Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proof Finally (UFO discussion)

Proof Finally (UFO discussion)

Here's video proof, once and for all, that UFOs are, guess what? Unidentified.
    https://nypost.com/2018/03/10/footag...ary-personnel/

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Here's video proof, once and for all, that UFOs are, guess what? Unidentified.
    https://nypost.com/2018/03/10/footag...ary-personnel/
    I think it is funny that the article said "it stuns military personnel". I think they were more impressed over how well their equipment worked and the possibility that the operator might have done it by hand. He didn't and said he so. Again, another case of stating the correct thing over the shocking or impressive thing.
    Solfe

I wonder if the problem is interdepartmental... in that someone - maybe Skunkworks - has an amazing new drone that nobody else knows about.

I wish there was something here to talk about.

An object is caught on aircraft tracking moving at-speed. The pilots are pleased with their tracking prowess.

Is there anything else here?

Any indication of size or speed? Is there anything at all unusual about this bogey?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    I wish there was something here to talk about.

An object is caught on aircraft tracking moving at-speed. The pilots are pleased with their tracking prowess.

Is there anything else here?

Any indication of size or speed? Is there anything at all unusual about this bogey?
    Personally, I think its a bird. The object starts at range of 4.4 something... miles or kilometers. The camera indicates that it is pointing down -30 degrees. Speed and size? No idea, but slewing a camera -30 degrees in nearly any airplane is going to make everything look very fast. There is a indicator label V which ranges from mid-200s to 180. If that speed of closure, the plane might be turning or climbing. If that is the plane's speed, then it must not be a fighter, or at least a fighter doing what fighters generally do. Maybe they got bored while waiting to get directions or land.

It clearly says IR at the top, so everyone since the 1960s has 'em. Exactly what it would be is beyond me because the crew didn't seem to think it could track a moving target and most planes have IR to track moving targets. So, I don't. All I can think of is when pilots used maverick missiles as improvised IR. I suspect that doesn't track very well on high speed targets being that they are used on tanks and other ground targets.
    Solfe

Some say the government should really investigate more.... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-a8253221.html

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Personally, I think its a bird.
    Or a bird. Skunkworks drone or a bird. Either way, I think the To the Moon, Alice people are just using it to drum up some cash.

In any case, anyone talking about ufos will encounter the ridicule factor.

You already posted the March 9th opinion piece from the Washington Post. And that's what was referenced (solely) in the New York Post piece and the Independent piece. In other words, Christopher Mellon wrote an op-ed to drum up business for his company, and a couple of tabloids extensively quoted his piece to create some nice click-bait. There is only one source here.

It would be nice to have more info such as the estimated speed and size of the object. Would a jet's tracking system even be able lock onto an object as small as a bird? Pilot interviews would be helpful in answering some questions, like could they catch up to it, where did it go from there?, was it just one object? Just tossing out a video with excited voices in the background means little.

In any case, anyone talking about ufos will encounter the ridicule factor.
    Assuming this is ET, until the day comes when that "anyone" has a thoroughly tested and confirmed alien body part in their possession, then yes.

NARCAP seems to be a serious organization: (Unfortunately, the founder retired in 2017, since he was over 80 years old.) Haines was interested in airplane safety.

http://www.narcap.org/index.html

http://www.narcap.org/files/narcap_IR-8-2015.pdf

http://www.narcap.org/files/narcap_I..._Weinstein.pdf

The guys at Metabunk are doing quite a good job with this one; there are some error bars, but the object depicted in this video could be a large bird moving at (very roughly) 40mph; with a few parameter tweaks it could even be a balloon.
    https://www.metabunk.org/go-fast-foo...my-bird.t9569/

What galls me about this news item is that it is so misleading.

They make a big deal about the pilots oohing and aahing over the bogey. It's made out as if they are marvelling at the speed/maneuverability/whatever of this craft, and therefore that "these pilots - who are trained professionals - are wowed by its UFOness. It must be strange indeed!"

But there's really no indication at all that they think it's "UFO-grade" marvelous - as opposed to merely "unidentified-grade" marvelous.

Besides, I don't know what the big mystery is.

It is quite clearly a lone TIE fighter, separated from the fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    What galls me about this news item is that it is so misleading.

They make a big deal about the pilots oohing and aahing over the bogey. It's made out as if they are marvelling at the speed/maneuverability/whatever of this craft, and therefore that "these pilots - who are trained professionals - are wowed by its UFOness. It must be strange indeed!"

