Thread: Will we seeing the vacuum apocalypse coming or not?

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here

Will we seeing the vacuum apocalypse coming or not?

The only thing scarier than the vacuum apocalypse is knowing that it's coming.

Some sources say that the bubble will expand at the speed of light so we'll never seeing it coming. But there is some mention in some places (Wikipedia) that it is "almost" the speed of light. Well almost the speed of light isn't the speed of light. Even if it is 0.999999999 of the speed of light, if the bubble starts one billion light years away we'd see it start one year before it hit us.

Now that is terrifying because that last year of existence would suck.

I hope it starts in Andromeda. Then there wouldn't be time to get the word out.

Will we seeing the vacuum apocalypse coming or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Why? Because we’d all be in pain? There are many people who are told they will die in a year, and it can sometimes be a fulfilling last year. It doesn’t seem that bad to me, knowing that we will all vanish together, painlessly. Do you prefer dying one by one to cancer or vascular disease,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Why? Because we’d all be in pain? There are many people who are told they will die in a year, and it can sometimes be a fulfilling last year. It doesn’t seem that bad to me, knowing that we will all vanish together, painlessly. Do you prefer dying one by one to cancer or vascular disease,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Society would breakdown completely if word got out that the universe was going to end.

That's why the actual light speed expansion is benign. Everything is humming along nicely then it just isn't.

Society would breakdown completely if word got out that the universe was going to end.
    Often said, but I'm unconvinced. I think the way things go in the film Last Night (1998) might be nearer the mark.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I suspect that most people wouldn't believe it any more than they believe any of the other frequent predictions of the end of the world.
    Selden

Still. More favourable than the Big Rip or Big Freeze. At least everything is fine until it isn't. The other scenarios are just despair.

But everything is just despair, when you think about it.
    Life is so much easier once you've embraced the despair.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Life's tough and then you die.
    I know that I know nothing, so I question everything. - Socrates/Descartes

What Are You Tallking About ?

The only thing scarier than the vacuum apocalypse is knowing that it's coming.

Some sources say that the bubble will expand at the speed of light so we'll never seeing it coming. But there is some mention in some places (Wikipedia) that it is "almost" the speed of light. Well almost the speed of light isn't the speed of light. Even if it is 0.999999999 of the speed of light, if the bubble starts one billion light years away we'd see it start one year before it hit us.

I hope it starts in Andromeda. Then there wouldn't be time to get the word out.
    A reference, please.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    A reference, please.
    This all started back in 1982. Turner & Wilczek, Nature 282: 633-4. Take a look at the last paragraph. Also note the sentence within that paragraph beginning "There is no immediate cause for concern ..."

As usual, the only potentially interesting statement in the Wikipedia article is the one lacking a citation. I've never seen a suggestion that this bubble would expand at anything other than the speed of light.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

It's in the section of bubble nucleation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum

"Therefore, after the bubble is nucleated, it quickly begins expanding at very nearly the speed of light."

But that's what I'm asking in this question forum. Is it the speed of light or very nearly the speed of light?

"Therefore, after the bubble is nucleated, it quickly begins expanding at very nearly the speed of light."

But that's what I'm asking in this question forum. Is it the speed of light or very nearly the speed of light?
    That's what I was pointing out. No supporting citation for the intriguing "very nearly" from Wikipedia (which is an ironically common problem). But lots of easily found references saying "at the speed of light". I'm not disposed to believe Wikipedia without evidence.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

The Odds Are Against It

Thanks, all.

This has 1 chance in 10^9 years of getting on my list of worries.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    But everything is just despair, when you think about it.
    Life is so much easier once you've embraced the despair.
    Well said. Didn't some Indian guy say something along those lines a few years back?
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Well said. Didn't some Indian guy say something along those lines a few years back?
    Original with me, as far as I know, but I'd never claim unique insight for something so obvious.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Hard to imagine living forever, or even for centuries. Life's repetition would eventually get boring.