Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 259

Thread: Journal for completely new gravitational theory

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    47,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
    <snip>
    However you can always put it up as a poster (an area usually outside the conference rooms where anyone can put up a poster describing their work).
    I wonder if this is a difference between chemistry and physics conferences. At any of the chemistry conferences I have attended over the many years, I've never seen one where anyone, or even any attendee, can put up a poster. Usually the criteria for posters are pretty relaxed, but you still need to submit the request in advance of the conference (usually by submitting an abstract) and it must be approved. Usually there will a time during the conference, usually during a happy hour reception, when the author of the poster is expected to be by their poster for a couple of hours, to answer questions. Usually the poster abstracts are included in the conference proceedings.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I wonder if this is a difference between chemistry and physics conferences.
    Likewise in medicine. There's a degree of crossover between poster and presentation (sometimes you submit a poster and are invited to make a presentation, sometimes you submit a presentation and are invited to produce a poster), but both are peer-reviewed (the joy of reviewing 200 poster submissions against a deadline simply cannot be described). Often, posters are published either in a booklet for the attendees, or in a supplement to the official journal of the organisation hosting the meeting.
    The pecking order on the CV is publication/presentation/poster.
    But there's no way you can turn up on the day with a poster and hope to be given space for it. How could that work?

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    47,733
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    <snip>
    The pecking order on the CV is publication/presentation/poster.
    I would completely agree. Still, a poster at an appropriate conference (or at an appropriate session in a larger conference) might be a good "foot in the door". It can give you a nice opportunity to chat with people in the field.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I would completely agree. Still, a poster at an appropriate conference (or at an appropriate session in a larger conference) might be a good "foot in the door". It can give you a nice opportunity to chat with people in the field.
    Either that or the ISS-CASIS one, where I could ask them some updates:
    https://www.issconference.org

    The former is more theoretical and the latter is more practical. But I am not sure which one is more important given both aspects matter.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I wonder if this is a difference between chemistry and physics conferences.
    I am going by the one physics conference that I attended many years ago where there was no advance request for an abstract that I was aware of (though maybe my thesis advisor handled it).
    My understanding is that anyone who registers for a conference and declares their intention to post their research can, subject to other conference requirements such as acceptance of the abstract as mentioned, put up a poster.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    Ok so I've applied for a poster and I was accepted so my paper will finally be published somewhere.

    Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for a real peer-review here:
    https://link.springer.com/journal/10773

    And I plan to attend the ISS-CASIS conference:
    https://www.issconference.org/

    So my theory will be known this year, it's inevitable.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,227
    Ok, I'm confused. It turns out the aforementioned conference seems to have a serious peer-review system (and in my case it was accepted):

    A-Refereed Papers
    1- Papers are sent to three reviewers identified as experts in the area of
    research. The anonymous reviewers are from different universities around the
    world.
    2- Papers are deemed acceptable once at least two reviewers give positive
    evaluation.
    3- The authors get an acceptance letter and review form from the reviewers
    through the peer review system.
    4- The authors are then advised to address the comments made by the
    reviewers.
    5- On corresponding, the paper is referred back to the reviewers to check
    whether the comments are addressed. If the comments are not addressed, the
    paper is referred back to the authors to make good revisions.

    B-Edited Papers
    The accepted papers are then edited by the Editorial Board to remove the
    minor mistakes in punctuation, grammar and scientific format.


    And I need to make sure that:

    1. This paper has not been published in the same form elsewhere.
    2. It will not be submitted anywhere else for publication prior to acceptance/rejection by Academy of Science,
    Engineering and Technology.
    3. A copyright permission is obtained for materials published elsewhere and which require this permission for
    reproduction.


    Sincerely,
    International Scientific Committee
    ICTP 2018 : International Conference on Theoretical Physics
    New York, USA.


    It seems that I should cancel my submission to the International Journal of Theoretical Physics, given the International Conference on Theoretical Physics is better?
    Last edited by philippeb8; 2018-Jun-28 at 03:25 AM.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    Ok, I'm confused. It turns out the aforementioned conference seems to have a serious peer-review system (and in my case it was accepted):
    What you quote says "papers" not posters or abstracts which may be treated differently. Where did you get that information?

