Thread: MORE Yellowstone Super Volcano Misinformation.

MORE Yellowstone Super Volcano Misinformation.

https://phys.org/news/2018-06-magma-...ervolcano.html

Once again we're seeing Yellowstone's 640 thousand year eruption cycle misrepresented.

Amazing how fast 320 thousand years go by after main stream media gets a hold of something.

But you can't make it good click bait if you're disaster of biblical proportions has to wait 107 times longer than all of recorded history before it occurs again.

And the only reason I'm cheesed a bit is I nominally trust that site. But articles like that and the general attitude of their articles that everything humans touch turns to crap is beginning to erode that trust.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Wikipedia says 630,000 years since the last major eruption. I'm not sure what the problem is that you are seeing.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yes, what is the problem you're having with the article BD?

Because up until 12 or 15 years ago the Yellowstone Super Volcano was in the *middle* of its 640 thousand year eruption cycle!

As in, it last erupted 320 thousand years ago! 320 thousand years until the next eruption if it maintains schedule.

I've been watching the eruption date move backwards in time in the media for over a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Because up until 12 or 15 years ago the Yellowstone Super Volcano was in the *middle* of its 640 thousand year eruption cycle!

As in, it last erupted 320 thousand years ago! 320 thousand years until the next eruption if it maintains schedule.

I've been watching the eruption date move backwards in time in the media for over a decade.
    I dunno, Don, I seem to remember it it the other way for at least 25 years. Here's one of my posts from 16 years ago:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrapesOfWrath View Post
    I didn't watch it, what does it say?

By coincidence, 700,000 years is roughly the time between the great eruptions of the Yellowstone caldera--2 million years ago, 1.3 mya, and 0.6 mya. So, anytime soon!
    Last edited by grapes; 2018-Jun-05 at 05:50 PM. Reason: ETA: 15 -> 16

Well, maybe. According to the USGS, the Yellowstone volcanic plateau has formed from three large eruptions in the past two million years, plus some smaller eruptions. The last biggie was about 640,000 years ago.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes...o_hist_88.html

Part of what you're seeing as shifting accounts of eruption history (other than simply due to improved knowledge of the geology) may stem from what might or might not be considered a large eruption worthy of the term 'supervolcano'. As mentioned, the last big one was indeed 640,000 ya, but the volcano has erupted as recently as 70,000 ya. According to the USGS.

Okay guys, I'll go hackles down for the time being.

(And I'm sure as Hell not going to obsess to the point of getting infracted about it.)

Plus I was hyper touchy yesterday. A Fed-Ex truck hit my balcony while trying to use the parking lot of my complex as a short cut. Tore off three uprights.