Thread: The Expanse

The Expanse

'The Expanse' Revived for Season 4 at Amazon

The news comes 10 days after Syfy canceled the space drama after three seasons.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...amazon-1113803

This should be good news to some on here.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

So glad, SyFy execs really need to re-evaluate their decision making abilities, the original deal (which they themselves drafted) limited their profit potential severely. Amazon wasted little time in swooping in to pick up the series as they see it's real potential.

For those who haven't watched the show (or read the source novels) you are missing a treat. One word of advice though, if you do watch it I'd suggest binge watching it, as the story may seem a bit slow at times but that's simply because the overall story is epic, think Game of Thrones in space.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    think Game of Thrones in space.
    ...eeeehh.. maybe? If the show had been pitched to me that way before I saw it, I might not have been keen. It's epic and grand and awesome, to be sure, but not everyone is a Thronie.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Glad to hear this. I am about halfway through Series 2 and still enjoying it. It is veering off course from the books but that is pretty normal with adaptions and I am prepared to wear it as long it uses the basic concepts and is still worth watching.

Now for Firefly.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    There's a third season? That's not on my Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    ...eeeehh.. maybe? If the show had been pitched to me that way before I saw it, I might not have been keen. It's epic and grand and awesome, to be sure, but not everyone is a Thronie.
    Yeah. Hate Game of Thrones and its epic pretensions, don't have time to binge-watch anything even if I were that way inclined, but still rather enjoyed the first season of The Expanse.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    There's a third season? That's not on my Netflix.
    that's because it's still airing new episodes for the season. Netflix can only show the season once it's completed airing, and with the Amazon Prime deal in place that may change.

I've been trickling slowly through Season 2 (interspersed with episodes of Space Patrol, the UK marionette series from the '60s, which is interesting).
    Is it just me, or did they choose entirely the wrong actor to play Holden? For me, Steven Strait is too young, too doe-eyed, too self-indulgently anguished. (As My Wife The Professor would say, "If that one worked for me, I'd be keeping a very close eye on him.")

Wes Chatham, on the other hand, gives very good Amos.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Agreed. Holden is my least favorite character. Too much angst for my taste.

The Amos character grew on me, while Shohreh Aghdashloo hit it out of the park portraying Chrisjen Avasarala from day one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Agreed. Holden is my least favorite character. Too much angst for my taste.

The Amos character grew on me, while Shohreh Aghdashloo hit it out of the park portraying Chrisjen Avasarala from day one.
    Ah, I had the opposite experience. On first viewing, I felt they'd got everyone wrong but Amos. Whereas I found Aghdashloo's odd speech patterns (chopping UP her words with the emPHASis in the WRONG place) pretty distracting, so it took me a while to stop wondering about her neurology and to spot what a fine actor she is.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Yes, the portrayal of Amos is very good and sits very well with my mental picture of him. Perhaps Wes Chatham's military background let him "live" the character better than others would have done ? I also like Aghdashloo's portrayal, and after some initial doubts I did enjoy the portrayal of Miller by Thomas Jane. As with you both, I am least convinced by the Holden persona than any other.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Yes, the portrayal of Amos is very good and sits very well with my mental picture of him.
    Yes, Chatham manages to look endearingly earnest, politely indulgent and very slightly threatening, all at the same time, and all without apparently doing very much. It seems to involve a reduced blink rate, a quarter-smile, a slight head tilt and a forward lean, but it's all very much from the less-is-more school of acting. Being built like the proverbial sturdy outhouse helps, of course.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note: