Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trebuchet's new house.

Trebuchet's new house.

I've mentioned this a couple of times, so I guess I should start a thread. If I'm boring you, let me know.

First, the history: 21 years ago we were driving around on the Olympic peninsula looking for where a distant cousin of my wife lived. Near the water, with a great view. I finally said "You know, we should get a place like this for when we are old." She had been thinking the same thing.

Within a few months, we had bought a second home near Port Townsend, WA. We were already familiar with it since we'd had a timeshare in the area, shared with my parents, for a while. It was two lots combined into one, with the house at the top of the lower one and an orchard on the upper. Before we even bought it the plan was to eventually build on the upper one. It's taken more than 20 years but that is finally happening.

Pics:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoogleEarth.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	23295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoogleEarth2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	23296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Site2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	23297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Site1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	23298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewGarage.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	23299

You may just be able to figure out why we are here.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

It's funny--I was actually living on the Peninsula 21 years ago, in Port Angeles. You started spending time there right about the time my daughter was born and moved there!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I know that I have commented before how lovely your outlook is but it bears repeating - they are some great views. However, I do wonder about damaging winds if a westerly(?) is blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I know that I have commented before how lovely your outlook is but it bears repeating - they are some great views. However, I do wonder about damaging winds if a westerly(?) is blowing.
    Looking down the Strait of Juan De Fuca there the next significant land is Taiwan!
    So yes, it gets windy, but not really all that bad or damaging. No hurricanes or tornadoes in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Looking down the Strait of Juan De Fuca there the next significant land is Taiwan!
    So yes, it gets windy, but not really all that bad or damaging. No hurricanes or tornadoes in the region.
    Aah I see - thanks. Looking at the area now on google maps it again looks like a great, if too cold for me, place to build a dream house.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Aah I see - thanks. Looking at the area now on google maps it again looks like a great, if too cold for me, place to build a dream house.
    For us, about 20C/68F is as warm as we ever like it. I hooked up two room air conditioners in the last week. The new place will have central AC.

For us, about 20C/68F is as warm as we ever like it. I hooked up two room air conditioners in the last week. The new place will have central AC.
    It just shows how people do get acclimatised. Because our temperatures are getting down below 18C in the early evenings we have begun to put on the gas heater.

I moved here for the weather, so it's not about acclimation for all of us.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Work begins!

Name:	Digger.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	23300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dug2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	23301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greenhouse.jpg 
Size:	271.2 KB 
ID:	23302

And an empire of mud and boulders.

Name:	Boulders.jpg 
Size:	329.2 KB 
ID:	23304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Levels.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	23303

Exciting times, Trebuchet!

You've said before that you can see Victoria from your place. I did some snooping on Google Earth and realized I can "see" your place from where I walk along Dallas Road when I'm visiting there.

Dang, I've neglected the thread. Must get a few more pictures up this evening. Meanwhile, roof trusses have just arrived!

I trust you.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Ok, here you go! The foundation, about a month ago.

Name:	Foundation1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	23313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foundation2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	23314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foundation3.jpg 
Size:	258.4 KB 
ID:	23315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foundation4.jpg 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	23316

And a teaser:

Name:	truss2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	235.1 KB 
ID:	23317

Not being from the NW, what are the round white objects?

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Not being from the NW, what are the round white objects?
    Oh, thanks, I was going to explain that. Those are pads for the support of a couple of long beams supporting the floor joists. You'll probably see in the next batch of pics. The white is actually a simple plastic form they poured through concrete into.

....Near the water, with a great view. I finally said "You know, we should get a place like this for when we are old."
    Best of luck with your construction! Mrs. Cougar and I are thinking the same thing. We're looking around the Coeur d'Alene area. As a structural engineer, she likes building, but I'd just as soon get something already built!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Sounds sturdy for floor supports.
    Good luck on the rest.

Ah yes. Soil exhaustion. That current crop of house is struggling.

That west plot needs to remain fallow for at least a year before you can reseed it with house.

But you know, if you were to double your land size you could raise your house crop productivity to 75%.

You still only need one fallow plot in any given year, but you could grow three times the house crop.
    Last edited by DaveC426913; 2018-May-13 at 05:14 AM.

Looking good Trebuchet! I'd love to be working on that project! Keep the pictures coming don't miss any stage, its very interesting.

Good luck Trebuchet, we did something similar in the East Neuk of Fife, we were passing through, loved the area, bought a house and put a second storey on it to give us a better view of the sea. Living accommodation upstairs, bedrooms downstairs. Well worth it.

Oops, I've neglected the pics!

First, "pony walls" -- stub walls below the floor level so the concrete foundation doesn't have to be so small. With bonus backyard wildlife!

