Thread: Cecil Adams' The Straight Dope is Ending

Cecil Adams' The Straight Dope is Ending

Uncle Cecil's 45-year effort to fight ignorance is coming to an end.
    We're losing a sorely needed voice of reason and sanity in this increasingly insane world.

I know I'll miss his weekly column.

Link to the announcement:
    https://www.straightdope.com/a-note-...straight-dope/
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

That's sad. I visit rarely these days, but used to spend hours and hours there. A font of well researched content, but to expect it would outlast ignorance would be too much to hope for.

I have been thinking earlier though about what they would do if Cecil himself would become unable to contribute. It's fortunate that the column isn't ending for one of the more tragic reasons for which it could.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

The Straight Dope is ending. Unshelved ended some time ago and will no longer be sending out strips to the mailing list. I hope the Foglios don't decide they're tired of Girl Genius or anything.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

What a shame. I hope the archives and forums will continue, at least. There are almost 20 years of insightful discussions about almost any topic imaginable there.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    What a shame. I hope the archives and forums will continue, at least. There are almost 20 years of insightful discussions about almost any topic imaginable there.
    From Cecil's announcement:

[...] the Straight Dope legacy will remain intact. The Straight Dope archive – some 3,400 columns, most written by me, the balance by the Straight Dope Science Advisory Board, my online auxiliary – will remain accessible [...] The Straight Dope Message Board (SDMB), the online community that has grown up around the column, will remain open for business.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    From Cecil's announcement:
    Good!

I couldn't see any physics or cosmology.

This is just the first one that comes to mind. https://www.straightdope.com/columns...-an-epic-poem/

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Phil Plait was The Bad Astronomer there long before the BABB or BAUT bulletin board versions