Thread: Life on Mars

Life on Mars

Just looking for new ideas. Let's say you were a young adult born and raised on a Martian colony. What sort of work would you do? What do you imagine your role is in helping the colony thrive?
    Depending on whom you ask, everything is relative.

Probably would be doing stuff like helping growing and harvesting the colonies food, or working in a field close to what you would be doing as adult. I have the feeling in some respects you would have to be as useful as possible starting out young.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I wouldn't expect anyone who doesn't truly want to be on Mars at all. . If you've decided to go to Mars, you're probably an engineer, or scientist, or farmer, or technician, or something that you can apply to Mars. Which means that the best way for you to pay your debt to society would be to work it off--community service for almost everyone, and deportation back to Earth for the irredeemable criminals.

I would be a scientist (probably a linguist, as I'm addicted to languages). Would try to create a new Martian dialect for the easier communication. That's the first idea that came into my head lol, nothing truly productive

Ecological watchdog. Like everyone else there who wants to live.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I could also be a Geographic Information Systems technician and geo-spatial data processing engineer. That's one of the jobs (lists on the Mars Mission Jobs Hiring Company) I guess that will be indeed helpful when exploring Mars (not that linguist nonsense I mentioned)
    Last edited by timbetancourt; 2018-Aug-09 at 10:07 AM.

I would probably study and try to find out if would ever have been possible for life to exist on the largest rocky planet in the system, even though it is incredibly wet and gassy! Maybe there were times in the past when the planet was dry, or maybe small pieces of it, perhaps it once had a decently thin atmosphere, instead of that suffocating air-soup it has now. My neighbour looked through a telescope, and he thought he saw canals. We all laughed.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Repair-robot repairman.

I suggest to anybody desiring to do this that they spend 110 days at sea first. I did.

Changes your whole outlook about spending lengthy amounts of time in an artificial environment.

THEN raise creatures that have to live in a tank.

Drives the nail in the coffin that one does.

I forgot what science fiction story it was in but a threat from the main antagonist to one of his underlings was;

"If you fail me in this I'll have you converted into something that has to live in a tank!"

Actually made me shudder.

You might not see it but this is that.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    I suggest to anybody desiring to do this that they spend 110 days at sea first. I did.

Changes your whole outlook about spending lengthy amounts of time in an artificial environment.

THEN raise creatures that have to live in a tank.

Drives the nail in the coffin that one does.

I forgot what science fiction story it was in but a threat from the main antagonist to one of his underlings was;

"If you fail me in this I'll have you converted into something that has to live in a tank!"

Actually made me shudder.

You might not see it but this is that.
    We are not talking about living on a Navy ship or a sub. Any environment with permanent inhabitants will (if they are at all competent in planning) be designed with human psychological needs in mind. Large, open-plan spaces. Lots of clear windows and natural lighting. Gardens, probably; not just food farms but aesthetically pleasing gardens with trees and some ground cover that you can walk barefoot in. The water recycling system could include swimmable pools instead of bland reserve tanks. And the bathrooms... Now there's a design challenge. No airplane toilets here! Luxurious baths to rival the Romans. Hot tubs. Why not? You're already talking about a manufacturing base that can handle automated building and construction, before humans can realistically settle on Mars anyway. So go whole hog, or none.

Now, I don't expect this right away. The =earliest humans on Mars will live as astronauts do, in the most Spartan military-like conditions. But they will not stay that way. As more arrive from Earth, as their industries advance and bootstrap and increase exponentially (plus added gifts from Earth to accompany the late arrivals) it's not unreasonable to eventually build up to a Stately Pleasure Dome to rival Xanadu.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    We are not talking about living on a Navy ship or a sub. Any environment with permanent inhabitants will (if they are at all competent in planning) be designed with human psychological needs in mind. Large, open-plan spaces. Lots of clear windows and natural lighting. Gardens, probably; not just food farms but aesthetically pleasing gardens with trees and some ground cover that you can walk barefoot in. The water recycling system could include swimmable pools instead of bland reserve tanks. And the bathrooms... Now there's a design challenge. No airplane toilets here! Luxurious baths to rival the Romans. Hot tubs. Why not? You're already talking about a manufacturing base that can handle automated building and construction, before humans can realistically settle on Mars anyway. So go whole hog, or none.

Now, I don't expect this right away. The =earliest humans on Mars will live as astronauts do, in the most Spartan military-like conditions. But they will not stay that way. As more arrive from Earth, as their industries advance and bootstrap and increase exponentially (plus added gifts from Earth to accompany the late arrivals) it's not unreasonable to eventually build up to a Stately Pleasure Dome to rival Xanadu.
    Before I start, first let me say...

Clev! How the hell are you! Damn nice to see you again!

Let me channel my inner Iron Belly; "Bill Tyler...I thought you were dead!"

That out of the way...

Your Xanadu is going to be funded how? 'Cause the only thing your story is missing is the unicorns.

This is going to be paid for by Lois.

As in Lois Common Denominator.

She don't pay for wonder toilets when regular ones will work just fine. Mars has at least that much gravity. (Boy, microgravity brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "Poop floats".)
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Before I start, first let me say...

Clev! How the hell are you! Damn nice to see you again!

Let me channel my inner Iron Belly; "Bill Tyler...I thought you were dead!"
    Glad to be back, and good to know you are too!

That out of the way...

Your Xanadu is going to be funded how? 'Cause the only thing your story is missing is the unicorns.

This is going to be paid for by Lois.

As in Lois Common Denominator.

She don't pay for wonder toilets when regular ones will work just fine. Mars has at least that much gravity. (Boy, microgravity brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "Poop floats".)
    Um, what? LCD is nonsense. That cannot possibly pay for a single manned Mars mission, let alone settlement and colonization! Did you think I meant we could do it NOW?

Mars cannot be permanently peopled at all using the current economy or industrial complex, period. Even with regular support and shipments from Earth, it's just too far to transport bulk goods.

We'd have to wait until some form of flexible, exponential mining/manufacturing technology is developed. Robots building factories that build other factories... from scratch. Engineered for Martian conditions, bootstrapping its way up for decades. Building a major base well in advance of colonists' arrival. It's a long, long ways off.

And in any case, if it turns out humans cannot give birth and grow up healthy in low gravity, the entire idea is off the table. Nothing but robots and temporary visitors for Mars.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2018-Aug-14 at 12:14 PM.