Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SF references to current pop culture

Farscape had a lot of modern expressions used around aliens. It was a modern human sent across the galaxy but i don't understand how the aliens understood him.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Farscape had a lot of modern expressions used around aliens. It was a modern human sent across the galaxy but i don't understand how the aliens understood him.
    Related XKCD: https://xkcd.com/890/

And related Wookiepedia: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_...h_in_Star_Wars
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    "Kaiser Bill", as he was unaffectionately known. (An unexpected bit of synchronicity with your "Dropping The Pilot" reference!) I wouldn't have had any communication from such Olympian heights, though I can't now recall who I did deal with.

Grant Hutchison
    Thanks - I hadn't heard of that epithet for him. Looking further I see that it was "Private Eye" that coined the nickname - which fits in with the relatively little I know of that magazine. I was surprised to see that he is still alive as I thought he was of a much earlier generation.

I started reading a novel years ago, a coming-of-age story about a velociraptor, of all things.

I put it down for good at the second iteration of the phrase, "with claws as sharp as Ginsu knives."

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    But now that I think about it, we still talk about "dialing" the phone
    I haven't heard anyone actually do that in so long I'm not even sure when was the last time, if ever. I just keep seeing people say we do that, even though the verb I actually see & hear people using in real life is always "call".

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    In the pilot episode, he was injected with symbiotic "translator microbes" and told that the rest had been too. Anyone with microbes heard anyone else as speaking the listener's own language. The microbes presumably replaced odd figures of speech with whatever phrasing would have made sense in the listener's language, but apparently couldn't quite manage it perfectly at all times; when he used the (already rather outdated) phrase "slicker than snot", Aeryn Sun got a disgusted look on her face and said "My translator microbes must have gotten that wrong".

There was also an episode in which they ended up temporarily on Earth in captivity/arrest. (John was still the only human to have met aliens, and this was his first time back, so the aliens weren't trusted and he wasn't trusted for bringing them back and having these wild tales about his adventures with them.) The authorities kept testing his claims about the microbes by having people speak various languages to them and having him demonstrate that he really knew what they were saying. At least one scene showed the aliens talking to each other, as seen & heard by the authorities, and their speech was garbled for the effect of what it "really" sounded like without the benefit of the microbes. (They actually just played normal speech backward.)

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Related XKCD: https://xkcd.com/890/
    I'm generally a fan of XKCD, but Star Wars is the wrong movie to make that particular complaint about.

Why question what a "falcon" is, but not question what a "captain" is? Or what "millennium" means? Or, to really drive my point home, what "the" means?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    In the pilot episode, he was injected with symbiotic "translator microbes" and told that the rest had been too.
    You'll need this fish in your ear.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    I haven't heard anyone actually do that in so long I'm not even sure when was the last time, if ever. I just keep seeing people say we do that, even though the verb I actually see & hear people using in real life is always "call".
    In these parts, you call a person, you dial a number. If I want to type in a number on my landline handset, I select a menu item labelled "dial". We still have dial-up modems, have important contacts on speed-dial, and when I make a call accidentally by sitting on my phone, I, um, buttock-dial.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    I started reading a novel years ago, a coming-of-age story about a velociraptor, of all things.

I put it down for good at the second iteration of the phrase, "with claws as sharp as Ginsu knives."
    I dunno, but maybe you were too hard on it? That doesn't sound like a story that takes itself too seriously.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post

To the movie's credit, though, another figure Rufus brought in was an entirely fictional musician from (IIRC) the late 21st Century.

I hear Hollywood are doing a Bill n Ted remake, so much for original movies

Quote Originally Posted by Launch window View Post
    I hear Hollywood are doing a Bill n Ted remake, so much for original movies
    Sequel, unless I'm mistaken, not a remake.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Red Dwarf is nothing but references to present day culture.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Your telling me that Vindaloos and smegheads do not exist in the future.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/