their paint job look like?

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Ahem, armoured.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    Ahem, armoured.
    Royal Armoured Corps, then.

Black berets are worn by a lot of armored units starting well before the US Army used them. The British adopted them from the French in WWI

Wiki suggests : 中国人民解放军海军陆战队 but that should probably have "space" put in there for completeness.
    Well, that one’s long but also a bit limiting. The first seven characters there read:

The Chinese People’s Liberation Army.

So that phrase would mean the Chinese Marines.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    By history and tradition, I think that would be more appropriate for the U.S. Army, rather than the USMC. A quick Wikilook suggests that the term "ranger" isn't common in the Marines (or equivalent) of other countries, either.
    Toy Story reference.

Since it's space why would Marines' training be more applicable to their deployment environment than Army or Navy or Airforce? Space soldiers would most likely belong to a Space Corps, Space Force, whatever, and their training would be like a cross between astronaut training and Army/Navy/Marines boot camp. They could be called Space Rangers, Starship Troopers, or whatever the brass thought sounded cool and tough and dignified.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    They could be called Space Rangers, Starship Troopers, or whatever the brass thought sounded cool and tough and dignified.
    You might be right, especially if they stand up a new service (or multinational force) for the mission. After all, they did just that when the U.S. Air Force was created. But the OP specifically mentioned marines/Marines, so I approached it from that angle...a U.S. angle since that’s what I have experience with. That is, if a particular service is tasked for space operations, I think it most likely they would retain the traditional title of Marine, soldier, airman, or seaman.

In a way, there is already a precedent: the U.S. Air Force Space Command. While subordinate units incorporate “space” into their designations...such as Space Wing...the service members are still collectively referred to as airmen. They’re still earthbound of course but would that change if they began conducting manned ops in space? Maybe but I doubt it. Not if they were still in the USAF chain of command. But then, I am not and never was “brass”.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My recollection is that in the USAF at that time, E-4's were Sergeants.
    No Time for E-4s, starring Andy Griffith!

Just doesn't have the same ring...

In "Avatar" the main character was referred to as a "Gyrine". I took it as a combination of "Marine" and "gyroscopic". I think he was also called "Marine" in another scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    In "Avatar" the main character was referred to as a "Gyrine". I took it as a combination of "Marine" and "gyroscopic". I think he was also called "Marine" in another scene.
    I think “gyrine” is a a portmonteau of “GI” and “marine”; it predates the movie.

I think we'd have to call them "space marines", no matter how little sense that actually makes.

Grant Hutchison
    Right. We have "Air Cavalry" in our military, despite the lack of flying horses. Ditto the sport of "water polo" and rideable sea horses.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

The "cavalry" part is their rôle, not what they are equipped with. Conversely in the Korean War the 1st US Cavalry Division was an infantry formation.

The "cavalry" part is their rôle, not what they are equipped with. Conversely in the Korean War the 1st US Cavalry Division was an infantry formation.
    But that's my point. The name does not match the original combat role anymore. Same with space "Marines" who might not serve on open water in their entire military career.

The name does match their rôle as they are recon. They perform the function of light cavalry.

Given the countries which are actually investing in space my latest suggestion would be: भारतीय नौसैनिकों

The name does match their rôle as they are recon. They perform the function of light cavalry.
    And Space Marines could perform the function of Marines. But in space.

But cavalry comes from caballus, which is Vulgar Latin for horse, so it seems strange to me, as a Romance language speaker, to use cavalry for soldiers who are not on horseback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

But cavalry comes from caballus, which is Vulgar Latin for horse, so it seems strange to me, as a Romance language speaker, to use cavalry for soldiers who are not on horseback.
    How about someone with a cavalier attitude who doesn't even have a horse? That's pretty cavalier, I'd say.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

How about someone with a cavalier attitude who doesn't even have a horse? That's pretty cavalier, I'd say.
    I agree. I’m not arguing that the meanings of words cannot go beyond their original meanings. Not at all. I was just arguing about what the original meaning of cavalry was. I got the impression that the poster was arguing that it meant reconnaissance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

I agree. I’m not arguing that the meanings of words cannot go beyond their original meanings. Not at all. I was just arguing about what the original meaning of cavalry was. I got the impression that the poster was arguing that it meant reconnaissance.
    I was pointing out that in current US military usage some reconnaissance units are called cavalry regardless of what they are equipped with as reconnaissance was traditionally a light cavalry function. In other armies like the British, Indian and Pakistani "cavalry" simply means armoured.

As for cavaliers, they are wrong but wromantic.

As for cavaliers, they are wrong but wromantic.
    The sometimes-quite-funny Cunk on Britain recently described Roundheads vs. Cavaliers as "Like a fight between Wayne Rooney and Noel Fielding." But I digress.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note: