Thread: Guy McPherson: H. sapiens extinct in 10 years

Guy McPherson: H. sapiens extinct in 10 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqIt93dDG1M
    Is this guy's declarations good work or bad?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqIt93dDG1M
    Is this guy's declarations good work or bad?
    Care to tell us what he says? I have a short attention span and low irritation threshold, so I don't click on YouTube links.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    Andrew Revkin in The New York Times said McPherson was an "apocalyptic ecologist ... who has built something of an 'End of Days' following".[11] Michael Tobis, a climate scientist from the University of Wisconsin, said McPherson was out of his depth....
    McPherson's idea about "near term extinction" seems a bit extreme to me.....

Professor Emeritus means he's retired from the university, AFAIK....
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Many retired people think that the end is near ;-)

Since Cougar didn't link to the actual Wikipedia article, here it is. And here is an article from another wiki with a less neutral point of view. Both, interestingly, include this quote from climate scientist Michael Tobis:
    McPherson is not the opposite of a denialist. He is a denialist, albeit of a different stripe.
    He's only 58 years old. How do you get to be an emeritus professor at that age? Probably as a means of your university getting you off the active faculty when you have tenure.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Oh. I knew the name was familiar. He also predicted the End of the World in 2008.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

It's about time for this song.
    https://youtu.be/F-5oGnvfUEU
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Oh. I knew the name was familiar. He also predicted the End of the World in 2008.

Grant Hutchison
    He also predicted the collapse of the US trucking industry in 2012, also due to peak oil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    It's about time for this song.
    https://youtu.be/F-5oGnvfUEU
    Or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH5USLpPa_0

"You're gonna take, a walk in the rain, and you're gonna get wet. I predict."
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

This is not an appropriate topic for BABBling. Since McPherson advocates a cover-up of "the truth" (among other things) this is moved to CT.

Tom Mazanec - if you even hint at supporting these ideas, the full responsibility of defending them will fall upon you.

Now, let's drop the joke posts.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Since Cougar didn't link to the actual Wikipedia article, here it is. And here is an article from another wiki with a less neutral point of view.
    And here is a post from a blog called Fractal Planet (from a geoscience educator and geologist) with a detailed review of his claims.

So let’s briefly lay out the central claims of McPherson’s position, and review what the science really says. I think those are 1) positive feedbacks imply runaway global warming, 2) we will experience at least 3 to 4 degrees C warming in the next couple decades, and 3) on a 4C warmer planet, humans are dead.

If this report is correct, that younger & younger patients are appearing with serious diseases, then homo sapiens lifespan's may have peaked and insurance actuaries will soon start noticing a decline in the average length of life. Whether these diseases and falling sperm counts and birth rates are being caused by vaccinations, HFCS, GMOs, plastics, 5G, pesticides etc etc, could mankind very gradually become extinct through toxicity even whilst in the midst of overweight plenty?
    Last edited by wd40; 2018-Apr-23 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
    If this report is correct, that younger & younger patients are appearing with serious diseases, then homo sapiens lifespan's may have peaked and insurance actuaries will soon start noticing a decline in the average length of life. Whether these diseases and falling sperm counts and birth rates are being caused by vaccinations, HFCS, GMOs, plastics, 5G, pesticides etc etc, could mankind very gradually become extinct through toxicity even whilst in the midst of overweight plenty?
    Iím not sure what youíre talking about. The article specifically mentioned diseases related to obesity, like diabetes. It doesnít mean they canít have children, just that they have to take lots of medicine and might get heart attacks, but again that wonít stop them from having children. I think the falling birth rate is much more of an economic issue. Many people in my generation deliberately chose to have one or two children because of educational costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
    wd40

This story has nothing to do with McPherson’s ideas about climate change. If you wish to explore other doomsday ideas, start your own threads about them. This will earn you an infraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    ....He's only 58 years old. How do you get to be an emeritus professor at that age? Probably as a means of your university getting you off the active faculty when you have tenure.
    More likely a very good early retirement package, to which emeritus professorship might be an additional benefit.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

I didn't know this was better in conspiracy, sorry.
    I don't think he is right, I just wonder if you think such declarations are doing any good or bad.
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    I didn't know this was better in conspiracy, sorry.
    I don't think he is right, I just wonder if you think such declarations are doing any good or bad.
    Good? Difficult to see what sort of good could come of it.
    Bad? Certainly, in a limited way, since a browse around the conspirasphere shows that he has attracted the usual crowd of sad, anxious and deranged folk, who would be better off seeing a counsellor or doctor.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Also potentially bad because it could be seized on by climate change deniers as an example of the extreme views of "climatologists".

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Good? Difficult to see what sort of good could come of it.
    Bad? Certainly, in a limited way, since a browse around the conspirasphere shows that he has attracted the usual crowd of sad, anxious and deranged folk, who would be better off seeing a counsellor or doctor.

Grant Hutchison
    As with other conspiracy-mongers, it's probably been good for his bank account. Ever notice how guys who are predicting the imminent end of the world are always still happy to have you send them money?

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Also potentially bad because it could be seized on by climate change deniers as an example of the extreme views of "climatologists".
    Big double plus yes. It is exactly the type of stuff that climate change deniers will latch on to.

And, as some of the linked rebuttals state, he is using the same "methods" as the deniers (such as cherry picking data) so that in a sense it justifies the methods of the deniers. He is also spreading the falsehoods that the "government" (or the UN) is lying to us, so people will just doubt more.

Lastly, there are still many things humans can do to at least make climate change less bad (even if we can't prevent it completely at this point). He is basically saying that is all waste of time, and so it will discourage people from working to do something.

I cannot express in CQ-acceptable language how angry people like Mr. McPherson make me.