Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
Obviously not. That is not the question. The question is does the person have a solid background and track record in his field? Any scientific background? Peter Sturrock iss an emeritius professor of applied physics at Stanford University, much of his career has been devoted to astrophysics, plasma physics, etc.
Let's assume "yes". That means when he talks about the development cycles of stars or the dynamics of the Sun's corona (if those happen to be in his specialty) you'd probably do well to listen to him. Does that make him in any way, shape, or form more qualified if he talks about F-18 fighter HUD video clips, ATC radar data, or abductions stories? If we're talking about the same guy, he's 95 years old. How current is he in his specialties anyway?

The question you ask about his background is meaningless if you don't at the same time provide which of his views, opinions or statements should be valued on the merits of his background (and considering his age, probably in which historical context).

I don't know much about this guy, but he's been talked about in this forum before, several times. You may correct me if I'm wrong, but a quick look tells me that his main contribution is doing surveys about statistics of UFO reports within certain demographics, he disagrees with some published investigation reports, and thinks some UFO incidents might need further investigation. What does that have to do with astro or plasma physics?

Again, what does any of this have to do with the topic of this thread, that apparently number of UFO sightings decline?