Thread: If the Earth got cold enough...

If the Earth got cold enough...

would these kind of things happen?

He wasn't just making up those ideas. Odd things happen in a world that's about as cold as can be, and just when you think matter would be frozen dead, it takes on a strange new life. A slimy stuff comes crawling toward the Nest, just like an animal snuffing for heat—that's the liquid helium. And once, when I was little, a bolt of lightning—not even Pa could figure where it came from—hit the nearby steeple and crawled up and down it for weeks, until the glow finally died.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/51461...-h/51461-h.htm
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Also, how far away could we detect a Black Hole big enough to turn the Earth into a rogue planet?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

"A Pail of Air" is a classic, but it's not exactly a documentary. For liquid helium to form, the Earth would have to pretty close to equilibrium with the Cosmic Microwave Background, something that would take a geological time scale to happen. Even if in equilibrium with CMBR, it would still be too warm for superfluid liquid helium, which I presume is what Leiber is invoking with the "liquid helium crawling about" thing.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I know that Grant.
    The CMB is about 2.7, superfluid helium is about 2.2.
    I meant IF it could get that cold, would this happen, all liquid helium puddles be equal height, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    I know that Grant.
    The CMB is about 2.7, superfluid helium is about 2.2.
    I meant IF it could get that cold, would this happen, all liquid helium puddles be equal height, etc.
    "A Pail Of Air" was a bit of red herring, then.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

If an Earth-like planet were embedded in the Boomerang nebula, with a temperature of 1K, then some of these superfluid effects might happen.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boomerang_Nebula
    Not much helium on an Earth-like planet, so you might not notice the weirdness.

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    If an Earth-like planet were embedded in the Boomerang nebula, with a temperature of 1K, then some of these superfluid effects might happen.
    Would they, though? Preplanetary nebulae are rarified structure that persists for only a few thousand years. Would a rocky object the size of the Earth be significantly cooled? I suspect it would simply heat the local gas.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

There's a lovely video from 1963: Alfred Leitner - Liquid Helium II the Superfluid
    In 1963, Alfred Leitner discussed the properties of liquid Helium-4 and how this substance can attain the phase of superfluidity, a liquid with zero viscosity, zero entropy, and infinite thermal conductivity. Liquids in a superfluid state will give rise to a phenomenon called the "second
    37 minutes of vast fun!

How about superconductivity? Would lightning slither on metal?

The current would flow to earth really, really quickly. A superconducting lightning rod would be an extremely unspectacular thing.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by Squink View Post
    There's a lovely video from 1963: Alfred Leitner - Liquid Helium II the Superfluid

37 minutes of vast fun!
    That is amazing! Why aren't there more films like this? Why don't we still make films like this?
    Solfe