Thread: medicine and side effects

medicine and side effects

I have a bit of high blood pressure, and my doctor prescribed a perindopril based pill. This caused my ankles to swell. I told him so he prescribed a version of the medicine combined with a diuretic. The diuretic caused low levels of potassium which led to fast, irregular heartbeats. So he added another medicine which should help against irregular heartbeats, but it then negatively affected my thyroid.... It also made me feel sluggish. Potassium supplements were prescribed but did not help raise the potassium level.

A chain reaction of side effects due to the pills.

He was about to suggest replacing the original diuretic with another one which does not eliminate potassium (but could cause, in some cases, swelling of breasts... - and me a male...).

I then suggested a smaller dosage of the perindopril/diuretic pill, and it worked. Now I have a normal blood pressure level around 120/70, no longer feel sluggish and no longer have irregular heartbeats. My potassium level is OK now.

Incredible how pharmaceuticals have so many side effects.

I also have been doing daily handgrip exercises which help lower blood pressure. This along with eating correctly, cutting down on salt and plenty of exercises, helped me reduce the dosage of blood pressure medicine down to a minimum.

No so much for you, because it seems like you already did it, but writing a list of side effects can make a doctor change up your meds. Always remember diet and exercise. I am racing for a med change because of diet and exercise. Fewer pills I hope, but we'll see.

I needed to lose 30 lbs. I am down a little over 45 lbs which is a great improvement. This being off of work thing is driving me nuts, because now I have to get moving of my own accord. That is hard with an injury. I am doing tons of laundry but I need the kids to cart the stuff up the stairs.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Always remember diet and exercise. I am racing for a med change because of diet and exercise. Fewer pills I hope, but we'll see.
    It sure helped my wife who now takes less meds for here diabetes. She hates cooking so even with all the restaurant meals she has managed to lose over 100 lbs. She is very picky when ordering her meals. She also loves her Fit-Bit and is in competition with two of our kids.

I hope your recovery goes well and you can do the exercises you would like.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    It sure helped my wife who now takes less meds for here diabetes. She hates cooking so even with all the restaurant meals she has managed to lose over 100 lbs. She is very picky when ordering her meals. She also loves her Fit-Bit and is in competition with two of our kids.

I hope your recovery goes well and you can do the exercises you would like.
    I tried swimming in a wave pool today. It did not go well. I ended up riding on an inner tube around a pool called "The Lazy River". That was relaxing but not swimming.
    Solfe

Well Solfe, assuming it's less than 85 degrees, just being in water consumes calories, so it's never a waste of time.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)