Thread: The Barringer Crater Impact Question.

The Barringer Crater Impact Question.

I've been wanting to ask this one for a while now.

If Barringer Crater was created by surprise yesterday, instead of 50,000 years ago, what would today be like in the United States?

and the rest of the year?

Thank you.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Good question

The crater FAQ says it was a 2.5 megaton explosion. The wikipedia article says it was 10 megaton, and points out that Elugelab was a 10+ megaton explosion that produced a smaller crater.

ETA: Mt St Helens appears to have been 24 megaton

https://www.barringercrater.com/faq/
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_Crater
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elugelab
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TNT_equivalent
    Last edited by grapes; 2018-Jul-01 at 01:10 PM. Reason: ETA

It is out in an unpopulated part of the desert. I suspect that if it had been built, the Barringer Crater souvenir shop/trading post would be completely destroyed, and possibly a few people who happened to be in that part of the desert would be missing and presumed dead. Aside from that, I think news channels would be talking about it as the second or third topic each hour for more than a day.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I guess by today the earthquake lateral waves have subsided leaving many structures damaged, but the dust is still raining out and will do for weeks. Obviously all flying in USA has halted, it will cause some cooling, it's not an ice age any more but we can expect magnificent sunsets for a year or so. It will mess the weather up all year. It might cause a lot of aftershocks along the fault lines, earthquakes and volcanoes. I think it will make the news worldwide but remember there is a football world cup going on in Russia, so the big question is whether it will affect the final.

There will be a lot of I told you so pulpit thumping, and NASA budget will increase, well after the horse has bolted. Horses by the way will not like it. The meteorite will fetch a high price on ebay and will will sell many times, (fake impacts).
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    I've been wanting to ask this one for a while now.

If Barringer Crater was created by surprise yesterday, instead of 50,000 years ago, what would today be like in the United States?

and the rest of the year?

Thank you.
    I wonder what the chances are for something like that happening fairly soon? Could a rock that size slip past Nasa's meteor watch?
    I know that I know nothing, so I question everything. - Socrates/Descartes

Quote Originally Posted by DaCaptain View Post
    I wonder what the chances are for something like that happening fairly soon? Could a rock that size slip past Nasa's meteor watch?
    Slip past as in could they miss seeing it? Almost certainly. It was only 50 meters, according to Wikipedia.
    Or slip past as in they wouldn't be able to stop it? Yes. No way to stop it at this time even if you see it coming.
    The profitability, however, is not very high. I'd guess a once in several millennia event.

Regarding another post, I don't think the energy release comparison to Mt St Helens is very valid. This was a LOT faster.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.