Thread: Lowest bass note in a hit song

Lowest bass note in a hit song

I was listening to 60's music and heard "Along Came Jones" (Coasters). I remember how much I enjoyed those deep bass notes when tsuch songs first came out, assuming I was using a radio/speaker systems that could extend to that low range -- not my home-made crystal radio I listened to in English class in Elementary school, nor my single transistor radio.

["Day Tripper" with its intro bass is what finally got me interested in the Beatles.]

So what hit song has the lowest bass singer's note? Barber shop quartets and gospel music artists are two groups that might have it, but these aren't really in the "hit" music category I'm looking for.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Rich Sterban hits some pretty low notes on the Oak Ridge Boys "Elvira," which certainly qualifies as a "hit song" (#1 on Billboard's country chart, #5 on the pop chart).

If I'm reading this page correctly, he hits B1 on that song.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I'm a little confused, do you mean deepest bass note from an instrument (like a bass or synthesizer), or by a singer?
    As above, so below

Public Enemy's Bring the Noise asks the very question: "Bass! How low can you go?" Must be a metaphor because they are sampling Funkadelic among others. Sort of screamy at that point.

Edit - Real answer might be John Cash's I Walk the Line. Either the original or the cover by Live. One of the contestants on American Idol might have dropped it lower.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2018-Jun-26 at 01:57 AM.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Rich Sterban hits some pretty low notes on the Oak Ridge Boys "Elvira," which certainly qualifies as a "hit song" (#1 on Billboard's country chart, #5 on the pop chart).

Giddy-up! That was my first thought as well.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

That may be it! Your link also lists him at an A1 for Elvira, likely to feature him. He has one song I see at an Eb1. Oom Papa Wow Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I'm a little confused, do you mean deepest bass note from an instrument (like a bass or synthesizer), or by a singer?
    Yes, "bass singer's note".

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    That may be it! Your link also lists him at an A1 for Elvira, likely to feature him. He has one song I see at an Eb1. Oom Papa Wow Wow!
    The A1 note says "Live interview 2013". I ignored that one because I wanted to stick to the studio ("hit") version of the song.

EDIT: I remember seeing a guy on TV not too long ago who can hit notes so low that you literally can't even hear them - he can vibrate his vocal cords at a frequency below the threshold of human hearing.
    Last edited by SeanF; 2018-Jun-26 at 04:48 PM.

I remember reading an interview with actor John Carradine. He claims that one time he had a dressing room next to Ezio Pinza's and as that man warmed up for a performance, Carradine sang everything Pinza did an octave lower, until he was lower than bass, and thus astonished the great man.

Take as much of that as you are wont. Carradine had been known to spin tales.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Yes, "bass singer's note".
    Ah. Nevermind then. I was going to throw David Essex's 'Rock On' in there. There are a couple of notes so low you can hear them more as vibrations than sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liWIbE1gQTk

Leaving aside the "hit song" part for a moment, here's Wikipedia:

For 18 years, Sumner held the Guinness World Record for recording the lowest bass note. As of 2011, he has been surpassed only three times by the following vocalists: Dan Britton (1984), Tim Storms (2002 and once more in 2012), and Roger Menees (2011)
    Sumner hit a C1 in multiple recordings, and a G0 live with Elvis.

Britton and Menees are gospel singers as far as I know, as is the 8Hz guy. So from the Guinness Book names, Sumner would by far be the closest to the "hit song" element.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Leaving aside the "hit song" part for a moment, here's Wikipedia:
    Can you trust a Wikipedia editor who can't count?

The A1 note says "Live interview 2013". I ignored that one because I wanted to stick to the studio ("hit") version of the song.
    Agreed.

EDIT: I remember seeing a guy on TV not too long ago who can hit notes so low that you literally can't even hear them - he can vibrate his vocal cords at a frequency below the threshold of human hearing.
    I suppose that would be near or below the C0 note (~ 16 Hz). Yikes!

Sumner hit a C1 in multiple recordings, and a G0 live with Elvis.
    Ah Sumner! There's a name that I should not have forgotten.

Britton and Menees are gospel singers as far as I know, as is the 8Hz guy. So from the Guinness Book names, Sumner would by far be the closest to the "hit song" element.
    Amazing. What would be an 8 Hz note, C-1?

The lowest bass note I ever heard occurred when I heard the flight deck of the Constellation, five and a half acres of 3.5 inch thick armor grade steel, wobble like sheet aluminum being used in a stage play to mimic thunder.

The 95,000 ton USS Constellation rammed a 5,000 ton freighter The Bangalore Joy at thirty-five knots. At about 1 AM.

(By 8 AM we were launching Alpha Strikes again.)

I saw the deck ripple at an amplitude of about a foot and a half, until the ripple got to where I was standing. (On a tool box, no less.)

Needless to say I went airborne briefly.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    The lowest bass note I ever heard occurred when I heard the flight deck of the Constellation, five and a half acres of 3.5 inch thick armor grade steel, wobble like sheet aluminum being used in a stage play to mimic thunder.

The 95,000 ton USS Constellation rammed a 5,000 ton freighter The Bangalore Joy at thirty-five knots. At about 1 AM.

(By 8 AM we were launching Alpha Strikes again.)

I saw the deck ripple at an amplitude of about a foot and a half, until the ripple got to where I was standing. (On a tool box, no less.)

Needless to say I went airborne briefly.
    Eek, I thought just jets were to be catapulted. Beats being bounced on the Bangalore, no doubt.

We had a ramming incident at work this morning. The payroll delivery person left their car in "drive" after getting out and walking through the front door. Our big cacti planters minimized the damage to our front door's frame.

Can you trust a Wikipedia editor who can't count?
    Editing sentences versus writing sentences likely is the explanation for that calendar clash.

If only they'd mount a handbrake in cars eh...

Editing sentences versus writing sentences likely is the explanation for that calendar clash.
    I missed the calendar clash there. I just noted that it should have read "four times by the following three vocalists ..." Definitely an incomplete edit.