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
    What you quote says "papers" not posters or abstracts which may be treated differently. Where did you get that information?
    From their website but you need to have an account and login:

    https://waset.org/pdf/PeerReviewProc...ime=1530154690


    I also received a letter saying it will be included in the proceedings:

    Herewith, the international scientific committee is happy to inform you that the peer-
    reviewed draft paper code 18US080345 entitled ([...]) has been
    accepted for poster presentation as well as inclusion in the conference proceedings of
    the ICTP 2018 : 20th International Conference on Theoretical Physics to be held in New
    York, USA during August, 27-28, 2018. The high-impact conference papers will also be
    considered for publication in the special journal issues at http://waset.org/Publications.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    From their website but you need to have an account and login:
    There is a big difference between a full text paper that is presented to be definitely published (as in this conference) and an abstract paper or poster. The first needs strict peer review. An abstract paper is a summery. As a general rule, papers have many pages and a summary will not have enough information for good peer review.

    A clue that your abstract was probably not peer reviewed by external reviewers is that it was accepted in about 3 days. Thus "peer-reviewed draft paper" looks like conference peer review of a draft paper.
    Last edited by Reality Check; 2018-Jun-28 at 04:57 AM.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
    A clue that your abstract was probably not peer reviewed by external reviewers is that it was accepted in about 3 days.
    Their review was pretty efficient and I made 2 to 3 corrections each day for 2 days. If they are 3 experts for each paper then I think that is enough to review a simple abstract, no?

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,832
    Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    Their review was pretty efficient and I made 2 to 3 corrections each day for 2 days. If they are 3 experts for each paper then I think that is enough to review a simple abstract, no?
    As I wrote, a simple abstract cannot be strictly peer reviewed because summaries lack the full evidence. Otherwise no one would ever submit a full scientific paper, just their abstracts!

    Also think about the time needed for the 3 to 6 corrections to be reviewed by 3 external peer reviewers who are full time scientists fitting yours and other reviews into whatever time they have. It could be done but it is more likely that you were communicating with the conference equivalent of a journal editor.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,942
    Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    Their review was pretty efficient and I made 2 to 3 corrections each day for 2 days. If they are 3 experts for each paper then I think that is enough to review a simple abstract, no?
    The way the conference review system works is usually:
    Paper appears to be of high interest, high scientific value and high impact: Accept and peer review for inclusion as a paper
    Paper appears to be interesting, have scientific value and may have impact: Accept, peer review abstract, include as presentation only
    Paper may be interesting, might have scientific value, might have impact: Accept, QC abstract, accept as poster

    What you have submitted has not been fully peer reviewed and this is not the same as it being published in a peer reviewed journal. As Reality Check says a review of the abstract cannot be thorough as it doesn't look at the full evidence in the paper. Think of this poster as an opportunity to make your case and garner interest in your idea. It is more like posting in the ATM forum here but with a couple of quality checks to be sure you are not presenting something obviously incoherent.

    Good luck.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    Good luck.
    Thanks but they now actually are reviewing the whole text and they found the occurrences of previous versions of my manuscript all over the web and they say I cannot self-plagiarize. Self-plagiarism is considered plagiarism? Oh wow so now I need to reword the whole text!

    I guess deleting the previous versions won't be enough because I know the web is cached (https://archive.org/web/).

    I thought self-publishing over the web had no impact but apparently, it does!

    But that gives you an idea of how serious they are. It looks like I'll have to cancel my submission to the International Journal of Theoretical Physics very soon!

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,518
    Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    Thanks but they now actually are reviewing the whole text and they found the occurrences of previous versions of my manuscript all over the web and they say I cannot self-plagiarize. Self-plagiarism is considered plagiarism? Oh wow so now I need to reword the whole text!

    I guess deleting the previous versions won't be enough because I know the web is cached (https://archive.org/web/).

    I thought self-publishing over the web had no impact but apparently, it does!
    Of course it does. If you scatter versions of the text all over the internet, journal editors will find it, and will reject your paper on the grounds that it is "previously published". And you need to rewrite anyway - the appropriate text for a paper is not the appropriate text for a poster.

    Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    But that gives you an idea of how serious they are. It looks like I'll have to cancel my submission to the International Journal of Theoretical Physics very soon!
    Like, now. Before a referee for that journal recognizes the content of your poster abstract.

    I don't know what it's like for this particular meeting, but in my field having a poster presentation did not necessarily guarantee publication in the proceedings of the meeting. Over the years I've seen judges reject the text at the presentation stage and have it withdrawn from the proceedings.

    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Like, now. Before a referee for that journal recognizes the content of your poster abstract.
    Done.

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    47,733
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    And you need to rewrite anyway - the appropriate text for a paper is not the appropriate text for a poster.
    Again, maybe things in chemistry are different than they are in physics and cosmology, but in chemistry, a poster is not supposed to be just your paper typed out and posted to a poster board. The format of a poster is more like a PowerPoint presentation than a paper. At a chemistry meeting, if you just have a bunch of typed pages posted, no one is going to stop and read them. A poster is much more a visual presentation than an oral or written one.

    A couple of seconds of googling will find lots of suggestions about poster presentations; I suggest you seek them out.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    A couple of seconds of googling will find lots of suggestions about poster presentations; I suggest you seek them out.
    Thanks I will!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    12,952
    I’d also point out that you can’t overcome the problem of plagiarism by rewording. It has to have new findings or ideas that are not in the earlier paper. I think the best thing you can do is unpublished it but be honest about it and tell editors that you put it on your website before due to not knowing because you lacked academic training.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I’d also point out that you can’t overcome the problem of plagiarism by rewording. It has to have new findings or ideas that are not in the earlier paper. I think the best thing you can do is unpublished it but be honest about it and tell editors that you put it on your website before due to not knowing because you lacked academic training.
    They know I am not a doctor but a CTO nonetheless, according to my signature.

    They said I'll have to reword the text and cite an earlier version of my own paper. Like I said I can't unpublish my work because it's all over the place, already cited by other papers and the web is archived anyways.

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    They said I'll have to reword the text and cite an earlier version of my own paper.
    (Rewording is not bad after all because it needed a lot of improvements).

  22. #172
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    14,765
    Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    (Rewording is not bad after all because it needed a lot of improvements).
    I think that already was the consensus here for a long, long time
    ____________
    "Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side." -- Frank Zappa
    "Your right to hold an opinion is not being contested. Your expectation that it be taken seriously is." -- Jason Thompson
    "This is really very simple, but unfortunately it's very complicated." -- publius

    Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    I think that already was the consensus here for a long, long time
    Reality Check made that point but now you know I'll never be able to write a novel.

  24. #174
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    14,765
    Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    Reality Check made that point but now you know I'll never be able to write a novel.
    It was just a joke, Philippe, just a joke. No worries.
    ____________
    "Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side." -- Frank Zappa
    "Your right to hold an opinion is not being contested. Your expectation that it be taken seriously is." -- Jason Thompson
    "This is really very simple, but unfortunately it's very complicated." -- publius

    Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    It was just a joke, Philippe, just a joke. No worries.
    Of course


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. #176
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,227
    Alright, my reworded manuscript is now camera-ready and it might be published online later.

    Question:

    If it is published online, am I eligible to post its link here on CQ since it'll be considered mainstream now (I am not looking for publicity because the World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology will publicise it, I am just looking to conclude my adventure here on CQ)?

    Thanks to CQ either way and I will contribute back as soon as possible like I promised!

  27. #177
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Peters Creek, Alaska
    Posts
    12,193
    Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    If it is published online, am I eligible to post its link here on CQ since it'll be considered mainstream now [...]
    I believe this has been explained to on previous occasions: simply having your paper published does not make it mainstream, so no, you will not be able to cite it as a mainstream reference.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.


    Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

  28. #178
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I believe this has been explained to on previous occasions: simply having your paper published does not make it mainstream, so no, you will not be able to cite it as a mainstream reference.
    Ok thanks for the clarification.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  29. #179
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,942
    Philippe, did you read up on WASET before you went to them? Other sources, not their website. You might want to have a quick google.

    http://min-eng.blogspot.com/2013/04/...just-scam.html
    https://www.researchgate.net/post/Wh...echnologyWASET
    https://wasetwatch.wordpress.com/

    There are more. Obviously it is up to you to read what each side says and decide what you think is most likely to actually be happening. I have no personal experience of the conference so I can't really say either way.

  30. #180
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    Philippe, did you read up on WASET before you went to them? Other sources, not their website. You might want to have a quick google.

    http://min-eng.blogspot.com/2013/04/...just-scam.html
    https://www.researchgate.net/post/Wh...echnologyWASET
    https://wasetwatch.wordpress.com/

    There are more. Obviously it is up to you to read what each side says and decide what you think is most likely to actually be happening. I have no personal experience of the conference so I can't really say either way.
    Oh dear. The other thing to do is to check that the conference venue actually exists. (Though this would appear to be a predatory conference rather than a complete scam.) Sometimes scam meetings show a photograph of a hotel or conference centre, but give a non-existent address, or an address that turns out to be in the middle of an industrial estate or a residential area when checked on Google Street View. More then one academic has been dumped by a taxi in the middle of nowhere while trying to attend a non-existent conference - and the proportion who are prepared to admit that fact is probably exceeded by an order of magnitude by those who just keep quiet about it.

    Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Jul-11 at 11:13 AM.
    Blog

    Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •