Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If I had time machine...

If I had time machine...

What would you do, me I would go back to grade 12 and go into being an electrician and eventually move into my grandfathers log cabin, never get on the internet and become a hermit and be happy.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Wouldn't you have to dispose of your Grade 12 self somehow? And wouldn't people notice that you were too old for Grade 12? Seems like it could cause more problems than it would solve.

If I had a time machine I would destroy it and never tell anyone.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    For all we know, you had one and you destroyed it already.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I'd go back and eat the primordial soup. Mmmm.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Thanks for the responses I was feeling a little low this morning feeling better now.

I would go home, sleep for as long as I wanted, and then wake up, get dressed and such, and come back to now to do my work.

I would just go watch some historical events, trying as hard as possible not kill my own grandparents. Or be my own grandparent, come to that.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Or step on any butterflies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    For all we know, you had one and you destroyed it already.
    For all you know, I've had several. Who knew the Chronology Protection Conjecture could turn out to be such hard work?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

3 words.

Grey's Sports Almanac.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I would just go watch some historical events, trying as hard as possible not kill my own grandparents. Or be my own grandparent, come to that.
    Let me get this straight. You'd go back 50 years or so, go into a bar and pick up your own grandmother, take her home and do the nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Let me get this straight. You'd go back 50 years or so, go into a bar and pick up your own grandmother, take her home and do the nasty.
    I think the second sentence links to "trying as hard as possible not [to]" in the first sentence. Unless Trebuchet is channelling his inner Heinlein.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

For all you know, I've had several. Who knew the Chronology Protection Conjecture could turn out to be such hard work?

Grant Hutchison
    Each time you destroy one they send you two more ...

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Each time you destroy one they send you two more ...
    Like Windows 10 upgrade offers used to be.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I was wondering, does a time machine come with a 2 year warranty, and how do they enforce it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I was wondering, does a time machine come with a 2 year warranty, and how do they enforce it?
    Maybe it comes with a -2 year warranty.

I think the second sentence links to "trying as hard as possible not [to]" in the first sentence. Unless Trebuchet is channelling his inner Heinlein.

Grant Hutchison
    I did indeed have Lazarus Long in mind when I wrote that. And he knew who she was!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Grant Hutchison

If he was doing that, he would have had a sex change along the line, so he'd be his own grandmother.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

I did indeed have Lazarus Long in mind when I wrote that. And he knew who she was!
    Yeah. Heinlein at his most eeew-inspiring.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I thought you were channeling your inner Philip J. Fry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Yeah. Heinlein at his most eeew-inspiring.

Grant Hutchison
    The kind of guy who would publicly name himself by such a pr0n-star pseudonym is bound to have more issues than Time Magazine anyway.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I buy stacks of foreign language records and give them to my 3 year old self, along with dozens of needles for the player. Italian to English would be the first set, but I'd also hit French and Spanish. I figure he has the brainpower and plasticity to make several languages stick. I'd also delivery tons of paint, models, figurines and paint brushes. These wouldn't be new purchases, but things I have sitting in the basement with no time to complete. I'd give him a telescope and good book on backyard astronomy. I would ask him to pay more attention the 1986 Halley's Comet. I would also deliver a bunch of VHS tapes, so he wouldn't miss the first three episodes of Cosmos, like I did in real life.

I would teach him the difference between "sweetheart" and "associate" in sign language. That will be important at age 12.

I'd also explain that teaching is wonderful profession, way better than computers. I'd warn him that computers are not alive, like the movie "Wargames". I brace him for the end of Battlestar Galactica and not to bother with Battlestar Galactica 1980, except the last episode. I'd mention the time spent watching Golden Girls with grandma is time well spent.

I'd explain schizophrenia so he is ready to deal with mom. I'd provide him with a nice retro-70's camping backpack, large enough to fit all of the aforementioned things inside. I advise him that suddenly having to leave one family member's house for another is not his fault, is not the default lifestyle and just because you don't know where you'll sleep does not mean you are homeless or unloved. I would tell him that any bed is good, and that one should not fear sleeping in them just because you might be in a different one tomorrow.
    Solfe

Not “All you zombies?”

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Maybe you need to do this to exist in the first place

Wouldn't you have to dispose of your Grade 12 self somehow? And wouldn't people notice that you were too old for Grade 12? Seems like it could cause more problems than it would solve.

Grant Hutchison
    That's just selfish... or maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    What would you do, me I would go back to grade 12 and go into being an electrician and eventually move into my grandfathers log cabin, never get on the internet and become a hermit and be happy.
    Being an electrician is not as glamorous as you might think, it can be hard, dirty graft at times. No internet and being a hermit often appeals to me. I prefer my own company most of the time so can empathize with you on that.

If I had a time machine my first choice would be to go back with the winning lottery numbers and buy a few jackpot tickets. I'm not a greedy person but i'd like to be able to not worry about money and I'd like be wealthy enough to take care of my family and friends.
    After that i'd love to go back to periods in history to witness from the dinosaur era right through to the second world war.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    Being an electrician is not as glamorous as you might think, it can be hard, dirty graft at times. No internet and being a hermit often appeals to me. I prefer my own company most of the time so can empathize with you on that.

If I had a time machine my first choice would be to go back with the winning lottery numbers and buy a few jackpot tickets. I'm not a greedy person but i'd like to be able to not worry about money and I'd like be wealthy enough to take care of my family and friends.
    After that i'd love to go back to periods in history to witness from the dinosaur era right through to the second world war.
    When i was high school I took a course that included electronic circuits and I did well in the course. A certain member of the family thought this would be a good career choice but nobody gets there vcrs repaired anymore, plus there is probably plenty of paperwork on warranty jobs if it like small engine stuff. There was a small engine shop that closed down because the wife didn't like her husband spending all night doing paperwork. About being a hermit I never really feel comfortable around people, I feel more comfortable around computers, electronics, or plants.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Apr-21 at 01:59 PM.

If I had a time machine what would I do? Well I'm not that interested in going back to make myself rich or to undo anything in my life that I may have regretted. I'd probably use it to get some answers to some of life's weirdest mysteries, like going back to witness the top 10 unsolved ufo sightings to decide for myself if the original witnesses were mistaken, lying, delusional, or if they really did see something from out of this world. Then I would return back to this forum and put this matter to rest ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    If I had a time machine what would I do? Well I'm not that interested in going back to make myself rich or to undo anything in my life that I may have regretted. I'd probably use it to get some answers to some of life's weirdest mysteries, like going back to witness the top 10 unsolved ufo sightings to decide for myself if the original witnesses were mistaken, lying, delusional, or if they really did see something from out of this world. Then I would return back to this forum and put this matter to rest ;-)
    The danger is that your time machine would turn out be responsible for the sightings.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

The danger is that your time machine would turn out be responsible for the sightings.

Grant Hutchison
    Sounds like a causality loop problem to me.