Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replicating molecule..

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    .. Just a cautionary note to Kevin that might help when reading articles saying things like "Organic compounds found on planet X" - they are actually saying nothing about life. We find organic compounds on asteroids, in giant molecular clouds and so on.
    Unfortunately many articles typically include dialogue worded as though it is directly from research scientists which make it look like they are saying things about (exo)-life.
    For instance, one recent article about molecules measured by Cassini whilst flying through Enceladus' plumes, contains text like:
    Quote Originally Posted by Journalist supposedly quoting Khawaja
    He says researchers donít have evidence of life there, but they canít rule out a biotic origin for these organic molecules.
    .. which then gets even more convoluted:
    Quote Originally Posted by same source
    Others agree. This is not a sign of life, says Dave Clements of Imperial College London, who has identified organic molecules in Enceladusís jets from Earth-based telescopes. ďBut it is a sign that life, or some biochemical process that could lead to life, might be there,Ē he says.
    Which I think is dancing a pretty fine line between talking about (exo)life, whilst not really talking about (exo)life, by talking about what the constraints might look like which could lead to a conclusion of (exo)life, based on an actual in situ measurment of larg(ish) organic molecules (of about 200 amu)!

Hiya, i have been watching videos about all kind of Biology over the last few weeks.. Very interesting !

I was just wondering about what happens when a sperm enters a women's an ovum..

I know a sperm and a women's egg both contain chromosomes.. But happens when the sperm enters the egg ? What is the first interaction that happens, how do the chromosomes interact with each other ?
    How does the DNA know it is at the beginning of an embryo cycle.. I have read about transcription factors and how they regulate gene expression but how does the DNA first code for a transcription factor without having a transcription factor to regulate the first gene expression ?

I wish i had went to collage and university and studied this stuff but i was blindsided in my younger years due to addiction issues.. I am nearly 7 years into recovery now.. But i really enjoy learning about the natural world and how it all works, i have a deep thirst for knowledge !
    Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere...