Thread: Margot Kidder (Lois Lane) has died

Margot Kidder (Lois Lane) has died

Margot Kidder, who found fame as Lois Lane in the 1978 film "Superman," died Sunday at her home in Montana ... the actress died peacefully in her sleep.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/14/enter...ead/index.html
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

RIP Lois.

I am out of time right now, but...

This is a blow. She was kind of important to me on a developmental level. She had a breakdown which was widely reported in the news and at the time my mother was having similar (but different) issues. I recalled thinking "Ah, so this does happen to other people. It could be anyone." That was informative and somehow comforting. It was not that someone was having problems, but that these issues are just a part of life and you can be your own person who does cool and great things anyway, because that is also a part of your life.

Movies were one of the best openings to converse with my mom, and of course, Superman was one of the ones we watched or talked about together. Some of my best stories about my mom revolved around the movies. I recall having the Superman Soundtrack on record and Margot Kidder's voice is the only one on the album.
    Solfe

I used to confuse her with Margeaux Hemingway, another gorgeous, exotic actress with some problems. The latter died quite young.

What is sad is that her acting career ended after her mental breakdown. THere is still to this day a social stigma about people with mental illness that is grossly unfair.

Is it just me? I swear I thought she had already passed away. I remember Christopher Reeve giving a nice comment about working with her, the kind of thing people say about coworkers who have passed on.

RIP, Margot

Quote Originally Posted by otakenji View Post
    What is sad is that her acting career ended after her mental breakdown. THere is still to this day a social stigma about people with mental illness that is grossly unfair.
    While it is certainly true that there is a stigma, it is not true that her acting career ended. She has a credit from this year. She wasn't working steadily, but that seems to have been as much her choice as anything else.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    While it is certainly true that there is a stigma, it is not true that her acting career ended. She has a credit from this year. She wasn't working steadily, but that seems to have been as much her choice as anything else.
    From interviews I've read, she was - happy might be too strong a word - contented with the roles that came her way, and seemed to have been glad to be working, even if in the end the products wasn't well received or was even poor quality. I think the work was more important to her than the result, if that makes sense.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

That's what I read as well. She was living in Montana and enjoying that, which meant that any role took her away from home. She loved working and loved living in Montana and was choosing between those loves.

"You can't erase icing."

Still, she won a Daytime Emmy in 2015.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0452288/awards
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    That's what I read as well. She was living in Montana and enjoying that, which meant that any role took her away from home. She loved working and loved living in Montana and was choosing between those loves.
    I was surprised to see she was in Livingston. I grew up in the next city east and went to college in the next one west, so I've been through it many times.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I was surprised to see she was in Livingston. I grew up in the next city east and went to college in the next one west, so I've been through it many times.
    I'm in the next city to the west and was also surprised to hear she was in Livingston.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I passed through Bozeman a couple of years ago. It looks a LOT different from when I was there in the late 1960's! For one thing, about the whole western third of it didn't exist then.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.