But there's really no indication at all that they think it's "UFO-grade" marvelous - as opposed to merely "unidentified-grade" marvelous.
    A couple of things to note- both this clip and the so-called GIMBAL clip were made at about the same time, in 2015; they may even have been filmed on the same sortie. That suggests to me that this is a training video of some sort, perhaps with pilots testing out the FLIR.

The so-called GOFAST clip (this one) seems obviously something quite small, located above the (much larger) waves on the sea; the apparent fast motion of the object is an illusion caused by the motion of the plane doing the filming - it is a parallax effect. The speed and size is consistent with a bird. Why can't these so-called analysts at the To The Stars Academy recognise this?
    Last edited by eburacum45; 2018-Mar-16 at 09:53 AM.

For $26.95, I will name this UFO after a person in a small notebook that will be kept in a fireproof box under my desk and next to my slippers for all of time.
    Solfe

For $26.95, I will name this UFO after a person in a small notebook that will be kept in a fireproof box under my desk and next to my slippers for all of time.
    Sounds legit to me.

But who wants to be shrunk down and kept inside a small notebook for all of time?

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    But who wants to be shrunk down and kept inside a small notebook for all of time?
    Shhhh... You've never see The Master from Dr. Who? He doesn't exactly ask.
    Solfe

Wait till you see one that you can't explain away. You nay sayers are rapidly becoming a minority... I had my sighting in the mid seventies....It was definitely technological and we STILL don't have anything that can even begin to do what IT did.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Hatch View Post
    Wait till you see one that you can't explain away.
    If it can't be explained then, by definition, it is an unidentified flying object (or UFO, as I believe they are called).

You nay sayers are rapidly becoming a minority...
    Citation needed.

I had my sighting in the mid seventies....It was definitely technological
    And you know this how?

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    If it can't be explained then, by definition, it is an unidentified flying object (or UFO, as I believe they are called.
    Actually, even that term is a little misleading, because they might actually be flying; they could be an optical illusion for example, and might not be an object, but just a reflection for example, or even a hallucination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Actually, even that term is a little misleading, because they might actually be flying; they could be an optical illusion for example, and might not be an object, but just a reflection for example, or even a hallucination.
    So just unidentified then. Sounds reasonable.

That's fine, I can wait.

But you have it backwards. It is never going to be about us explaining it away - ETIs visiting Earth is an extraordinary claim, and it is entirely up to the claimant to prove that. The ordinary explanations are the default, even if that explanation is "well... it looks kind of like a bird, but we can't be sure".

And I don't say that because it is a CQ rule - it is what I believe. I demand proof, whether it is of ETIs or Big Foot or whatever.

And if I personally ever see one, I'll let you know.

You nay sayers are rapidly becoming a minority
    A majority also believe in angels and ghosts.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Americans have paranormal beliefs: https://blogs.chapman.edu/wilkinson/...-america-2017/

"Explain away" is a loaded term, and makes assumptions about the motives of the explainer.
    I've seen a number of things I can't explain. I'd go so far as to suggest that everyone who is at all observant has seen things they can't explain - our kettle did something very odd the other night, for instance.
    From where I stand the expression "to explain away" is very much applicable to believers in the Extra-Terrestrial Hypothesis, who explain away all sorts of interesting phenomena as if they actually understand their origin. A phrase like "definitely technological" is a prime example of that sort of behaviour.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    I have no doubt about such results.

I would be curious as to how it compares to Europe and the rest of the world. I'm suspect it is very similar.

I found this article about Sweden
    According to a new survey, the number of Swedes polled who believe in ghosts has increased from 12 to 16 percent since 2008. The research was carried out by the Demoskop polling firm for The Swedish Sceptics' Association (Föreningen vetenskap och folkbildning), a not-for-profit organization designed to raise the public’s awareness of scientific methods and results.

Meanwhile 37 percent people asked for the study said that they believed in “paranormal phenomena” that could not be explained by science, up from 33 percent seven years ago.
    And this about Brits
    The study, carried out to discover how many people believed in "paranormal activity" and would pay to see a clairvoyant, found a whopping 82 per cent of Britons believe in the supernatural.

More than two thirds (68 per cent) said they had experienced some sort of supernatural event - and more than half (56 per cent) said they had been given a sign that a deceased loved one is present.
    Last edited by Swift; 2018-May-01 at 06:43 PM. Reason: addtion
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I'd go so far as to suggest that everyone who is at all observant has seen things they can't explain - our kettle did something very odd the other night, for instance.
    Indeed. That could make an interesting thread (for people interested in that sort of thing). I have one!