Name:	Pony and Birdie.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	23319

Next, some intermediate beams to support the floor joists, and a reminder of why we are here.

Name:	Today1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	23321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	today2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	23322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reminder.jpg 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	23323

And here we are less than two weeks ago. This was the day things really started moving fast!
    First they poured the garage floor and bit of foundation for the outdoor room:

Name:	Pouring Garage.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	23324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outdoor Room.jpg 
Size:	276.0 KB 
ID:	23325
    And did a whole bunch of floor joists!

Name:	Poured And Floor.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	23326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Access.jpg 
Size:	369.8 KB 
ID:	23327

Note that the joists are engineered I-beams with a web of OSB. I don't expect we'll see any plywood at all in the finished house.

I love these engineered floor systems. I'm guessing, because this is how it was done for the last house I had built, that the solution for spans, size of I-beam (or "truss-joist") and separation of them was all optimized to achieve the required strength at minimum cost. It looks like the beams under the joists are made of laminated veneer lumber (LVL).

And it looks like you've had good weather for the construction too.

Oops, I've neglected the pics!

First, "pony walls" -- stub walls below the floor level so the concrete foundation doesn't have to be so small. With bonus backyard wildlife!

Name:	Pony and Birdie.jpg 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	23319
    There is something wrong with that picture. What is that blue substance where the sky is supposed to be?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

On the Olympic Peninsula, no less!

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I love these engineered floor systems. I'm guessing, because this is how it was done for the last house I had built, that the solution for spans, size of I-beam (or "truss-joist") and separation of them was all optimized to achieve the required strength at minimum cost. It looks like the beams under the joists are made of laminated veneer lumber (LVL).

And it looks like you've had good weather for the construction too.
    I believe the beams are just solid wood. Unfortunately I can no longer see them! I'll look at the unshrunk pictures. Nearly all the material looks to be coming from your province.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    There is something wrong with that picture. What is that blue substance where the sky is supposed to be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    On the Olympic Peninsula, no less!
    Rain shadow! But really, the whole region's been really nice lately.

I believe the beams are just solid wood. Unfortunately I can no longer see them! I'll look at the unshrunk pictures. Nearly all the material looks to be coming from your province.
    They look like the flanges are strips of wood, and what the internet assures me is called the web is laminate. I've never seen them used in the UK, so I was going to ask about them. Here I have only seen solid wood joists and no-one has ever discussed an alternative with me. They will be much lighter than solid wood and probably less prone to distortion.

The closest I have seen is glulam beams for structural support, but only with rectangular cross sections, never as I-beams.

This comes with the caveat that I am no kind of engineer and am tight up against the limits of my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    They look like the flanges are strips of wood, and what the internet assures me is called the web is laminate. I've never seen them used in the UK, so I was going to ask about them. Here I have only seen solid wood joists and no-one has ever discussed an alternative with me. They will be much lighter than solid wood and probably less prone to distortion.

The closest I have seen is glulam beams for structural support, but only with rectangular cross sections, never as I-beams.

This comes with the caveat that I am no kind of engineer and am tight up against the limits of my knowledge.
    Those are the joists, the beams Torsten was asking about are the intermediate supports under them. The web is OSB, Oriented Strand Board, like all of the sheathing you'll see as this goes along.

I'll see if I can't get more up later today.

Yeah, we send a lot of wood south. But even where I live, it is common to find lumber from mills in other towns at the lumber yard, even though we have two major mills located here.

The reason I thought the beams are LVL is that in the fourth photo of post 21, I noticed a vertical line in the nearer beam, quite close to its left end, and suggestive of a different board. But the line doesn't continue over the top of the beam. Also, there is a large knot in the bottom of the centre of that left span, which doesn't appear on the opposite side as seen in the third image (admittedly, it's harder to tell because of the distance/scale). But that's the beauty of LVL - defects such as large knots that would weaken a large beam if located near the top or bottom do not extend through the whole width of the piece are not significant given that there are many other plies in the beam. And the whole beam is a more stable product than if it were a single piece of wood. When they first started to market those floor systems up here, one of the brands was named "Silent Floor System", because the components are so stable they resist warping and pulling on the nails that hold the subfloor sheets in place. Those pulled nails cause the squeak. Of course, it's now common to use glue as well as nails to prevent the squeaks.

Anyway, I am curious if I've interpreted this correctly.

Here are a couple of cropped pictures to hopefully make things clearer. The second one is tight on the area you describe. The vertical line is from where it's been sitting outside with another piece covering part but not all of it. It's a solid piece of wood. I should see if I can find a short cutoff piece to keep as a souvenir.

And yes, there's a lot of adhesive going on everywhere. I can tell by all the empty tubes!

Name:	Crop.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	261.1 KB 
ID:	23328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crop2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	23329