Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All about your avatar

All about your avatar

I love the avatars on this site. However, a lot of times, the significance is lost on me. I often wonder why people pick the things they do. As visual place holders for names, they must have a special meaning. Want to share your avatar story?

My avatar is a photo of a bubble chamber, duplicated and rotated over a colorful background. The colors are supposed to be reminiscent of the old Mac OS 7 desktop pattern "Stained Glass".
    Solfe

It’s the names of the Apollo 15 crew in the style of the “John & Paul & Ringo & George” t-shirt. A friend of mine on another site created a bunch of space versions of the shirt a few years ago and I tend to use either this one or the one she did of space shuttle names as my avatar on different sites.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Right now it is an upside down version of twitter avatar, which is a stack of books with the new glasses on my laptop on the picnic table. Don't know why it is upside down. But here is my twitter profile so you can see what it should look like.
    https://twitter.com/BackroadAstro
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Figured out why image is upside down, I probably was holding the camera upside down when I took the picture.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

A rocket! Enough said.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

The man, the myth, and the mustache at the Grace Ridge Brewing Company in Homer, Alaska. It was a nice day with The Wife.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

still from Koyaanisqatsi.

I love some of Philip Glass's music.
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

The lion is a national symbol, originating from the coat of arms of our royal family. A few years ago I picked an orange theme to "support" our national soccer team in the World Cup (I bet they read here often!), and it kind of stuck. Not that I'm very nationalistic (an obsolete feeling in the internet world IMHO), but I do have some pride in all the things our tiny country achieved. So yeah, there was a reason for choosing the avatar, but not much deep important meaning to it. Nowadays I see the avatar a bit as the mod that roared. I like it, so I keep it.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

My avatar is me, when I was just under a year old. I've attached the full picture that it's cropped from here.

My father was a police officer, so the picture was actually taken at the police station. All of my siblings got similar photos when they were babies, too. The haircut was a result of my dad cutting my hair one day while my mom was in bed with a bad headache. She wasn't very happy with him when she saw it.

I usually claim it's from my juvenile delinquent days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mugshot.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	805.4 KB 
ID:	23487  
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I saw Wil Wheaton's 8-bit-esque avatar for his Tumblr blog a few years ago and decided to do a simplified version of that for myself. Minus Wil's fez. I use this avatar, or a version of it, several places online. I may have cheated on the hair color and thickness.

CJSF
    "What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    What does it mean? (What does it mean?)
    I'll put it in my thinking machine"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Thinking Machine"

lonelybirder.org

Mine is of my favorite nebula, The Hourglass. I like to think that as we look out into space, it's blue eyed center looks back ;-)

Professor Lucius Brane: reclusive inventor, absent-minded genius and caramel addict. The picture was drawn by Leslie Stead, for Captain W.E. Johns‘s Kings of Space novels.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

. . . I let ToSeek pick it out.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

This is a Gallant Knight chess set, similar to the one my parents got for me when I was, perhaps, nine years old. I found a very nice photograph online years ago. I'd credit the photographer id I knew the name.

I've always been impressed by the shade of red used used by G.K. in their sets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chessRed.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	720.7 KB 
ID:	23488
    Last edited by DonM435; 2018-Aug-10 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Added picture

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Professor Lucius Brane: reclusive inventor, absent-minded genius and caramel addict. The picture was drawn by Leslie Stead, for Captain W.E. Johns‘s Kings of Space novels.
    Hmmm, I really like caramel.

[segway...]

As most know, about 10 years ago, it was here in Bad Astronomy that the Sun's color ambiguity was raised and it was the perfect project for an amateur to investigate given that its resolution would not likely advance hard science one iota, but still socially interesting. Many members participated in the discussion.

My avatar is a picture that serves as the key objective evidence to dispel the idea that the Sun's true color (as seen attenuated in space) has any hint of yellow in it. It is like Galileo's multi phase discovery of Venus debunking Ptolemy. [The impact has him favored, I suppose.] Yet my avatar is a reminder that sometimes the answer to a question can be simple, so it's a humbling avatar as well, at least for this caramel-eating amateur heliochromologist. If I were a little smarter I would have saved a lot of effort in falsifying the "yellow Sun" hypothesis. These efforts included: sp, irr. comparisons, conversions to photon flux, creating some crude instruments to adjust the spectrum including one initial effort that caught my pants on fire (well, a tall laminar column of smoke but the pain was growing quickly), the SAD (Spectral Attenuation Device; valued at 25 cents) to overcome the eye's color constancy effects, a 25th anniversary night with technician Roy Lorenz, instead of with my wife, imaging a solar twin or two at Kitt Peak, etc.

