Thread: Child in Freefall ?....maybe not

Child in Freefall ?....maybe not

It seems the universe is endlessly populated with things that are mysterious. Yet when we look hard at circumstances, like rescue missions, we sometimes find the science makes us wonder if it was a rescue. Be ever the Doubting Thomas scientist. SEE:https://arxiv.org/abs/1807.05502

It was always bleedin' obvious the child had not fallen to that position. And it was also bleedin' obvious that the child was not hanging by his hands, but in fact standing on a ledge and holding on to the rail above his head. It wouldn't be the first time that journalists have told stories that were self-evidently untrue, for the sake of hyping up a bit of drama. But it's not at all clear to me that the only alternative to "journalists talked rubbish" is "it was all staged". I'd be very wary of that interpretation, particularly given the overtly racist agenda exhibited by some of the advocates of the "it was all staged" idea.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

On strange evidence, we saw a toddler who was somehow able to pull himself up and stand atop crib railing--almost looking "demon possessed." So I don't know exactly what the upper limit of a kid's strength is.

I would guess that the child fell off the top the railing to the concrete pad on the same level, then tumbled down to the top of next railing and stopped falling. I bet it hurt, but that is hardly free falling. More like a series of falls. You can see the child making upward progress, so they weren't hurt too bad to stand up and climb. Judging by the videos, the space between the concrete floor and the railing below is not more than 2 meters. I bet that it hurt a lot and took time to heal twisted joints and bruises.

This is about the same as a set of uneven bars and those women do grab the bars with their hands after free falling several meters. There is no set distance between the bars, but 180 cm is not too incredible. Considering the athlete may launch themselves over the top of the high bar and land on the lower bar, you are probably talking no more than 3 meters of free fall or equivalent speed. Accidents aren't pretty, but the are survivable and probably occur at speeds faster than simply free falling. Like the falling child, spinning and striking an object at an angle is the danger, not the distance covered or hand strength.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by trinitree88 View Post
    It seems the universe is endlessly populated with things that are mysterious. Yet when we look hard at circumstances, like rescue missions, we sometimes find the science makes us wonder if it was a rescue. Be ever the Doubting Thomas scientist. SEE:https://arxiv.org/abs/1807.05502
    "This suggests that the rescue of the child could have been staged"

Wasn't the rescue well filmed? So, they're really not suggesting that the rescue was staged, but that the plight of the child was staged? As Grant points out, all they've done is debunk some of the more sensational reportage.