Thread: Life in red dwarf solar systems

Life in red dwarf solar systems

Where will it be?

there are a lot of variables in determining that. First of what to call life and what kind of life. Are you talking about intelligent life or simple virus' and bacteria, or something in between, For red dwarf stars for life as we know we need liquid water along with vapor and ice. So the planet has to be fairly close to star which might expose to solar flares and high radiation levels. The solar flares more likely will die down over time and the high radiation might will probably help with causing mutations good and bad for evolution. Trappist-1 has three planets in the habitable zone but there might be too much water will cover the surface of the planets and there won't be land for land animals and plants to form. There might be a lot of life in the sea but the might not be more than fish and other sea creatures. And for planets that do have intelligent life it take more fuel to launch anything form the surface, so no Teslas in space for them.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I there a lot variables and life and the precursors of life keeps showing up all over the place in space so there really isn't any real clear cut answer. Not until we land probes on all these worlds.

As long as Lister cuts down on the Curry it should be OK.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

I've moved this thread from OTB to LIS
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

There is a wikipedia article on the habitability of red dwarf systems that covers some of the complexity
    The habitability of red dwarf systems is determined by a large number of factors from a variety of sources. Although the low stellar flux, high probability of tidal locking, small circumstellar habitable zones, and high stellar variation experienced by planets of red dwarf stars are impediments to their planetary habitability, the ubiquity and longevity of red dwarfs are positive factors. Determining how the interactions between these factors affect habitability may help to reveal the frequency of extraterrestrial life and intelligence.
    Universe Today has covered the topic.
    Ever since scientists confirmed the existence of seven terrestrial planets orbiting TRAPPIST-1, this system has been a focal point of interest for astronomers. Given its proximity to Earth (just 39.5 light-years light-years away), and the fact that three of its planets orbit within the star’s “Goldilocks Zone“, this system has been an ideal location for learning more about the potential habitability of red dwarf stars systems.

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    As long as Lister cuts down on the Curry it should be OK.
    Is that before after the gazpacho soup incident.

Always remember gazpacho soup is served cold.
    https://youtu.be/511VL3VEvQM

I assume alromario was serious with their question. Let's drop the funny posts.

Quote Originally Posted by alromario View Post
    Where will it be?
    Well, the planets to have liquid water will have to be quite close to the red dwarf. This means they will likely be tidally locked, and be exposed to very powerful solar wind and UV radiation flux. Their magnetic fields will also be connected to the close sun, so provide no protection, so their atmospheres, and water, will be soon stripped away. Basically, they may not be great places for life.

Thanks for the answers..I posted this in the anything goes section as I didn’t have a proper question...the red dwarf stars can be so old and so numerous I was compelled to query...old life may reside there I thought.

...and the molten iron core may help the fish..

Sorry for my digression ��

Maybe should have kept this in the OTB ��

I wonder do the beings around red dwarfs have very different life constraints/pressures day to day, and what they are.

OTB! ������

Tidally locked watery planets would create interesting pressures, or would they?

Quote Originally Posted by transreality View Post
    Well, the planets to have liquid water will have to be quite close to the red dwarf. This means they will likely be tidally locked, and be exposed to very powerful solar wind and UV radiation flux. Their magnetic fields will also be connected to the close sun, so provide no protection, so their atmospheres, and water, will be soon stripped away. Basically, they may not be great places for life.
    Thatís probably it. Is life a type of von Neumann probe? Are we a happy accident? Is it a hologram? Is conciousness connected to the universe?

I reckon itís mostly barren out there, a lot of stars.
    Last edited by alromario; 2018-May-09 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Spelling correction, changed Van to Von. I hope thatís correct.

Quote Originally Posted by alromario View Post

I reckon itís mostly barren out there, a lot of stars.
    'I have seen the dark universe yawning,
    Where the black planets roll without aim;
    Where they roll in their horror unheeded, without knowledge or lustre or name'
    Lovecraft: nemesis