Thread: could photons be considered very long particles?

could photons be considered very long particles?

I mean if they went a long way. Could it be thought of as a particle that stretch through space-time?
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    I mean if they went a long way. Could it be thought of as a particle that stretch through space-time?
    WaxRubiks. The particulate nature of the photon increases as the wavelength shortens, but they are all part of the Standard model of particle physics. Distanced traveled depends on your reference frame. Einstein is pictured in some old treatises as riding one like a cowboy saddled on a horse. He wondered what photons alongside him would look like???...frozen waves???.. and it led him eventually to the Special Theory of Relativity. He of course gave most of the credit to Lorentz, whom he visited, and Lorentz had been keyed in his thinking by the Fitzgerald contraction solution to the negative result of the Michelson-Morley experiment. Keep thinking....read some of Isaac Asimov's paperbacks on this stuff...easy to self teach...Happy hunting. pete

I'm trying to figure out what your asking. What I'm coming up with is a flashlight that emits a single photon when you turn it on. Not a beam of light just a single photon. Which ends when the flashlight is turned off. Is it considered one photon for the duration of the on/off events?
    Last edited by DaCaptain; 2018-Feb-09 at 02:44 PM.
    I know that I know nothing, so I question everything. - Socrates/Descartes

Quote Originally Posted by DaCaptain View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what your asking. What I'm coming up with is a flashlight that emits a single photon when you turn it on. Not a beam of light just a single photon. Which ends when the flashlight is turned off. Is it considered one photon for the duration of the on/off events?
    No. It would be zillions of photons for a light being turned on for any appreciable duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    No. It would be zillions of photons for a light being turned on for any appreciable duration.
    Oops, ya my mind wasn't fully engaged when I asked the question
    I know that I know nothing, so I question everything. - Socrates/Descartes