Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: If I had time machine...

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    In the 3b class, time travel where you can witness but not change events is full of frustrations as well as plenty of interest because if one could do that, it is certain that the experience would change attitudes and decisions in the present. If that is correct, then greater knowledge of history would inform current events without the need for time travel. Oops, wiser people may have reached that conclusion already.

Headmaster finds prodigy tinkering with her time machine after hours. "it's one thing for you to mess with your ancestors but suppose everyone wants to do that!" She replies "You'll be sorry, I happen to know that"
    (my bold) well is life not already like that anyhow? If I suddenly decided to do some history research and found some information that influences my present/future decisions is it a good or bad thing? I guess it all depends on what information is available.

For example, lets say a friend of mine is killed by a hit and run. The police have not yet identified the driver and may never do. I decide to go back and observe the event and identify the driver. On return in sheer anger I decide to take it upon myself to seek revenge for my friends death and in a moment of pure madness kill the person. I get sent to jail for murder...

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    (my bold) well is life not already like that anyhow? If I suddenly decided to do some history research and found some information that influences my present/future decisions is it a good or bad thing? I guess it all depends on what information is available.

For example, lets say a friend of mine is killed by a hit and run. The police have not yet identified the driver and may never do. I decide to go back and observe the event and identify the driver. On return in sheer anger I decide to take it upon myself to seek revenge for my friends death and in a moment of pure madness kill the person. I get sent to jail for murder...
    But that is not a 3b type in Grant's definition, which i was extending to support the study of history.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    I totally agree with all your points above.

Unfortunately, like most films & tv shows the writers tend to ignore the real science to keep the general viewers entertained.
    I wouldn’t say that’s unfortunate. The purpose is to entertain viewers, not to teach science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I wouldn’t say that’s unfortunate. The purpose is to entertain viewers, not to teach science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well I guess that depends on your point of view and what type of film/tv show it is.

5. 2018-May-03, 10:12 AM