Thread: How much energy does the world produce?

How much energy does the world produce?

In a year how much energy does civilization produce? How does it compare with the energy generated by hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes, solar flares or other natural events? Let's say both produce and consume, and how it compares to the energy of natural disasters.

5 seconds of googling "much energy does civilization produce" and "energy earth" has these as the first hits:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_energy_consumption
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_energy_budget

From those Wikipedia articles:

The IEA estimates that, in 2013, total primary energy supply (TPES) was 1.575 1017 Wh (= 157.5 PWh, 157,500 TWh, 5.67 1020 joules, or 13,541 Mtoe) or about 18 TW-year.[3]

The geothermal heat flux from the Earth's interior is estimated to be 47 terawatts.[10] This comes to 0.087 watt/square metre, which represents only 0.027% of Earth's total energy budget at the surface, which is dominated by 173,000 terawatts of incoming solar radiation.[11]
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

And apparently, according to the NOAAs website, a hurricane releases about 600 Terawatts of energy. So were not quite there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    And apparently, according to the NOAA’s website, a hurricane releases about 600 Terawatts of energy. So we’re not quite there.

Watts are units of power, not energy.

Quote Originally Posted by 7cscb View Post
    Watts are units of power, not energy.
    Thanks. Yes, power.

As above, so below

In other words the power received from the Sun is nearly ten thousand times greater than the power produced by our civilisation. Over my lifetime this ratio has slowly been decreasing, but there is still a long way to go.