Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Journal for completely new gravitational theory

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Oh dear. The other thing to do is to check that the conference venue actually exists. (Though this would appear to be a predatory conference rather than a complete scam.)
    Oh wow, even the Wikipage says it is predatory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_...and_Technology

The good news is I didn't pay the conference fees yet but I did sign a copyright transfer form but I still can cancel everything one way or the other.

Furthermore they did force me to rewrite the text so now my manuscript is even better than before.

Why isn't there more control in science? It feels like walking in quicksands!

Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    Why isn't there more control in science? It feels like walking in quicksands!
    Because then people would complain that Big Science was too controlling and they were trying to suppress people outside of the Science Establishment. (I'm only slightly kidding)

Because Science has no central authority. But I personally would be leary of anything not sponsored by a recognized science organization, such as the American Chemical Society. I don't know what the equivalents are in physics and cosmology, but I'm sure they exist.

Why should science be that different than any other human endeavor, almost all of which are plagued by people trying to make money off of the unsuspecting?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Just to confirm, I just called the Hotel Pennsylvania in NYC and they do host the WASET conference on August 27-28:

https://waset.org/conference/2018/08/new-york/ICTP

So it is likely predatory. They probably have money now to properly format the papers, like they did to mine. This is scary because they might gain a greater momentum than the mainstream itself!

Yeah, sorry to pour cold water on your efforts. From other comments expect to see them publish your work anyway, there doesn't seem to be much that stops them using your work as material to fill their proceedings.

I debated about mentioning this as I know you have a lot invested in publishing this and this conference would have published you. Just not with any real impact or in a meaningful way. Thought it was up to you to decide in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    Yeah, sorry to pour cold water on your efforts. From other comments expect to see them publish your work anyway, there doesn't seem to be much that stops them using your work as material to fill their proceedings.

I debated about mentioning this as I know you have a lot invested in publishing this and this conference would have published you. Just not with any real impact or in a meaningful way. Thought it was up to you to decide in the end.
    I should have sticked to my initial decision on whether INSPIRE indexes it or not.

But thanks anyways Shaula, it's better to know now than never because I didn't pay the registration yet. I'll politely ask for a cancellation like it is stated in the contract I signed and I'll try to resume my submission with the International Journal of Theoretical Physics.

I'll politely ask for a cancellation like it is stated in the contract I signed and I'll try to resume my submission with the International Journal of Theoretical Physics.
    Done.

Done.
    I just want the whole world to know that a day after I've withdrawn my manuscript from WASET, I received an email claiming they know my password and saying:

[...]
    Well, in my opinion, $2900 is a reasonable price tag for our little secret. You'll make the payment via Bitcoin (if you don't know this, search "how to buy bitcoin" in Google).

BTC Address: 18sZQbNEsAyxwUQhwMKzHnNKjkoyFpXcsW
    (It is cAsE sensitive, so copy and paste it)

Note:
    You have one day to make the payment. (I have a special pixel within this e-mail, and now I know that you have read through this e-mail). If I don't get the BitCoins
    [...]

The funny thing is the password they claimed to know is exactly the same dummy password I used on their website!

That means they probably store credit card info as well, etc. This organization is like the Mafia!

...This organization is like the Mafia!
    That is a fraudster wanting to get money from you (not WASET). They guess at a password people may have used and send out millions of these emails. Some of the guesses will be correct and some people are gullible enough to pay them.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
    That is a fraudster wanting to get money from you (not WASET). They guess at a password people may have used and send out millions of these emails. Some of the guesses will be correct and some people are gullible enough to pay them.
    They don't need to guess. Passwords have been harvested from compromised web sites (along with the associated email address) and are used in these kinds of scam-demands to lend authenticity.

The question is: was the password used in this case only ever used on the WASET website? I'd guess not.

(Reality Check: you're from NZ, if you're a Trade Me member, see this recent thread: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/...763661&topic=3 )
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2018-Jul-23 at 04:12 AM.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    The question is: was the password used in this case only ever used on the WASET website? I'd guess not.
    I used this dummy password 2 times in the last 20 years, one including WASET. They also used the same email address (I have 4).

The probabilities all point to the WASET website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used this dummy password 2 times in the last 20 years, one including WASET. They also used the same email address (I have 4).

The probabilities all point to the WASET website.

What was their threat? What was the "secret"?

Googling some of the content of your email shows many hits (Google for "Well, in my opinion, $2900 is a reasonable price tag for our little secret" including the quotes).

I really doubt all those people used the WASET website.

(It's possible the WASET website is badly built, and could be a very recent target of harvesting.)
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2018-Jul-23 at 04:19 AM.

They don't need to guess.
    I am going by my experience where I got the same email where they guessed that my password is the name of the company that I work for. That is not a password I have ever used. But as you point out, more sophisticated scam-demands could have actually stolen passwords.
    Their "demand" was a vague threat to reveal embarrassing information ("I know what you did last summer and where you browsed" stuff).
    Last edited by Reality Check; 2018-Jul-23 at 04:22 AM.

What was their threat? What was the "secret"?
    They claimed they have hacked my computer and all personal contacts and that they’re going to send data to my contacts.

First of all I don’t use Windows; I use Linux so their worm would not have worked under Linux.

Second the data they claim to have is inexistant.

So their threat is false but if it really WASET then they do have my physical address. So I do worry a little.

I am going by my experience where I got the same email where they guessed that my password is the name of the company that I work for. That is not a password I have ever used. But as you point out, more sophisticated scam-demands could have actually stolen passwords.
    Their "demand" was a vague threat to reveal embarrassing information ("I know what you did last summer and where you browsed" stuff).
    Wow. Even with all the common passwords and ways to choose passwords, that seems an amazingly inefficient way to spam (even with the millions sent).

For general note:

"Have I Been Pwned? (HIBP) is a website that allows internet users to check if their personal data has been compromised by data breaches."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_I_Been_Pwned%3F

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Interestingly, last week a report in the German speaking science community was presented on papers being published in these predatory journals and meetings. For those who speak German, it is here.

Today I got a message from the president of the Austrian Academy of Sciences also warning against such journals and meetings and WASET was in there by name (as well as OMICS and SCIRP).
    All comments made in red are moderator comments. Please, read the rules of the forum here and read the additional rules for ATM, and for conspiracy theories. If you think a post is inappropriate, don't comment on it in thread but report it using the /!\ button in the lower left corner of each message. But most of all, have fun!

Catch me on twitter: @tusenfem
    Catch Rosetta Plasma Consortium on twitter: @Rosetta_RPC

Quote Originally Posted by tusenfem View Post
    Today I got a message from the president of the Austrian Academy of Sciences also warning against such journals and meetings and WASET was in there by name (as well as OMICS and SCIRP).
    Interesting...

Wow. Even with all the common passwords and ways to choose passwords, that seems an amazingly inefficient way to spam (even with the millions sent).
    Getting off topic but millions of emails is fairly cheap. I have seen 190 USD for 1 million emails (or $780 for 10 million) from a legitimate, commercial provider. 1 in a million person people falling for the scam would make it profitable. Illegal email providers should be even cheaper. An automated process to send out the emails world taking a list of emails addresses, look for web content related to them, extract a significant word from the content and plug that into the template. For example, someone who uses a pet name for their password and mentions the pet frequently will see what looks like a security breach. I have my CV online and that is probably why my company name popped up.
    This does not rule out a compromised web site allowing the scammer to also include actual security breaches.

Getting off topic but [...]
    Great post. If it stopped there. Stop the hack discussion please, it is off-topic for this thread.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Just to confirm, I just called the Hotel Pennsylvania in NYC and they do host the WASET conference on August 27-28:
    Hello, I happen to work as a manager at a hotel and I can tell you that if I ever found out that some group was renting out our meeting room for fraudulent or predatory purposes and that was actively trying to extort people for money I would cancel their reservation immediately, refuse to allow them to use any of our spaces and forward their information along to the appropriate authorities. If you contact the manager of this hotel and pass along the threatening e-mail you got from them they may take some action. I'm not saying they definitely will, just that me personally I would never allow this to happen in my hotel. Just something you may want to do, especially with that e-mail that was trying to actively bribe you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave241 View Post
    Hello, I happen to work as a manager at a hotel and I can tell you that if I ever found out that some group was renting out our meeting room for fraudulent or predatory purposes and that was actively trying to extort people for money I would cancel their reservation immediately, refuse to allow them to use any of our spaces and forward their information along to the appropriate authorities. If you contact the manager of this hotel and pass along the threatening e-mail you got from them they may take some action. I'm not saying they definitely will, just that me personally I would never allow this to happen in my hotel. Just something you may want to do, especially with that e-mail that was trying to actively bribe you.
    Yeah I got a second email saying something similar. Thanks for the advice, I'll send the hotel a note by email.

Ok so I've applied for a poster and I was accepted so my paper will finally be published somewhere.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for a real peer-review here:
    https://link.springer.com/journal/10773

And I plan to attend the ISS-CASIS conference:
    https://www.issconference.org/

So my theory will be known this year, it's inevitable.
    Maybe not after all; my paper was rejected for no clear reason:

We thank you for your kind offer to let us publish your manuscript, but regret to inform you that we have decided not to accept your offer. The paper did not undergo technical review and is not being declined for any technical error.
    We wish you every success in finding an alternative place of publication.
    Maybe it's because I tried to publish it first, withdrawn it and publish it again at the same place?

Oh wow! I can't believe it!

Of course! If I want my manuscript to be published in the InspireHEP database then all I need to do is to browse its associated journals:

http://inspirehep.net/search?ln=en&c..._search=Search

Of course! If I want my manuscript to be published in the InspireHEP database then all I need to do is to browse its associated journals:

Aka “reverse lookup”!

Maybe not after all; my paper was rejected for no clear reason:

Maybe it's because I tried to publish it first, withdrawn it and publish it again at the same place?

Oh wow! I can't believe it!
    No, I suspect it’s because the editor who looked at it realized it was not adequate to pass peer review and rejected it, that’s quite common.

As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    No, I suspect it’s because the editor who looked at it realized it was not adequate to pass peer review and rejected it, that’s quite common.

Well if a theoretical physics journal doesn't publish theoretical physics manuscripts then I think there's a serious problem.

I may have already exhausted all my options because not all journals are really indexed by InspireHEP!

Well if a theoretical physics journal doesn't publish theoretical physics manuscripts then I think there's a serious problem.
    "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves"

I hate to tell you this, but maybe the reason no one wants to publish your paper is that it isn't a very good paper.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves"

I hate to tell you this, but maybe the reason no one wants to publish your paper is that it isn't a very good paper.
    Let's put all the cards on the table and explore the possibilities:
    - I've got 20 years of experience in the commercial IT sector
    - I am starting my own business
    - I will patent my own invention
    - I have important associates already (CEO, CFO, CMO, etc.)

So this is me... I like to finish what I started. Now the possibilities:
    1) I do not understand simple calculus and my manuscript is a joke
    2) My manuscript got the right solution but no one wants to admit the solution is that simple
    3) My manuscript got the right solution but no one wants to admit they're wrong

If I didn't understand calculus 1) I wouldn't have my degree and quite honestly calculus is very easy compared to advanced probabilities and statistics. So I tend to believe the answer oscillates between 2) and 3). I also sent an article in a different thread proving GR cannot explain the expansion of the universe w/ two different techniques.

So if I am right then it doesn't matter because I will denounce the problem sooner or later after I get known by the industry. NASA is also trying to ghost me.

If I am wrong then let's wait another 500 years to explain dark matter and dark energy.
    Last edited by philippeb8; 2018-Sep-08 at 03:40 AM.

I think there is another possibility that you failed to mention, which may be the correct one:

My manuscript is not written clearly enough to allow readers to understand precisely the finding that I am presenting, regardless of whether it is correct or not. They might have jumped to the references and seen that you fail to quote other important papers in the literature.

As above, so below

So this is me... I like to finish what I started. Now the possibilities:
    1) I do not understand simple calculus and my manuscript is a joke
    2) My manuscript got the right solution but no one wants to admit the solution is that simple
    3) My manuscript got the right solution but no one wants to admit they're wrong
    4) You understand the maths fine but are misapplying it
    5) You understand the maths fine but not the physics
    6) You are so bought into the theory that you can't see its flaws
    7) The structure of the theory is essentially arbitrary and results are exception driven
    etc
    etc

I'm not saying what possibility is most likely, I am just pointing out that your list is woefully incomplete because you are setting up a false dichotomy ("Either the maths is wrong or my theory is right")