Thread: Jarrah White turned ally?

Jarrah White turned ally?

I find myself in an awkward position this morning. Wasn't Jarrah White a big time Apollo hoax believer? I swear the name rings a very loud bell. My video of the Falcon Heavy launch has gone viral with over 100,000 hits and now Jarrah has taken it to use in a video attacking flat earthers and spaceflight deniers. Do I treat this as "enemy of my enemy is my friend?" Or has he had a change of heart with spaceflight conspiracies in general?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C8A7elwXqU

Mine is the Astronomy Live video he mentions. I may have accidentally given him full permission to do this without noticing, I granted it to a number of people but don't recall seeing his screen name. I'm not planning on asking him to take it down anyway (falls under fair use for commentary and criticism anyway AFAIK), but not sure how to treat him right now. I don't want my youtube screen name being later associated with supporting Apollo hoax belief. I'm quite confused.

*On a totally unrelated note, for those denying that the launch was real or that the Tesla reached orbit, here's an image stack I took of it leaving earth from Australia a short while ago. Imaging session was 1 hour long from start to finish. Exposures were 3 minutes a piece, with some gaps for re-positioning and re-focusing.
    http://h.dropcanvas.com/c7yeg/roadster2.jpg
    Last edited by NGCHunter; 2018-Feb-08 at 05:17 PM.

Was Jarrah White one of the "hoax" proponents that didn't deny the ability to fly (and possibly land) on the Moon, but rather believed the real mission was hidden/secret? I lack the willpower or energy to go find out, but I feel there are some on this board who remember all too well.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Just search the board for "Jarrah", plenty of discussion about the name Jarrah White

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Just search the board for "Jarrah", plenty of discussion about the name Jarrah White
    Yes, this board was actually the first place I learned of anyone with that given name, it wasn't until years later that I heard about anyone else named "Jarrah" or learned that it's actually a somewhat common name in Australia.

Jarrah White at RationalWiki.
    He denies that astronauts went to the Moon, landed and returned (thus the Apollo missions must be faked and the astronauts are liars) but does not deny spaceflight.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
    Jarrah White at RationalWiki.
    He denies that astronauts went to the Moon, landed and returned (thus the Apollo missions must be faked and the astronauts are liars) but does not deny spaceflight.
    Yes, his "granddaddy" and part time mentor Kaysing believed the same hoax and proved their own lack of understanding of real world physics and image analysis for the gullible to follow. I see nothing to dissuade my comment on him.

Quote Originally Posted by NGCHunter View Post
    I find myself in an awkward position this morning. Wasn't Jarrah White a big time Apollo hoax believer? I swear the name rings a very loud bell. My video of the Falcon Heavy launch has gone viral with over 100,000 hits and now Jarrah has taken it to use in a video attacking flat earthers and spaceflight deniers. Do I treat this as "enemy of my enemy is my friend?" Or has he had a change of heart with spaceflight conspiracies in general?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C8A7elwXqU

Mine is the Astronomy Live video he mentions. I may have accidentally given him full permission to do this without noticing, I granted it to a number of people but don't recall seeing his screen name. I'm not planning on asking him to take it down anyway (falls under fair use for commentary and criticism anyway AFAIK), but not sure how to treat him right now. I don't want my youtube screen name being later associated with supporting Apollo hoax belief. I'm quite confused.
    Personally I don't see a problem with having your video used by Jarrah White, although I can understand the concern.

My attitude is that all people have a range of beliefs, and while you may vehemently disagree with someone on one topic you may also strongly agree with them on other topics.

The problem arises with people who feel that disagreement on one particular issue taints the whole of the relationship. This can be made all the worse when people let discussions on a topic of disagreement get personal, as it becomes all the harder to get over the attitude when you find yourself on the same side as that person in a discussion of some other topic - it can be hard to support someone who you've called (for example) a clueless idiot somewhere else.

In my experiences on the Unexplained Mysteries forum, I interact with a large number of people. I find this makes it impossible to remember who are the "Good Guys" and who are the "Bad Guys". As a result, when I see someone posting something I disagree with my reply deals strictly with the content of the post and makes no comment about the poster. But I strongly suspect that a lot of the people I interact with on the UM forum are people I've agreed with in one section of the forum and disagreed with in another section...which of course means there aren't really "Good Guys" and "Bad Guys", just people I sometimes agree with and sometimes disagree with.

So my advice is that in your interactions with JW on the issue of the Falcon Heavy, you support him but in the process say nothing about Apollo. If he, or anyone else, tries to make the association between Falcon and Apollo ("so if you agree with JW on the Falcon Heavy you must also agree with him and me that Apollo was fake!"), then you shut the discussion down and make it clear you're limiting your comments to the Falcon Heavy. But in any case you keep the comments polite and focused on the topic and not the people.

That's why the Bad Astronomer's comments about not being a <redacted> are so important - in this context you don't want to needlessly alienate a potential ally on one subject and miss out the chance to convince them politely about how they're wrong on another subject.
    Last edited by Swift; 2018-Feb-14 at 06:30 PM. Reason: removed *ed word

Great advice Peter, thank you. It is well taken and I will go forward with that philosophy.

Well said, Peter. Sound advice that I will (try!) to always keep in mind, on-line or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
    <snip>

That's why the Bad Astronomer's comments about not being a <redacted> are so important - in this context you don't want to needlessly alienate a potential ally on one subject and miss out the chance to convince them politely about how they're wrong on another subject.
    If the forum software has converted a word to stars, please go back and edit your post to something more acceptable. Thanks,
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules