Thread: checking your computer-remembered passwords

checking your computer-remembered passwords

The problem with having your computer automatically log in all your passwords is that eventually you forget your passwords. And are thus one virus away from losing access to your online accounts. Is there a way to check your computer for your passwords without logging out of your accounts?
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

If you are using Chrome, you can go to settings, advance and passwords. It will display a list of all remembered passwords. One thing I noticed is, these don't have to be correct passwords, merely the fact that you typed it and said "remember it" is enough to populate the field.

If you have forgotten a password and you are still logged in, you can usually find a part of the website or service that allows you to change the password or reset it. If you are logged out, then usually there is a link or a intersessional screen that will appear if you type the wrong password too many times.
    Solfe

Thanks. Apparently I don't have it saved. So I'm just going to have to pray that the password in my wetware is the correct one should my computer get another virus.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

What's the site in question?
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

You can always choose the 'forgot my password' option on almost any site these days.
    It will send you a reset. Then change your password to the one you remember - or alternately, something you will remember.

I have a system of passwords - each one unique - where just going on a website will be enough to remind me what my password is.

Some websites won't interface with password-remembering programs.

For those that do, my browser will ask me if I want it to remember a password. (I wait until the site actually logs me in to say Yes.)

However, there are 2-4 sites I visit that will display my username and password (well. ********), but give me an error message when I Enter. So I manually enter the username and the password and get logged in. And the browser does not ask me if I want to save the "new" password, which means it already had that password, which means that was the password being used on the first try. When I got the error message. (sigh)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board