The avatar is a picture taken by Dr. Drew Potter and Roy who, upon request, took this image from the McMath-Pierce solar telescope projection table. They added the R,G,B color pieces to confirm color accuracy. So the answer is found in the question, "If this projection is pure white then how can replacing the blue-ended colors of the spectrum caused by atmospheric extinctions produce a yellow star?" The Sun ain't yeller!

[The history behind the yellow term is another story and an interesting one.]
    Last edited by George; 2018-Aug-10 at 05:00 PM. Reason: grammar
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

A screenshot of a prototype of the 3-D version of Sudoku I wrote as an app Android.
    Depending on whom you ask, everything is relative.

A red blurred reversed version of John Sibbick's 1994 illustration of a rhomaleosaurus:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1077809

Rotated from GrapesOfWrath (kilopi, milli360, A Thousand Pardons, hhEb09'1) avatar.

I don't think I knew the artist's name until today, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline55 View Post
    A screenshot of a prototype of the 3-D version of Sudoku I wrote as an app Android.
    3-D Sudoku? Is your app available for download from Google Play, or anywhere else?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Mine is a series of images I shot of the total lunar eclipse on May 16, 2003. I used my 10-inch Dobsonian and shot afocally through the eyepiece. I later merged the individual shots into a single image.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    Mine is of my favorite nebula, The Hourglass. I like to think that as we look out into space, it's blue eyed center looks back ;-)
    When I was about eight years old, I had one of those oversized astronomy books from the library with black pages and space images printed big in a style kind of reminiscent of the Eyewitness books (except with black backgrounds, not white, of course), and the page with the Hourglass Nebula on it would give me the heebie-jeebies because it looked like a giant eye staring back at me, so I would turn the page really quickly. Now I just think it looks cool.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    3-D Sudoku? Is your app available for download from Google Play, or anywhere else?
    Not yet. I'll send you more info privately rather than derail this thread.
    Depending on whom you ask, everything is relative.

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    A red blurred reversed version of John Sibbick's 1994 illustration of a rhomaleosaurus:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1077809

Rotated from GrapesOfWrath (kilopi, milli360, A Thousand Pardons, hhEb09'1) avatar.
    Is there an accumulative post count one of you can give us?
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

My first large trebuchet, hurling my very first pumpkin!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

A set of dice I made from blanks.

The faces are thus:
    D1: 1 2 2 3 3 4
    D2: - 1 2 3 4 5
    D3: 2 4 5 6 7 9

These 3 dice, despite having
    - numbers greater than 6
    - duplicate numbers on the same die
    - empty faces (zero)

will roll the exact same sums at the exact same frequencies as a set of 3 fair dice.

From this thread:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/thread...e.74121/page-2

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Is there an accumulative post count one of you can give us?
    Roughly. The first four stopped at kilopi, so 4x3000, plus 11K for hhEb, 8K for now, that's 31K woot! I betcha I'm close to 31415.9 posts right now. Thanks for asking!

ETA: actually, 30375

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Roughly. The first four stopped at kilopi, so 4x3000, plus 11K for hhEb, 8K for now, that's 31K woot! I betcha I'm close to 31415.9 posts right now. Thanks for asking!

ETA: actually, 30375
    Do posts in the mod meeting room count?
    Formerly Frog march.

Newscaster: ... But I've just had a report that a representative of Disaster Area met with the environmentalists this morning and had them all shot, so now nothing stands in the way of the concert going ahead this afternoon on this beautiful sunny day.

They sure do! One moderator has a thread with 10 thousand bottles of beer on the wall

Clipped from a pic of a cat in a flowerpot. (Probable copyright violation, if I'm honest.)

I liked the face-palm.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

The daughter of Red Death, a super-villain from The Venture Bros.

I picked it because the scene that it's from made me weep with laughter; it's just so incongruous.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Mine is a photo I took of the Southern Alps, in New Zealand's South Island, reflected in Lake Mathieson (near Fox Glacier). I was fooling around with the settings on my camera and liked the result.