Thread: Is it time to just admit that we're not interested in fighting climate change?

Is it time to just admit that we're not interested in fighting climate change?

The UK just approved a third runway at Heathrow. The US pulled out of the Paris agreement. Assad has all but announced publicly that the 12 million Sunni refugees created in his civil war (which was triggered by a record drought) will not be invited back. Europe's response? Right wing populism. We've had two major dry runs for a climate change future so far: Hurricane Katrina and the Syrian Civil War. We failed both and we don't care. When Bangladesh floods, or the Ganges and Brahmaputra dry up, and the hundreds of millions of desperate people come crashing into our walls, we will find a way to normalise that too. So why do we keep telling ourselves we don't want this?
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

No

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    The UK just approved a third runway at Heathrow. The US pulled out of the Paris agreement. Assad has all but announced publicly that the 12 million Sunni refugees created in his civil war (which was triggered by a record drought) will not be invited back. Europe's response? Right wing populism. We've had two major dry runs for a climate change future so far: Hurricane Katrina and the Syrian Civil War. We failed both and we don't care. When Bangladesh floods, or the Ganges and Brahmaputra dry up, and the hundreds of millions of desperate people come crashing into our walls, we will find a way to normalise that too. So why do we keep telling ourselves we don't want this?

No, it is time to admit we are systematically destroying our environment.

I'm still interested and most of the planet is too as far as I can tell. There appears to be only 2 major groups that are more interested in short term profits while ignoring the long term consequences, the fossil fuel industry and a certain "conservative" political party.

Yeah, we are interested in fighting climate change. We're just interested in other things, too. It's as easy to cherry-pick examples that demonstrate interest as it is to cherry-pick examples that show other priorities in operation.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    I don't see any way that this is not a political discussion and therefore is not an appropriate topic for CQ. Frankly parallaxicality, you have been here long enough to know that, but I'll let it go this time.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules