Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW MEMBER? Introduce yourself in this thread. (Continued)

Right on Spacedude, I appreciate the shout out.

Hello, I just joined tonight.

I'm 48 years old (male, if that makes any difference), and I'm not a professional scientist, but I'm serious about the exploration of cosmological ideas. In all my years of K-12 school, the Astronomy unit in the first six weeks of Earth Science was my favorite, by far. For the science fair going on that year, my science project was crude and simple. I just got a large-but-shallow cardboard box, lined it with aluminum foil with the more reflective side facing in. I painted the outside black and poked random holes in the box with a needle. Then I hung a red light bulb behind the center of the holes and I put a fluorescent lamp inside to light up the other holes. It was just a model of a galaxy. It was unrefined enough to be a universe, I suppose. There were no spiral arms. It was an expansion on the constellation boxes we all built for homework. In that, we had to get a shoe box and cut a square in one end, then poke a viewing hole in the other end. Then we'd get a map of constellations and some black squares of construction paper small enough to slide into the square in the other end. Then we'd put the constellation map down with the construction paper under it, then cardboard under that. We'd poke holes through each star on the map, which punctured the construction paper. Slide the construction paper down into the constellation box's square, then hold the box up to a bright light, look through the viewing hole, and you'd see a very nice, isolated constellation! I loved that thing. I sit here now and I want to make another one.

I have had some college in the pursuit of a career degree (not academic) in graphic design and computer animation. The college did require completion of some academic courses: Algebra, Critical Thinking, Humanities, Psychology, and Sociology. Since I was already a graphic design hobbyist, I was able to obtain and maintain a 4.0 grade-point average until I dropped out for personal reasons. Scores for the five academic courses were 95 to 102. Scores could be higher than 100 if you completed some extra credit projects.

I've always been passionately fascinated by the universe. As time has passed, my main interest now is in the remaining mysteries. Where science still has mysteries, I still have great interest. I do have a post in mind for the Against the Mainstream, a forum which was suggested by someone in another forum. That's how I learned of this forum.

In my time away from work, I enjoy digital music production as a hobby which might hopefully earn some extra money someday.

yea

Hi all, just joined today. Saw this on a Reddit thread. I'm from the US, I like space, and enjoy talking about it. I'm also into graphic design, exploring, gym-ing, dancing, and eating Skittles (my fav).

I'm still pretty young - 22 and an undergraduate studying Astronomy and Physics (with a minor in stats). Hopefully I'll grind my way into grad school soon... I'm also writing a paper as we speak! It's been in the works for a few months now and I'm steadily approaching having it make some rounds with all of the authors. Then it's onto publication, which I've been dreaming about for atleast the last year.

Either way, I hope to learn a lot on this forum and meet some great people. :-)

Hi All
    I ponder on the nature of the world. And so always have questions on my mind, and prospective answers and reasonings which do need checking by others. Every time I ask a dumb question, perhaps I'll learn something

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Smith View Post
    Howdy, Ed Smith here. I live retired comfortably in a Lakeside community nestled in NE Texas with 2 dogs a cat and a healthy broadband connection. I am a happy grandfather, father, son, lover, biker and an amateur Slooh Astronomer. I've held a quiet love of the cosmos since childhood. I got hooked studying for Boy Scout Merit Badges in Astronomy and have never let it go. Having spent a large portion of my life in the Pacific northwest and Montana Rockies. I have had countless horseback trips into the mountains to find the purest night skies beckon me to glass them every clear night, and I never missed a night. A saddle for a pillow I could hold binoculars steady and in place for hours using the horn for an arm rest. While I only possessed less than a layman's knowledge of the night sky, I never let that stop me from dedicating sometimes entire pack trips into the back-country for just that purpose.
    While never a politically centered as young man, I did find myself pushing, and I mean really pushing, the Hubble Project to all of my young and partying friends of the early 80's. "FOR THE PRICE OF DINNER AND A MOVIE" was the mantra of the day. I was labeled a freak, but it never bothered me. Now at 61, I have garnered a half of a lifetime following the Great Observatories for well over 20 years now. Still, I will ride my Road King, with my trusty Binoculars well away from the spoiled night sky. If I can't do that, I have Slooh on every clear night "high" in the Canary Islands and/or central Chile.

Yea-up, "freak" sum's it up well.

Keep Looking Up, Ed Smith.
    Awesome Ed, wonderful to have curiosity and passions isnt it

Quote Originally Posted by Presocratics View Post
    Hi All
    I ponder on the nature of the world. And so always have questions on my mind, and prospective answers and reasonings which do need checking by others. Every time I ask a dumb question, perhaps I'll learn something
    Welcome to CQ Presocratics
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Thank you Swift
    It took a few days for my post to go up, awaiting moderator approval. How do I move past this membership status please?

Quote Originally Posted by Presocratics View Post
    Thank you Swift
    It took a few days for my post to go up, awaiting moderator approval. How do I move past this membership status please?
    Keep posting. Once you get to a certain, low number of posts, your posts will no longer have to go through the "Moderation queue" (part of our anti-spam measures). I could tell you the magic number, but then that would give away the secret. When your title goes from "Newbie" to "Member", you're there.

Sorry about the delay; moderator coverage can get a little thin on weekends.

Hello newbie here

Hello everyone, my name is Josh and i come from Australia. Happy to know new people.

Hi Narvir1973, welcome to CQ

Hi, Narvir, welcome to the forum!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Welcome Narvir1973.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Welcome, Narvir1973. I've merged your introduction thread into the general introduction thread.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Hi folks,

I've been here some years back but thought it polite to reintroduce myself and tell some about my current reason for revisiting:

Being an SF writer, there's this planet I'm working on and I want to have its characteristics as realistic as possible. From the posts I'll be sending it will be obvious the planet is an extreme place and I hope you guys can help me get that puzzle together...

Hi gufghur; welcome back

Hi, gufghur and welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by patelpb View Post
    I'm.... an undergraduate studying Astronomy and Physics (with a minor in stats). Hopefully I'll grind my way into grad school soon...
    Not sure how you got missed, but welcome to the boards, patelpb! Sounds like a great academic plan!

Quote Originally Posted by patelpb View Post
    I'm also writing a paper as we speak! It's been in the works for a few months now and I'm steadily approaching having it make some rounds with all of the authors. Then it's onto publication, which I've been dreaming about for atleast the last year.
    Impressive! Best of luck with your paper!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.