Thread: Loihi island or Loihi peninsula

Loihi island or Loihi peninsula

Looking at a map on https://geology.com/usgs/loihi-seamount/ Loihi is awfully close to the Big Island.
    When (if) it rises above the surface, could it connect to the Big Island and not be separate? Kind of like how Mauna Loa joined to Mauna Kea?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Short answer is yes, it might.

Lots of islands are only marginally islands anyhow. Just yesterday I drove from Hadlock, WA; to Indian Island, and on to Marrowstone Island. The first step required a bridge, but only because someone 100 years ago dug a canal across the marshy tidal neck between the mainland and Indian Island. The second step did not, but only because someone dumped enough dirt to create a bit of causeway across another such marshy tidal neck. Were either of them really islands originally? It depended on the time of day.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

There are lots of tidal islands that are islands at high tide but peninsulas at low tide, like Mont Saint Michel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

And it will be quite a while before Loihi breaks the surface, so I guess it will be up to our distant descendants to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    And it will be quite a while before Loihi breaks the surface, so I guess it will be up to our distant descendants to judge.
    Maybe the question should be Loihi island or Loihi peninsula or Loihi seamount?

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Maybe the question should be Loihi island or Loihi peninsula or Loihi seamount?
    The OP did say 'if' it rises above the surface, acknowledging that Loihi may remain a seamount.