Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Some Apollo-Orion graphics that might be useful

When Bob was helping me I noticed some differences, and Bob in his wit,
    1. After all it is only a spreadsheet and
    2. The effects of the moon's gravity haven't been taken into the calculations.
    He probably didn't take them into his calculations either, but that is only my speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    When Bob was helping me I noticed some differences, and Bob in his wit,
    1. After all it is only a spreadsheet and
    2. The effects of the moon's gravity haven't been taken into the calculations.
    He probably didn't take them into his calculations either, but that is only my speculation.
    Yes, he used a two-body approach for his orbit, which is fine for the trajectory of the departure orbit, as long as you don't take it too seriously out by the moon. I did the same thing, which is why he and I have such a good match.
    But I'm pretty sure what I'm seeing is just a coordinate/time conversion thing. I set TLI as epoch, so at epoch it should be right over the correct geographical coordinates, even if it strayed elsewhere. At present I'm thinking it's the time conversion between Apollo GMT, local sidereal time and Celestia's internal time - small errors can produce quite noticeable differences when stuff is as close and fast as Apollo was relative to the Earth at TLI. I just need to let the problem float around my head for a few hours before I starting "fixing" it.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

OK, fixed it. I need to add Delta T to the Apollo GMT times to get them to work properly in Celestia. While Celestia presents a UTC interface, it actually needs to be fed TDB internally. Usually that makes no discernable difference, but in this instance it was skewing the geographical TLI position quite noticeably.
    Important to point out that this makes no difference to the orientation of Braeunig's Apollo 11 orbit, as used for radiation calculations. Rather, the orbital position was erroneously advanced by about 40 seconds within Celestia (until I fixed my epochs).

I'm going to go ahead and model all the Apollo TLIs - there's some interesting stuff to look at, I think. If anything relevant to the conspiracy narrative turns up I'll post again here. Otherwise, I might just post a summary in a new thread in Space Exploration.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Grant Hutchinson, I am asking for a friend. After plotting the transit of Apollo 11 on Celestial can you definitively say that the TLI inclination changed during the VAB transit? If so by how much and at what point?

Quote Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
    Grant Hutchinson, I am asking for a friend. After plotting the transit of Apollo 11 on Celestial can you definitively say that the TLI inclination changed during the VAB transit? If so by how much and at what point?

That was sniffed out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    That was sniffed out quickly.
    ...and as always, commenting on moderation or the rule-breaking conduct of other members is not allowed.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    ...and as always, commenting on moderation or the rule-breaking conduct of other members is not allowed.
    I apologize, as I never meant the statement as negative but rather complementing the good job the mods do.