Thread: Magnet panels.

Magnet panels.

This is something I started last year. a small ring magnet glued to a small plastic offcut and placed on my windowsill with nylon cord stopping it falling off. After a few months now it has black markings showing up eight poles. Is this extraterrestrial iron. Or more likely pollution from motor vehicles. I do not have an electron microscope or other fancy things to investigate. So I wonder if groups studying pollution have deployed such things and what they think about the origin. And I wonder if anyone else here have tried similar investigations. It is so easy to get going!

It is metallic airborne pollutants.

Much of the Earth is made of iron and nickel. The iron is found in the crust in the form of basalt, which is also magnetic.

There is no reason to suspect extraterrestrial origin, any more than would be found in typical soil.

I once ran a large magnet through a gravel driveway and found a number of tiny bits adhering to it. These look like ordinary bits of rock, but they're obviously fairly high in iron content. I was surprised at the substantial number of these, since I live in a part of the U.S. not known to contain much iron ore. Most of these particles were too large to have been airborne.

You mention that it was a gravel driveway. Which means that material was put there when the driveway was laid.

Thinking further about possibilities I wonder if there are many meteorites around the size of a pea and less. Never to be recognised. I beleive many have some iron in their makeup so strong magnets could collect them. So find an area that is just short vegitation and unvisited by people. A magnet panel between a pair of wheels can be pushed over the ground. Some old defunct getto blasters will have speakers with good magnets. This would be a good use for the things making up for the time they gave out modern pop. Curmugeon is the word you are looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by peteshimmon View Post
    Some old defunct getto blasters will have speakers with good magnets. This would be a good use for the things making up for the time they gave out modern pop. Curmugeon is the word you are looking for!
    Cast-off hard drives are a great source of good-sized, extremely powerful neodymium magnets. You can demonstrate NMR quite easily with those magnets and quite simple apparatus.

Quote Originally Posted by peteshimmon View Post
    So find an area that is just short vegitation and unvisited by people.
    I think you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find an area that has been untouched by human contact long enough to get any kind of signal-noise ratio of metallic artifacts.

It wouldn't be impossible, but you'd have to go a fair ways from civilization.