Thread: Terraforming Mars... probably not, says new paper

Unhappy Terraforming Mars... probably not, says new paper

There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

This quotation from the abstract provides an important caveat. (Emphasis added)

"we conclude that terraforming Mars is not possible using present-day technology."

It's an interesting study in that it helps better define the scope of aspects of the terraforming challenge, but I don't recall any suggestion, in fiction or non-fiction, that present-day technology would ever be up to the task.

Yes, but the key element was the amount of CO2 on Mars with which terraforming could be accomplished. True about the tech, though.

Nice infographic...

https://phys.org/news/2018-07-mars-t...echnology.html
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

Now if only we could find coal on Mars....nyuk

I remember the old game SimEarth had a terraform Mars scenario. IIRC, the first step for that was to lob several comets into the planet, to add water (if you added too many you ended up with a water world.). I almost wonder if something like might work, break-up some icy bodies (mine Saturn's rings?, comets?) to add volatiles. Of course, this isn't anything close to present-day technology.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I remember the old game SimEarth had a terraform Mars scenario. IIRC, the first step for that was to lob several comets into the planet, to add water (if you added too many you ended up with a water world.). I almost wonder if something like might work, break-up some icy bodies (mine Saturn's rings?, comets?) to add volatiles. Of course, this isn't anything close to present-day technology.
    The Isaac Asimov method of getting Saturn's icy minimoons, breaking them up, and sending them to Mars.

CO2 is deadly at high percentages anyway. Need something like lots of nitrogen and a stable fluorocarbon greenhouse gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    The Isaac Asimov method of getting Saturn's icy minimoons, breaking them up, and sending them to Mars.
    I remember reading that story many moons ago. (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Centaurs would be a better bet. Since they are not in stable orbits it wouldn't take as much to move them. 2060 Chiron looks to "become a short-period comet in about a million years," according to the wiki.

Would it be possible to build up another greenhouse gas? Say, methane?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

There's been talk of using chlorofluorocarbon greenhouse gases on mars. We could probably get the temperature up. That leaves the problem of getting the pressure up to something breathable using something nontoxic. I haven't heard about any large nitrate or nitride deposits on mars. Oxygen can be had from chlorate, but chlorine is not nice.